by Clecky1 Contributor
Contributor

My new fibre bb is far slower than the standard EE bb package I've had why?

I  upgraded to fibre and it went live yesterday. All my devices are wireless including laptop. When I first installed and did speed test with laptop it registered a great 30+Mbps. Later when using iPAd etc I thought it was all a bit slow and did tests with that. I'm getting  download speeds of between 3 and 7 Mbps!! This is unacceptable! I've had standard EE bband with router in same location for past 6 years or so and my download speeds before I changed were typically 12/13 Mbps on any device used in any of the locations in my small home. Any explaination before I ring up? I'm not a technical person so any suggestions need to be written in the simplest of terms! Many thanks. 
12 REPLIES 12
by Clecky1 Contributor
Contributor

EE Fibre not delivering fast be. Slower than old service. HELP please

I upgraded to fibre be yesterday having been a standard EE bb package for years.  All my devices are wireless including laptop. When I first installed and did speed test with laptop it registered a great 30+Mbps. Later when using iPAd etc I thought it was all a bit slow and did tests with that. I'm getting download speeds of between 3 and 7 Mbps!! This is unacceptable! I've had standard EE bband with router in same location for past 6 years or so and my download speeds before I changed were typically 12/13 Mbps on any device used in any of the locations in my small home. Any explaination before I ring up? I'm not a technical person so any suggestions need to be written in the simpl

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: My new fibre bb is far slower than the standard EE bb package I've had why?

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the steps and provide the data as requested in the Need Help with Your Home Broadband Speed or Connection? sticky. This will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: EE Fibre not delivering fast be. Slower than old service. HELP please

Hi @Clecky1,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I would get in touch with customer services so our technical experts can look into this for you.

They'll be more than happy to get this sorted out for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

James

by Clecky1 Contributor
Contributor

Hi
Its a tad confusing as the different speed checkers show vastly differing results! It seems it could be the iPad On my Laptap I'm getting 35Mbps but on my mobile its 18Mbps and IPad its now 11.4 Mbps, though other testers measure it as being 4,5 or even 2 Mbps. All located in the area and on the wifi. Have you any thoughts as I don’t fancy ringing up CS based on past experience! Also, why such variation? I was told that there was no traffic management on the fibre service so the speed should be consistent.
Cheers
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Speedtests can often be unreliable & variable. Your iPad is running over WiFi but your lappy may be running wired which is much more consistent.

Anyway EE is not selling you throughput speeds as measured by speedtests. It's in the business of supplying you with connection speeds which we would be able to assess if only you would post the info. I requested earlier.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Clecky1 Contributor
Contributor

Hello
As I said in my posts, all devices are operating wirelessly as they have done for years with the standard, non Fibre EE broadband service . On that, which I had for many years, ALL devices operated at around the same speed. I was SOLD an upgrade to the fibre service with the promise that speeds would be faster than copper. I am not getting faster speeds on my IPad. My laptop is not a wired connection. I was also SOLD an upgrade being told that EE fibre was not traffic managed. C

Sent from my iPad
by
EE Employee

Hi @Clecky1 and welcome to the community.

Please do follow the requests by @XRaySpeX within his speed and connection help guide, this will allow him to diagnose any issues.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Clecky1 wrote:
I was SOLD an upgrade to the fibre service with the promise that speeds would be faster than copper. I am not getting faster speeds

There are speeds & speeds. You may be talking about throughput speeds but all ISPs are only talking about connection speeds. If you had read your quotes & adverts carefully you would have see that they are only offering connection speeds, alongside a disclaimer that actual speeds will be reduced by a myriad of things.

Anyway, there could well be good reasons why your fibre throughput is slower than ADSL which we might be able to advise you on how to overcome if only we had the necessary info, which so far you have resisted supplying.

by Clecky1 Contributor
Contributor

Not resisted in giving information. When I am back at my home with access I will provide it. I thought there might have been a simple answer. EE itself says to use certain speed testers to check internet speed, clearly as I way to encourage people to sign up for something faster. To be honest it’s all very well saying what providers are actually selling, but agents are clearly not giving that level of detail when they sell over the phone. They basically say using my devices on my home internet network WILL be faster than my old package.
As I say above, I will provide the detail you want, though I’m not sure that will answer why the iPad is slower, when tested using same speed testers as used for testing mobile hone and laptop wireless access, in same location and at same time of day bar a minute.
Thanks
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, let us see. We won't know till we try. There may very well be a simple answer but w/out the complete facts, who can say?

by Clecky1 Contributor
Contributor

Hi
At moment I can't get access to the router etc to provide the information you want. I will be able to tomorrow . In the meantime please could you explain why now watching iPlayer catch up on my TV which is a wired connection not wireless, it is buffering regularly with out of sync lip etc. Which never happened on such a regular basis with non fiber internet. I have been sold this service on premise that fibre is a better quality of broadband service so I'm baffled that everything seems worse! I need to know so I can cancel my subscription within the period. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad
by Grand Master
Grand Master

I'm sorry, I can't explain anything now until I can see the characteristics if your specific line so that I might be able to diagnose the causes. It could be many things.

When did you sign up for fibre? Your 14-day cooling off period starts from then not from activation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.