by Molikel84
Explorer

Moving router

Hi, I am currently redecorating my lounge and need to move my black box to the other side of the room, how do I do this?

14 REPLIES 14
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Moving router

Hi,

What do you mean? You need an extension installing or your socket/line moving?

You can buy socket kits something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EXTENSION-CABLE-TELEPHONE-FIXINGS-ADAPTOR/dp/B00WEGT8ME/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8...

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Molikel84
Explorer

I just need a longer wire connecting from phone line to black box

by
EE Employee

Hi @Molikel84 and welcome to the community.

I do believe you need an RJ11 cable, but i'm sure @XRaySpeX can confirm this. 

Many thanks,

Lee

by Molikel84
Explorer

How do I get one please

by
EE Employee

Hi @Molikel84 

You can purchase one from the BT Shop.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Molikel84
Explorer

Even though I'm with ee,I know that's a dumb question but I am not the brightest when it comes to computer stuff

by
EE Employee

Hi @Molikel84

Yeah, you are fine as the cable does not have any difference to the provider.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Molikel84
Explorer

Thank you so much

by
EE Employee

No problems @Molikel84

But before you do buy one please let me have this confirmed by @XRaySpeX.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Lee_H wrote:

@Hi @Molikel84 

You can purchase one from the BT Shop.

Many thanks,

Lee

@Molikel84

If you just want to run a longer cable then this one @Lee_H has highlighted is fine. You can get these cables from many outlets in many different sizes.

Thanks,

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, RJ11 is correct for extending the ADSL cable from the filter to the router, such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alida-Systems-10m-ADSL-Cable/dp/B0095FQ5K0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8... . This is not the phone extension cable that @Northerner linked - diff connectors.

@Lee_H: I don't think your 1 is right either. It has an RJ45 at 1 end. You need RJ11 to RJ11.

However it is best to keep this as short as poss. It is preferable to extend the Ethernet cable (RJ45) between router & PC.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Yes, RJ11 is correct for extending the ADSL cable from the filter to the router, such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alida-Systems-10m-ADSL-Cable/dp/B0095FQ5K0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8... . This is not the phone extension cable that @Northerner linked - diff connectors.

@Lee_H: I don't think your 1 is right either. It has an RJ45 at 1 end. You need RJ11 to RJ11.

However it is best to keep this as short as poss. It is preferable to extend the Ethernet cable (RJ45) between router & PC.

@XRaySpeX

I know I linked to another solution as the OP was unclear in their initial post. They may want a tidier option than just a cable across the floor. 

Thanks, 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Northerner: They are both cables; yours a phone extension, mine an ADSL extension. They can either take the same route; across floor or not.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

Thank you for the clarifying @XRaySpeX of the cables.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.