by karlj Investigator
Investigator

Mis-sold Fibre

So after several months of enduring normal broadband that regularly disconnected and when it did connect was regularly below 1Mbps I took the decision to upgrade to Fibre.  Called EE and was told no problem, we'll do that for you, you will go live on the 1st of February and we will send you a new router.  By 30th Jan (today), with no further contact from EE and with no router having arrived and with the existing broadband worse than ever (but putting up with it as after all I am going live on to fibre in two days) I rang to ask when the router would arrive.  I am then told it has not been sent because I'm not going live on the 1st Feb, instead I have been added to a waiting list and that there will be a review with BT re fibre availability on the 8th Feb but no indication of whether or not that will allow the upgrade to fibre to proceed.  So I have already been completely mis-sold, not exactly the happiest of bunnies at this point.  Next logical step is, OK then please conduct checks on my existing service for the reasons already mentioned.  Sorry, but we cannot check your line as you have signed up to switch to fibre and the only way to get around this is to cancel the upgrade.  Unbelievable, what kind of system is this that puts the needs of the customer behind the convenience of the provider?  OK, so cancel the upgrade as it was completely mis-sold in the first place.  Right, that has been cancelled for you but it will take up to 24 hours for the system to recognise the cancellation so I can't do any checks until tomorrow.  This just keeps getting better and better.  Right I want to make a formal complaint, so done that and I have been offered £15, as obviously that makes a pathetic existing broadband service bearable and a non-existent mis-sold upgrade as no problem at all.  This is just a complete joke, EE you have no clue what customer service is.

14 REPLIES 14
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Mis-sold Fibre

If you would like help with your existing BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further:

1. Post your full router stats. For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page. Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by karlj Investigator
Investigator

" For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page. Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues."

Login where?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

At http://192.168.1.1 as per label on router.

by karlj Investigator
Investigator

STATUS   Configured Current Line Status -- UP Link Type -- Fast Path Operation Mode Automatic G.992.3 (ADSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATION Upstream 907 (Kbps) Downstream 3552 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 6.8 (dB) 6.6 (dB) Line Attenuation 33.3 (dB) 55.0 (dB)
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator Output Power 12.6 (dBm) 0.0 (dBm) Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0 Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- -- Fast Path CRC Error 0 0 Interleaved Path CRC Error -- -- Loss Of Signal Defect 0 0 Fast Path HEC Error STR 4420 42045 Interleaved Path HEC Error -- -- Error Seconds 6999 2994
STATISTICS Received Data 34359738 (Kbits) Transmitted Data 17235521 (Kbits)
by karlj Investigator
Investigator

SYSTEM LOG This page shows various system events like administrator login/logout, broadband connection status.

System Uptime is: 214:45:35
by karlj Investigator
Investigator
by karlj Investigator
Investigator

by karlj Investigator
Investigator

I can't copy the table to paste it, and I can't attach it here if I save it as a jpeg, is there a knack to it I am missing?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You should be able to copy & paste it.

by karlj Investigator
Investigator

It won't let me, if I right click anywhere on the page I get nothing.  If I highlight then right click on the highlighted text I get nothing, no options of any kind.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You ADSL BB connection is about as good as it's gonna get.

by karlj Investigator
Investigator

Read more
Well I'm guessing that that is it as a snapshot as using the BT checker the speed is regularly below 1Mbps, sometimes less than 0.5, and at least 50 times a day it is not working at all and I have to wait for it to re-connect after telling me that the likes of bbc.co.uk server address is not recognised.  That doesn't sound as good as it gets to me.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Try plugging your router into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.