by GRAZUNCLE1 Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Latency is now (randomly) ridiculous

I have had EE for the past 10 months.. I have seen no real difference in perfomance with EE over previous ISPs for the last 12 years. Although the router coverage on  Wifi does seem better.. newer stuff I imagine?

However for the past three weeks  the response on webpages/email is dog slow. but very variable.

I contacted EE and did their BT wholsale test.. They sent me a new router.. Initially better but after a few hours back to randomly 'ok' to wait, wait, wait.

Watching the circle going round 'anticlockwise' on Webpage tabs is frustrating.it took 5 seconds to load this form page.  I suspect latency is the problem as 'mostly' downloads are 8-12 mbs and uploads, .9- 1.2 mbs.  Why the latency is so variable I have no idea...

I have HomePlugs for wired ethernet to two pcs. I even diconnected all of the homeplugs and just tried Wifi.. but no real change.  

Anyone else have similar or better still.. a solution?

29 REPLIES 29
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Latency is now (randomly) ridiculous

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to reply...

I read your response beforte going to work and had a chance jsut to try something.. I changed the Ethernet cable and everything went really fast... Came home and back to really slow to react on clicking a link etc..

this is for direct from the Router to Pc (i7 CPU) 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1533577755210355855

This is Wifi and all therent cables removed

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1533577755210355855

I'll sort out the Router advanced setting in a bit.

Exchange is https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/CMERD

Valued Contributor

how do you post the DSL status without getting  errors on page when posting it..

if it were plain text it mght be easier?

system uptime?

System Uptime is: 20:40:25
Current Time/Date is: 19:39:07 06 Aug
by Grand Master
Grand Master

I prefer a straightforward copy & paste but if that is not working for you you can post an screen image by clicking on the Photos/Camera button.

Those 2 speedtest results were of the same 1.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

DSL Status.JPG

a snip of the screen just now 🙂

Valued Contributor

particularly slow now.. late night;(

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1533594075822319755

thought i'd test it late.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Speedtest is OK; commensurate with your sync speed but you do have a lotta FEC Corrections, indicative of a fault on line. These will be slowing things down by requiring retransmissions.

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Valued Contributor

The system did run faster and seemed 'instant' again
Speedtest graphic1.JPG

System Uptime is: 00:05:39
Current Time/Date is: 09:22:29 07 Aug

DSL Status 2.JPG
Valued Contributor

Speedtest graphic2.JPG

this is 5 minutes later.. slow again.. latency 238ms.. The upload on stage 4 gave up towards the end.

I have only the roter plugged into the master socket with the lower faceplate removed and plugged directly into it as you suggested earlier in my post.

HELP!!

Thanks

Valued Contributor

just in case thgis might be useful.. DSL status 2 mins ago..

DSL Status 3.JPG

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Much better connection speeds.

Now what about your internal wiring & extensions? You really need to do the QLT.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for replying,,

its fluctuating again..

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1533671606231352755. takingh gaes to reply to you..

I am still unconnected with anything else.. No extensions etc .even the phone is disconnected. (inconvenient but the broadband is more important. 😞

I don't know what QLT is

Is that something in the router?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Were there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket when you removed it? Are there any other phone sockets on the property even if they have no phones plugged in them?

These Qs are important. We can already see the symptoms of your issue. What we need to do now is identify the cause.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Valued Contributor

Thanks again.

Yes there is a connction on the back of the faceplate... at present it is still hanging in the air as I don't want any disturbance from anything.

QLT  Aaah Thanks

I don't think I have a corded phone.. I'll look though. I do have a digital cordless.

I'm paying EE for my phoneline rental.. do I ask them?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@GRAZUNCLE1 wrote:

Yes there is a connection on the back of the faceplate... at present it is still hanging in the air as I don't want any disturbance from anything.

You mean it goes nowhere? So, there are no other sockets in the house? Yes or No?

Ask EE for what? Buy yourself a cheap corded handset. They are invaluable for helping with BB issues.

Valued Contributor

my comment on asking EE was in response to your suggestion:

'report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband).' I don't expect them to supply me a handset! although i will follow 'that' suggestion

I ask because i'm not sure as BT is the physical ine provider but i pay EE.. so i don't know who to report QLT too.. (if there is a problem with it.)

regarding extensions; yes i do have a single extension but it is disconnected when i pull out the faceplate. it is wired (IPC type) to the back of the faceplate.

That is why it is 'in the air' nothing is connected to the master socket at all presently.

Hope this helps. And thanks for your continued assistance

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You haven't yet id'ed a voice fault to report to EE. Hence the need of doing the QLT.

Your landline provider is EE. You have no contract with BT.

Disconnect the unused extension from the back of the master faceplate.

Valued Contributor

I just ordered a corded phone... Pick up this morning

Valued Contributor

Update: Where to start?

Got a corded phone.. plugged it into the socket behind the faceplate. dialed the number and listened. No real ssignificant sound. Plugged faceplate back in and tried again.. same. Tried the phone in the extension.. noisy (hissing and crackling) before i started dialing.. tried the number and the same. As you suggested I pulled of the wires into the rear of the faceplate and put it back in.

Hooked up the router and Homeplugged it.. some random results ranging from well over 14mbs (never had that before) 1.2 Mbs upload (averagely good) latency 12ms. Then it dropped after 5mins to slow again. Unplugged everything on Homeplug and tried direct ethernet cable again. Fast again for a time..

No I have this again just now:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1533744060451300155

stage 2 upload peaked at around 10mbs and then crawled down to 0.6

Latency back to 223ms and upload .6mbs..

This above is direct ethernet and just the phone plugged in the faceplate (extension physically disconnected now).. I'll try anorther filter and unplug the phone. 

Other ideas please.? I'm getting wary of any speed ups now ; just expecting it to fall out of the sky 😞

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.