cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link two routers

Spudd3rs
Investigator
Investigator

I have a smart hub and a bright hub 2. I want to link them together. Ee say it’s not possible. Is this true? 

24 REPLIES 24
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

For what reason do you want to link them? What do you hope to get out of it? It should be possible..

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
So I have a bar in my garden. My idea was to run an Ethernet cable from the main one in my house to the one in the bar. So I can have wired and wireless connections to various things in the bar.

Sent from my iPhone

Try mimicking To make a second Brightbox as a WAP on your LAN to the main Brightbox with your SH standing in for the main Brightbox.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Thanks I’ll try that tomorrow. Let you know how I get on

Sent from my iPhone
SoRo
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Connecting the two routers is possible but it would be useless, I can go all nerdy and talk about why it wouldn’t work but I’m going to say that it doesn’t up your speed or have a steady signal or will have internet issues as you’re collecting 2 sets of router data out of 1 signal to your internet provider, which does weakens your internet.

if you’re looking to get signal from one place to another, the issue would be the “black spots” the black spots means that there is no signal in the certain area, having 2 routers in a way will deal with that but again, the whole signals, weakens internet, bla bla bla.

what you’re looking for is an Ethernet cable to reach to the router to your desktop/pc or if you’re using it for the phone reason, you’ll need something called internet booster, which you can find one as either a plug or a little base you need to plug it in and connect that to your router and then the booster will shoot out signal and the black spot will then no longer show! 

Hope this helps! Having the booster internet will save you from using the cables... actually i recently purchased one for my back garden, so I plugged the booster in the kitchen and is able to reach me from the shed, it’s worth it in my eyes. 

@SoRo : I don't agree! It's no different & as reliable as buying a dedicated WAP. If you have a spare router, why not use it to extend your wireless range & save money?

SoRo
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

So long nerd talk short, you have a main router that sends out signals, that’s the router, that router connects to the internet provider, which gives your router WAP, IP and access to internet.

having 2 routers connecting to the same IP in your home can interfere the WiFi, and possibly the signals, think about having 2 routers sending out signals for devices and both of which trying to connect to the internet provider as well as your devices and the router that is already sending out signals.

i do get why you would think having 2 routers connect can save money, as you’re wanting a signal to connect to your devices, but that’s not what routers are for, the routers is the base for the connections, what you need is a product like internet booster to “boost” signals around house or even outside.

hope that makes sense!

@SoRo : You don't have 2 routers connecting to the same public IP in your home, if that's what you are thinking. It's the same principle as these Whole Home Mesh systems but with Ethernet capability as well.

SoRo
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Not what I meant, the 2 routers would be connected to main IP which is formed by your internet provider, your routers will have their own ips of course, but they will be connected to the main IP that is connected to the internet provider, 

which will mean having 2 routers can lose signals and can affect the WiFi as you’re having 2 routers sending out signals to connect to the devices as well as the main router, the signals surly will be weak and not strong as 1 router.

it won’t harm in trying out the 2 routers, but as I said, it’s the boosters you’re looking for, as you’re wanting signals to connect to the router and cover up black spots. 

You cant have routers sending signals when you’re looking for signals receiving, it’s impractical to have router connect to router connect to device, what you want is signal boosters to connect to the router, otherwise you’re connecting to a different router with a different ip then connecting to another router with the different ip, and that to me sounds like signal problems are about to happen as well as the bandwidth and Possibly the security surly will be weakened as you have 2 routers sending out signals.