by dmmacvicar Investigator
Investigator

MAX 1 to 2 Regrade

Today I have just went through a regrade to move from Max1 to Max2.( for some reason 2 was not available during my initial order.) So far I have not noticed any speed difference and currently getting approx 110/120 Mbps Down & 20 Mbps up which was the same prior to regrade.

I did think it was quite low as Im approx 100m from Cabinet as crow flies. According to the BTW I should be achieving a lot higher. When I called EE customer services they told me to wait 10 days for connection to stabilise but surely once the regrade went through I Should have noticed a big jump initially? Hopefully someone can advise.

Cheers

Dave

Untitled22.jpgUntitled11.jpg

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Investigator
Solution

Re: MAX 1 to 2 Regrade

Well Engineer has been yesterday and unfortunatly it looks like my issues are due to having aluminum conductors throughout my line. When doing his tests he had a breakout point approx 40M from the Cabinet and even by that point the Sync speed had dropped below 300Mbps. He reterminated two different connection points and it seems to have helped but unfortunatly, even though im approximatly 100M from the cabinet, the max I will achieve will be about 150/160Mbps. He did also say that the cable was that brittle that it was breaking in his hand and it was likely my speed with also deteriorate over time. Alot of wasted money on BTs part as engineer says  all propertys connect to that cabinet have aliminum lines. Can see this being a major issue with G.Fast instalations throughout the UK. 

14 REPLIES 14
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, your BT speedtester is showing you are getting 250 Meg, if you can rely on it, which you obviously don't. Let's see what you are really getting with a reliable speedtest.

Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

What are all the speed estimates quoted by EE in your MyEE for BB under Your broadband speed ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Thanks for the reply Xrayspex. Test was as above and your correct the Speedtester site is drivel. I know at midnight last my connection reset and I presumed I would get higher speed from then on. The DL Ip profile stayed the same where as my UP change to 50meg but my throughput is still about 20meg.

As you can see im even on the Fibremax 1 I still wasnt receiving the minimum speed that the said I should get.

[Image rejected due to it containing personal information]

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What are all the speed estimates quoted by EE in your MyEE for BB under Your broadband speed ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

I cant access that just now as "sites under maintenance" Will they not be the same as in the picture above as that was the option that came up when I interned my postcode and number into EEs broadband checker. 277mb Minimum guaranteed speed and 298-330 estimated speed.

Im nearly sat on the cabinet so no reason why I shouldn't be seeing top speeds. Ive just got a sneaky feeling that my speeds are somehow still locked. I had a fault unknown to me in the 10 day DLM initialisation period and think this may have caused something to restrict my line. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sorry, I forgot it was down at the mo'. When it comes back then.

No, what you see above is just an offer & therefore non-contractual. What's in MyEE is their acceptance & therefore contractual. They may v. well be similar but MyEE will include guarantees which their estimate above doesn't. I'm trying to guide you to stand upon their guarantees if all else fails.

The 10-day initialisation period is an urban myth. The DLM is monitoring your line constantly.

Investigator

Thats fair enough. I appreciate your help. Ill fire it up once the site come live again. In fairness the guy I spoke to when ordering did acknowledge the speed I had on Max 1 was on the low side but did say the "issue" may sort itself once the regrade is completed. So far it doesnt seem to be the case.

Investigator

This was the confirmation email I received from them

Untitled44.jpg

by Grand Master
Grand Master

EE are guaranteeing your sync speed as at least 277 Meg, not your speedtest throughput. You can't see your sync speed due to the use of the locked G.Fast modem. However your throughput should only be about 4% less then sync speed, say about 120 Meg as you thought in your OP.

You should eventually complain to EE that you are getting well below their Min. Guaranteed Download Speed, indeed only less than half, but only after the 2 weeks that they stipulate & then give them time to put it right.

N.B. EE's Min. Guaranteed Download Speed of 277 Meg is BTw's Handback Threshold on a G.Fast Impacted line. That doesn't necessarily mean you have an Impacted line but just the way EE does it unlike all other ISPs who use the Clean line estimates.

Investigator

Engineer booked for tomorrow. Seemingly an IP Profile mismatch or something of the likes. Hopefully get to the bottom of the issue tomorrow. I will update on my progress.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Not plausible as the IPP is derived from the sync speed.

by
EE Community Team

Hi @dmmacvicar,

I'm glad to here you are on your way to getting this resolved.

Let us know how you get on today once the engineer has been.

Alex 🙂

Investigator
Solution

Well Engineer has been yesterday and unfortunatly it looks like my issues are due to having aluminum conductors throughout my line. When doing his tests he had a breakout point approx 40M from the Cabinet and even by that point the Sync speed had dropped below 300Mbps. He reterminated two different connection points and it seems to have helped but unfortunatly, even though im approximatly 100M from the cabinet, the max I will achieve will be about 150/160Mbps. He did also say that the cable was that brittle that it was breaking in his hand and it was likely my speed with also deteriorate over time. Alot of wasted money on BTs part as engineer says  all propertys connect to that cabinet have aliminum lines. Can see this being a major issue with G.Fast instalations throughout the UK. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @dmmacvicar

Thank you very much for keeping us updated. 

I am glad to hear what the engineer has done has helped improve. 

Have a great Sunday,

Katie 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, you can just get EE to downgrade you back to Fibre Max 1 as you're not getting their Guaranteed Min Speed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.