by Helen21
Explorer

My broadband doesn't reach all the rooms in my flat

It works fine in the living room (where router is)  and bedroom next door its ok in kitchen, but the bathroom and other bedroom it just keeps cutting out and saying poor signal, so if I walk out of those rooms it works fine again, I have the super fast broadband thingy (not technically minded) which I upgraded to about 3 months ago

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: My broadband doesn't reach all the rooms in my flat

@Helen21   You could try moving the router to a different location if you can, you could purchase a wifi repeater.  This device can be put in to another room and it picks up the signal from your router and  extends the signal of the original router to give you a better signal in more areas for your home.   You can get these from places like curry’s.   

by Grand Master
Grand Master

EE sell a WiFi Booster Pack . Other models such as Powerline & Devolo are available in the shops & online.

They work by extending your signal via your electricity mains.

The super fast broadband thingy is between you & the exchange. The wireless within your home is another matter & can be unreliable & variable and affected by the structure of your flat.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

You could install a WiFi analyser on your device to see what chanels are least used, and what other devices from other flats are drowning out your WiFi signal. Once you have seen the least congested channels, change the channel you use on the router.

That said, many modern flats and houses are built in a way that limits WiFi signals, so an extender may be the only option.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Helen21,

Welcome to the EE Community. Smiley Happy

I see you have already had some great answers to your query.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Thanks

James

by Helen21
Explorer

Would this be a problem with the router, or something that ee should look at, seen as I'm not getting what I am paying for, its a small 2 bedroom flat so their shouldn't really be a problem, especially one to which I should have to pay extra money for 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Helen21

We have a broadband technical support team who will be able to help you with this.

Please let us know how you get on.

Chris

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Helen21 wrote:

Would this be a problem with the router, or something that ee should look at, seen as I'm not getting what I am paying for, its a small 2 bedroom flat so their shouldn't really be a problem, especially one to which I should have to pay extra money for 

Wifi issues are not for EE to diagnose but help is at hand here. The router is most likely performing as it should.  However there are things that can be done to improve wifi reach to ther rooms.

1     move the router up to give a better "line of sight" to the hard to reach parts of the house, and move it away from TV's cordless phone docking stations. Don't keep at floor level.

2     swap the wifi channel in the router settings... (or use a wifi scanner to determine what channels your neighbours are on - but a simple swap might sort it straight away).

3     test the wifi with smart phone to see if you get better strength.

4     Install a homeplug/devolo system - this is easier to set up in a flat.

5     or install a wifi repeater - this is tricky as you need to install it in an area of strong wifi (not the dead zone in the bedroom) as it needs a good signal to rebroadcast it further.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.