by RGSJY Investigator
Investigator

Landline out of order and has been for days

Our EE landline has been out or order for several says.  There is a hissing sound through the phone and no dial tone.  We have found out that several people have phoned the

number,  they heard a ringing tone and the answermachine kicked in so they have all left 

messages.  However, our landline phone does not ring nor are we aware of any answermachine messages so we have no idea if anybody has tried to contact us..... very frustrating!  The EE website has a message stating it is aware of a problem in our area and engineers are out working on it - but there's no actual sign of that and we can't find out from EE what the problem is or how long we will be without our landline (which we do use every day!).  It is extremely frustrating. Can anybody advise what we can to to get the problem sorted now?

15 REPLIES 15
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: Landline out of order and has been for days

Hello @RGSJY sorry to hear you are having problems with your landlne. Have you reported this as a voice fault to customer service? If so what did they say?

You can contact them on 150 from an EE mobile or landline or 0800 956 6000 from any other using the options for Home, BB and EETV queries. 🙂

by RGSJY Investigator
Investigator

Thank you for your message. No, I haven’t been in touch with Customer Service as I assumed that as it’s already noted as a fault on the EE website, it was in hand. Thanks, though, for providing Customer Service contact number - I’ll get in touch with them now.

by RGSJY Investigator
Investigator

Thank you for your message. No, I haven't been in touch with Customer Service as I assumed that as it's already noted as a fault on website, it was in hand. Thanks, though, for providing Customer Service contact number I'll get in touch with them now.
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @RGSJY let me know how you get on or what they say hopefully they can provide you with more detailed information on the fault mentioned. 🙂

by RGSJY Investigator
Investigator

I have tried phoning the 0800 number from my pay as you go mobile (which is not on the EE network so I believe I've been charged for the call.  The automated system wants my mobile number before I can proceed but as mine isn't an EE mobile it isn't recognised!  So, I tried the online chat to custome service but that's not available for landline issues!!! So, Im getting nowhere.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @RGSJY no network should be charging you for 0800 calls they are free from any mobile or landline by law.

Sorry you were unable to get through - try 0800 079 8586 option 3. You do not need to enter a mobile number for BB options. 🙂

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for helping @Profile closed

Let us know how you get on @RGSJY 🙂

Thanks, Leanne.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@RGSJY: Where on EE website do you see that there is a problem in your area? I don't believe EE announce status of landlines in any area cuz they rarely go down by area but individually.

Have you tried plugging the phone in the hidden test socket?

You probably have a "one-leg broken" fault (technically "HR Dis"). A landline consists of 2 wires, both of which are need for voice, but only any 1 for BB. Usually when this happens the BB runs slower than usual.

To confirm this Please post your full router stats. For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ (A)DSL Status. Also post 'Time Connected:' from initial Status page. Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

It is likely that the break occurs between you & the exchange, but it needs EE to call out BT Openreach to fix it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by RGSJY Investigator
Investigator

Thank you Tom 222.  I rang the other 0800 number that you suggested and after a very lengthy wait I was able to talk to a customer service agent.  She confirmed there's a fault on our landline and said she would call out the engineers and it would take (another) three to four days to be fixed!  After pointing out that a message on the EE webiste says engineers are already working on the problem so another few days didn't seem fair, she offered to re-route any incoming calls on our landline, to my mobile.  She has diarised to ring me back next week to make sure all is well and may be able to suggest some compensation.  So, at least Customer Service has been able to ease my frustration at not having the landline available for another few days!  Thanks again for your help.

by RGSJY Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for your advice.  You are probably correct about one of the wires that's broken as our broadband is still working but I did notice, yesterday in particular, that it was slower than usual and sometimes broke up.  I found notice of the fault on the EE website by clicking on 'Coverage Checker' then 'Network Status Checker', then typed in my postcode.  It immediately came up with a message to say there is a known fault and the engineers are working on fixing it (although clearly they haven't been but hopefully they will before too long!).  If the line isn't working again by the time EE said it should be, I will follow your instructions.  Thanks for your help.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The 'Coverage Checker' only gives you outages on the mobile network.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

Hi @RGSJY  and welcome to the community.

The network status checker is only for issues on our mobile network, glad customer services have arranged an engineer for you.

Many thanks,

Lee

by RGSJY Investigator
Investigator

I thought I would let the Community know that our landline fault has still not been fixed; we have had no landline since Monday and with the Bank Holiday coming up I suspect EE will not be attending to the problem for another few days.  Thanks to Tom222 I have successfully lodged the fault and even yesterday I received an automated email to say it's taking the engineers longer to fix than first thought - we are reading that to mean they have clearly not even start to attend to it yet  - frustrating as, unlike many members of the Public, we rely on landline more than mobile (we only have PAYG).  EE has diverted incoming calls from landline to mobile (for which we are thankful)  but as we are on PAYG we are reluctant to make calls out from the mobile, as they are charged by the minute.  How patient do we have to be, I wonder???  

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @RGSJY sorry to hear it has still not yet been resolved. Do you have a PAYG pack on your SIM or do you pay standard rates?

Full list of packs available and how to purchase them can be found using this link:

http://ee.co.uk/help/my-account/pay-as-you-go/pay-as-you-go-packs-how-they-work

It may be one of the weekly or 30 day packs may work out cheaper while you are relying on it. Text the code STOP PACK to 150 before the day it is due to renew if you want to return to standard rates when the fault has been fixed.

Hopefully you are not waiting much longer now. 🙂

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @RGSJY

Thank you for your update and your continued patience.

I can see you are being given some brilliant help as standard from @Profile closed

I also second what he has said and hope that this is fixed as soon as possible for you.

Have a great weekend.

Richard

🙂

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.