by jmdrizen

Keeping my Virgin Media home telephone number (and speed q)

Can anyone help...? I've been with on and off with Virgin Media since the days of Telewest changing between them and Sky, BT and now EE... I've moved house and through it all have managed to keep my home telephone number...

I ordered EE Broadband/Telephone making it clear I needed to keep the home telephone number for a number of reasons. I was assured it won't be a problem, that I need to cancel my Virgin Media services but that I must tell them to keep the telephone 'open' so that the number can be carried over... This was done and I called EE back to confirm at which point they told me that it wasn't done properly their end and they needed to cancel the order and start again... They did this, checking and stated that they number was confirmed in a state that it could be carried over and that I would be assigned a temporary number, to call them after connection and it will be carried over...

BT Open Reach engineer came round today and connected the service and set up the new line for EE and shortly after I called EE and an operator advised that it doesn't appear that the telephone number can be carried over ?! Has anyone experienced this issue ?? I have been told they're going to look in to it and will call me back tomorrow after 1pm, but would be good to know if anyone's experienced this as I can't understand why I can't keep this number??

Also, EE advised that I was only able to have the slower broadband but the BT engineer confirmed that the run up to the exchange from this property supports 80/20 as well as 40/10... Anyone know where I would stand about trying to get the faster connection too?

Cheers!

3 REPLIES 3
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Keeping my Virgin Media home telephone number (and speed q)

Hi there @jmdrizen

Thanks for coming to the community.

When the team call you tomorrow let them know about the speed and they will see what they can do to help with this.

Can you let me know how you get on after the call?

Speak soon 🙂

Leanne.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

OFCOM rules require providers to allow users to freely take their landline nos with them when they change providers. If you are hindered in doing this you may raise a complaint with OFCOM.

New protections to stamp out landline switching frustrations :

You will have more power over your landline provider if it tries to stop you taking your phone number when you switch, thanks to a new process in effect from today.

People and businesses have the right to keep their telephone numbers, regardless of which phone company they are with.

Under Ofcom rules, phone companies must allow customers to take their telephone number with them to a new provider when they switch. This is known as ‘number porting’.

However, there have been times when providers made it difficult for customers – particularly small businesses – to keep their phone numbers when switching.

We have previously fined firms that have blocked customers from taking their numbers to a new provider, and forced them to pay compensation. Last year we told the telecoms industry to develop a process to override attempts to prevent customers from taking their number with them.

That new process is now in place.

How the process works

From today, if your request to port your number is being frustrated, your old provider will be put on notice and have up to five days to resolve any issues. If this doesn’t happen, you can now trigger a process that will enable your new provider to override this obstacle.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

On the flavour of BB you may have:

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions