Highlighted
by Established Contributor
Established Contributor

NTP server ntp.madesimpletechnology.com has stopped responding

Since around midday on the 6th of Feb the NTP messages have stopped appearing in the system.log file. I have just noticed this as I had to restart the router, but the time is now set to 01 Jan. When I checked back through the log I could see where the NTP messages stopped.

14:45:19, 06 Feb. Device connected: 192.168.1.247, 94:65:2d:6e:b1:f3, OnePlus5, lease time is 172800 seconds
14:23:17, 06 Feb. Device connected: 192.168.1.157, ac:bc:32:b6:fa:09, Cosmos-MBP, lease time is 172800 seconds
14:23:15, 06 Feb. Device connected: 192.168.1.157, ac:bc:32:b6:fa:09, Cosmos-MBP, lease time is 172800 seconds
13:52:05, 06 Feb. Device connected: 192.168.1.157, ac:bc:32:b6:fa:09, Cosmos-MBP, lease time is 172800 seconds
11:02:23, 06 Feb. Time is synced to NTP server
10:02:07, 06 Feb. Time is synced to NTP server
09:01:51, 06 Feb. Time is synced to NTP server
08:01:35, 06 Feb. Time is synced to NTP server

If I try a command line client then there is no response:

$ sntp ntp.madesimpletechnology.com
sntp 4.2.8p10@1.3728-o (1)
kod_init_kod_db(): Cannot open KoD db file /var/db/ntp-kod: No such file or directory
ntp.madesimpletechnology.com 78.33.48.89 no UCST response after 5 seconds 

Who can get this service restored, and why is it locked to this single server? If it were possible to edit it then I could just change to a public one that does work.

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: NTP server ntp.madesimpletechnology.com has stopped responding

Yes, my Brightbox 2 stopped syncing the NTP on 6 Feb but I haven't rebooted it since. So it's OK.

You will need to raise this with EE.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
Established Contributor

EE weren't able to shed much light on this problem. The only suggestions they had were to reset my BrightBox 2 to factory defaults, and to send out a newer, Smart Hub. I don't think a factory reset will do much good. A new Smart Hub may also the same bad NTP server, but if it allows the NTP server to be changed then that would be a fix. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

I think the EE SH uses a different NTP, but can't be sure as it's hard-coded & isn't even viewable in its settings unlike the Brightbox. The EE SH is functionally far weaker than the Brightbox.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
Established Contributor

I tried emailing madesimpletechnology.com, but it bounced. On their site it had a partner company listed netlynkdirect.com, that seem to run part of the infrastructure for them, such as their mail server. EE confirmed that both companies are involved with set up and provisioning for EE hardware. I emailed netlynkdirect.com and told them of the email bouncing and the broken name server. I didn't get a reply, but within the hour it has stated to work again. Most likely a turn it off, turn it back on solution. I wonder how long it will last.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks. Yes, mine came back at 13:11.

Highlighted
Established Contributor

The EE SH is functionally far weaker than the Brightbox.

Wow, I didn't think it was possible to get any worse than the BrightBox 😲

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Why, what's wrong with it in your eyes?

Highlighted
Established Contributor

See my previous posts about it lacking features. Where is the detailed error and statistics reporting? A DHCP server that can link the hostnames and IP addresses that it generates to a DNS lookup? An ability to understand MAC addresses from Virtual Machines? Now we know that a hardcoded NTP server is used, OK you get to see what it is, but you cannot change it. Guest wireless network with restricted local access - if it's there I cannot find it. 

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

The EE SH does not have these facilities that the Brightbox has:

1. Detailed error stats & reporting (you wanted).
  2. Multi SSIDs & WLANs with IP isolation (you wanted as Guest network).
  3. QoS.
  4. Bandwidth Control.
  5. MAC Filtering.
  6. URL Blocking
  7. Intrusion Detection.
  8. & so on in no particular order.

I never understood your Virtual Machines reqt. but it is out-the--ordinary & I bet the EE SH is no better at handling it.

Highlighted
Established Contributor

I would not consider the stats provided by the Brightbox as very comprehensive, and by Guest network feature I mean ticking a box, not having to manually set up an SSID, WAN and all the necessary IP filtering options. The other functions I consider deficient in the Brightbox are available elsewhere, but of course EE doesn't support anything but their own hardware. I wasn't questioning your assertion that the EE SH would be worse, your points 3 onwards show as much. 

If you don't understand the finer points of networking a VM then sure, it isn't something you need. But I do, everyday.

Highlighted
by
Visitor

I had the same problem but with Brightbox 1. They sent a new box but it does exactly the same! ie same time server not connecting and cannot alter the time server address. firmware was 2018 so not surprising. only way to get timed access control is to reset the router at midnight. works OK until next powercut!

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.