by sandypike Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Low IP Profile?

Hi,

In a previous post I reported the problems I had with EE g.fast installation and subsequent performance (lower than expected and highly variable speeds):

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-home-phone/Broadband-Activation/m-p/709148/highlight/true#M3...

I never got to the bottom of it and was too busy at the time to persist with looking into it.

Anyway I've decided to look into it again and I wonder if my IP Profile has been set too low?

The BT Wholesale line check suggests I should be getting pretty close to 330Mbps however I only get around 200Mbps and sometimes much less:

BT_wholesale_line_checker.png

and here are the results from the BT Wholesale speed test:

BT_wholesale_speed_test.png

So if I understand this correctly, it looks like my line is capable of 842.92 Mbps but the IP Profile has been set to 236.47 Mbps.

With good results from the BT Wholesale line checker and speed test shouldn't my IP Profile be much closer to 330Mbps?

Are there any EE employees on here who can reset my IP Profile?  Maybe it'll re-sync closer to 330Mbps?

Thanks!

sandypike

15 REPLIES 15
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Low IP Profile?

Hi @sandypike

unfortunately we don't have access to your account in the community, we are just able to provide advice and support. Your best bet is to call customer services and they can look into this for you and hopefully resolve your issue. Let us know how you get on. 

Established Contributor

Is there an email address for EE Broadband technical support?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

EE provides no email contact.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

It's pointless looking at your IPP & even less point using the BTw speedtester with its nonsensical results. It is impossible that your current download speed is 842 Meg & even more impossible that your line is ever capable of that. The Max Achievable Speed of 236 Meg is more like that.

EE don't set your IPP. It follows from your sync speed usually at about 96.8%. Therefore you should be studying your sync speed. Trouble is you can't see that from the locked G.Fast modem, so we'll have to estimate it.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. Please run the BT Broadband Availability Checker again for your phone number & post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. Don't use the Address Checker, or the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Watkins07: Please let those of us who know about such things take a look at it before so quickly referring the OP to EE. We wouldn't want them to have to pay out for fixing any wiring faults in their own home.

Highlighted
Established Contributor

So why is my sync speed so low versus the BT Wholesale line checker and the estimate speed (290-330Mbps) that EE provided when I placed my order?

Also I'm not convinced that the official speed tester is "nonsensical". While the max sync speed allowed for this product is around 330Mbps I suspect my line and the g.fast modem and equipment in the cabinet are capable of much much more. I'm in a modern building (modern wiring) and the cabinet is outside the front door, g.fast should be capable of circa 1Gbps over short distances .

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You haven't posted anything showing anything to do with your true sync speed.

G.Fast has an absolute max sync speed of 330 Meg even when you are on top of the cab. So the BTw is reporting a ridiculous current throughput speed. As I said the Max Attainable Speed is closer to what your line should be capable of.

I'm unable to comment further until I see the data I requested.

What was the Min. Guaranteed Down Speed that EE gave you on sign-up?

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@XRaySpeX I was merely responding to the request for someone to access his account from EE on here.  My apologies if this was misleading in any way at all.  I’m not sure how my response would result in paying for wiring faults by speaking with somebody though?

Established Contributor

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Watkins07: That's OK. I don't see that OP asked to access his a/c. His IP Profile is not on his EE a/c.

Sometimes low speeds are caused by bad phone wiring internally in the home for which the user is responsible. Getting EE to call out an OR eng to investigate before you know what's what could result in them fixing the wiring & raising a charge of about £130. There's v. little that EE can do themselves to investigate from their end & the line externally & connection belongs to OR.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks!

The BTw Checker confirms you have a Clean G.Fast line. So you should be getting about 330 Meg sync speed in any case with a Handback Threshold of 289 Meg. Just what did EE guarantee as you min down sync speed?

It also confirms you were syncing at 246 Meg yesterday in line with the IPP reported by the BTw speedtester being 97% of sync.

Linky doesn't compute; has a space at end. Corrected:

@sandypike wrote:

2. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1549217653669232355 .

This speedtest ahows a much more reasonable throughput of 200 Meg. It's a bit lower than I would expect, 233 Meg, but that's speedtests for you.

Established Contributor

When I went through the order process it estimated 290-330Mbps.

After the order was placed I got this in an email:

Screenshot_20190203-185050.png

A guarantee of 188.9Mbps seems cheeky when my line seems to be capable of much closer to 330Mbps . I've no idea how they calculate that number. It feels like they've set it very low to avoid dealing with any problem.  

I have been seeing speeds less than 188.9Mbps.

By the way I never got an email after 2 weeks with the stabilized speed report. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Can't see where EE got a figure of 189 Meg. Even BTw give the lowest (Impacted) Handback Threshold of 263 Meg & my experience is that what EE quotes. Unfortunately your sync speed is well above EE's Guaranteed Min. There's not much you can complain to EE about as your sync speed is within their estimated range.

There was a similar case recently where upon an OR eng investigating the characteristics of the landline between the cab & the home it was discovered that the line was made of aluminium & this would account for speeds well below estimated. Perhaps EE are somehow aware of this, but I can't see how when BTw doesn't recognise it & that's where EE derive their figures.

Can you repeat the BT Broadband Availability Checker but this time use the Address Checker at the foot of the page?

Established Contributor

Address checker:

Screenshot_20190203-192428~2.png

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I'm surprised at such extremely (I would say impossibly) high Handback Thresholds. I was expecting to see the 189 Meg there as EE could only have used the Address Checker when you applied to them as you had no BT line at the time but TT's.

Ah, wait a min! In your other thread in Aug 2018 you had an Address Check showing the 189 Meg as the Impacted Handback Threshold. That's where EE got it from together with the 203.9 - 330 Meg range.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.