Highlighted
by james30 Contributor
Contributor

Line IP Profile restricting speed

Been using fibre for 6 years, 76 mpbs connection has always given 72 mpbs. Now my max speed is 54. The router is connecting at 56.17 and according to EE has been in decline for a while now. Downloads are testing at 48.

Openreach visited, acknowledged speed from the cabinet was 80 and I'm only a short distance from the cabinet. His tester saikd there was 60 available at the socket. His attitude was, you're getting your minimum so we're not going to do anything about it.

Since Openreach don't want the hassle of finding the fault (there seem's to be 2 connections between myself and the cabinet) and EE customer service say that they are unable to reset an ip profile, does this mean my internet has to be 2/3 of what it was 6 years ago? Any suggestions or similar experiences?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by james30 Contributor
Contributor
Solution

Re: Line IP Profile restricting speed

Hooray! Success! Back to 79.99!

Third time was the charm and persistence paid off. The same engineer but this time he changed the connection (re-paired the cables) and instantly we have 79.99.

So it looks like it was a line fault all along. Diagnostics said repeatedly that there was no fault but evidently there was.

Router stats are 79.99/20.

Assuming the speed holds a big thank you to EE customer service and finally a thank you to Openreach!

23 REPLIES 23
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

4. What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by james30 Contributor
Contributor

Broadband availability.PNGSpeed test.pngDSL Status.PNG

by james30 Contributor
Contributor

by james30 Contributor
Contributor

Oh by way, thank you for your assistance today.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I think you are experiencing the effect of Fibre Crosstalk. As more lines get connected to your cab. they could interfere with each other & slow each other down.

You could complain to EE that your speed is below the Handback Threshold & probably the min. speed that EE gave you upon sign-up.

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by james30 Contributor
Contributor

Speed started to decline last year. Lost 5 mpbs. Then last month another 20 gone. Neighbours are getting 40 out of 38 with Sky and the same infrastructur. Seems the BT/EE Openreach product is very poor.

If fibre crosstalk is at fault then Openreach have sold my bandwidth rather than upgrade their infrastructure. Whatever the case, I'm just waiting for another provider to run a cable up the street and I suspect I'm not the only one. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's all the same BT OR product, whatever ISP you are on.

The only other provider who could run cables up your street would be Virgin. All other ISPs use whatever BT OR infrastructure that is these.

by james30 Contributor
Contributor

I had another long talk with EE yesterday and they agree that there was a single day drop of 16mbps in Feb 2018 and that has never been recovered.

We're going to have another visit from Openreach.

But as you point out, there is very little choice, it's Virgin, Openreach or a few fringe players who don't really operate outside of town centres. Hence I really want the fault finding and fixing or I'm going to be stuck at 50mpbs and down forever, irrespective of what or who I pay. 

I've had great internet for years and as soon as fibre to the premises is available, I'll be signing up. You cannot get enough bandwidth! But the "oh dear, how sad, never mind" attitude of Openreach is annoying. This is a a premium product and it's not unreasonable to expect service to match. Anyway, enough of my moaning let's see what Openreach visit 2 brings.

by
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @james30

Thank for for joining and posting in community 🙂

Please keep us up to date as to what happens with the visit.

Have a great day

Richard

🙂

by james30 Contributor
Contributor

Oh dear. Openreach part II hasn't been a success. After remaking connections, speed has increased by only 1.8mpbs. BT wholesale test is showing a line still downloading at less than handback speed and 10mpbs+ less than the VDSL B impacted range.

IP profile has now raised from 54.37 to 56.4 but download speeds through LAN are fixed at 52.19. Not good for a 76mpbs connection and EE checker is still quoting far more than this for me as a new customer.

So we're stuck. My bandwidtch has been reduced and it can't be fixed. Worse still, nobody has a clue why it happened. Either it simply vanished one day in February or it was distributed to new customers. 

Rubbish!

by james30 Contributor
Contributor

Wholesale test result.PNG

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@james30 wrote:

BT wholesale test is showing a line still downloading at less than handback speed

1 thing has nowt to do with 'tother. The Handback Threshold is in terms of the sync speed not speedtests.

Your line is not an Impacted 1 as "Bridge Taps" = N, so you should only be looking at the Clean range.

What are your full router stats now? I calculate your Down Sync Speed to be now 58.26 Meg.

by james30 Contributor
Contributor

I'm looking at the impacted range to give Openreach a chance. There's no point in looking at VDSL A because I am nowhere near!

Anyway, here are the latest router stats and I've lost 0.3mbps since it peaked post repair at 58.19, which is near enough what you said it would be.

Incidentally, the engineer (the same man as last time, but he didn't come to the door this time) didn't test the house socket post repair, but his best suggestion to go forward was a move to Virgin (I kid you not)

by james30 Contributor
Contributor

Router stats 12041535.PNG

by james30 Contributor
Contributor

Interesting that the upstream is nearly perfect. Clearly remaking connections has made a bit of difference. I wonder what I would have had now if my internet had stayed at it's pre 2018 levels. Would be nearly 75mpbs.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's generally the downstream that takes the hit from Fibre Crosstalk.

by james30 Contributor
Contributor

Would fibre cross-talk hit the connection in one day, or would it be a gradual decline? The last speed drop (16mpbs) was in one go and that followed the router dropping out. This is according to EE's records. The speed never came back.

I was on holiday at the time and couldn't have affected what happened. Hence, no possible customer factor.

My immediate neighbours on Infinity 2 have also noted a speed drop and their speed is fixing at 60mpbs with lower download speeds than I'm getting (circa 48mpbs). But as I noted before new connections on the street are blazing fast. 

Whatever the case there doesn't seem to be a solution. I have looked at other forums on this matter and some BT customer's claim to have managed to get the profile reset and returned to previous speeds but usually after a very thorough site visit by Openreach.

Only other possibility is that the claim of 80mpbs at the cabinet is not actually correct and this is basically traffic shaping. Most of the neighbours don't have a clue about speeds or even what package they're on. Unless you point out a drop, they would be oblivious. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@james30 wrote:

Only other possibility is that the claim of 80mpbs at the cabinet is not actually correct

Well, you were getting 76 Meg before this happened, so it's pretty close.

I don't know what a "speed at cab" really means. Both EE Fibre Plus & BT Infinity 2 provide FTTC at a max. speed from the cab. of 80 Meg, which falls off the further you get from the cab.

by james30 Contributor
Contributor

I understand that.

I do not expect 80/20. It's sold as 76 and it's been giving me 73 for years. That was the speed that the engineer told me when he installed it way back when and that's how it's behaved until recently. Downloads reflect this speed:

Steam previously 9.1mb/s, now 6.4mb/s.

Anybody who thinks they will get the headline speed out of their connection is going to be disappointed. I do not expect perfection.

But if the connection to the cabinet is now without fault and newly made (remember we have found 1.5mbps today) then that leaves:

1. Fibre cross talk which means the infrastructure is at fault. It does seem a bit odd trying to marry fibre with 19th century copper technology. But whatever, the wiring is now not performing as before. 

2. The service to the cabinet is being reduced to protect the lack of bandwidth. Indeed this cabinet is so full that the connections were described as just "rammed together". If there's just too much demand on the cabinet's bandwidth then Openreach have to reduce existing service to sell more connections. 

I am now officially living in "internet poverty" the first decline in my standard of online activity since the 1980s. Compuserve dial-up here I come...

A spectacular and woeful decline much like BT's share price. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.