by Coz21 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Lost connection

For the past few months we have been experiencing dropouts continuously throughout the day, which are becoming more and more frequent. The lights will go out on the router and we will lose wifi connection. This even happens when there is only one device (mobile phone) connected to wifi. I have tried switiching it off and on, using BT booster discs etc but nothing helps.

Do we need a new router? We still have a little black box with an 'Orange' label on it which we've had for years before Orange became EE.

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Lost connection

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

Are these complete BB drop-outs or just the WiFi. Do all the lights go out? Does the BB light go out or change colour?

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Coz21

As well as @XRaySpeX's brilliant advice, we have some steps to try on our How can I fix my Home Broadband connection help page.

Let us know how you're getting on.

Chris

Established Contributor

What do you mean by log in to get the stats? Log into what?

The broadband light either foes off or flashes, the data light goes off and the power light and wireless light stay on.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Login to the router. The instructions are to be found on the label on bottom of router.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

I've logged in and found the info. Do you want me to copy and paste it onto here? What info should I not be posting? Eg passwords etc?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, please copy & paste or post an image.

The whole page. There are no pwds on the page I asked for. You sure you got the right 1? Check my navigation route I gave you.

Highlighted
Established Contributor

DSL STATUSThis page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Fibre/Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable. STATUS ConfiguredCurrentLine Status--UPLink Type--Interleaved PathOperation ModeAutomaticG.992.5 (ADSL2+) DATA RATE INFORMATIONUpstream888 (Kbps)Downstream6652 (Kbps) DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATIONOperation DataUpstreamDownstreamNoise Margin15.3 (dB)10.7 (dB)Line Attenuation12.7 (dB)22.0 (dB) Indicator NameNear End IndicatorFar End IndicatorOutput Power12.1 (dBm)0.0 (dBm)Fast Path FEC Correction----Interleaved Path FEC Correction41039315831Fast Path CRC Error----Interleaved Path CRC Error034373Loss Of Signal Defect90Fast Path HEC Error STR----Interleaved Path HEC Error35514793Error Seconds289249 STATISTICSReceived Data4521558 (Kbits)Transmitted Data418352 (Kbits)

System uptime

12:53:55

Is this the correct info?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks. There's loads of errors on that line. You have a noisy line. How long have you had this problem? Was any work done on your line or in the neighbourhood about the time it started.

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.