by Danabi2015 Investigator
Investigator

Just joined - Slower than my old connection

I've just joined EE from TalkTalk - This is the first time I've switched providers on the Openreach network as I was on cable for over two decades until I moved home to a non-cabled area (although very annoyingly I had a leaflet put through the door yesterday saying they are cabling my street this month!)

This morning I was getting 70Mb/18Mb from my TalkTalk connection (Would have been 74Mb but Mrs was streaming on YouTube). The router sync rate was 80000/20000 with about 9dB attenuation and a noise margin of 3dB using a Netgear D6400.

EE have now took over our connection and the speed has somewhat dropped to say the least (51Mb/18Mb) I know they always say leave it 10 days to stabilise but I always thought that was only ADSL and that fibre didn't need any stabilisation? My current router stats are as follows:

Data rate:20.00 Mbps / 57.77 Mbps
Maximum data rate:20.12 Mbps / 66.59 Mbps
Noise margin (up/down):6.0 / 5.9
Line attenuation (up/down):20.3 / 15.3
Signal attenuation (up/down):20.2 / 15.3

Anyone know of any tips for making it as fast as my old TalkTalk connection? EE said my minimum speed would be 41Mb but the BT Checker states the hand back threshold is 56Mb
11 REPLIES 11
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Just joined - Slower than my old connection

Good Afternoon @Danabi2015

Thanks for coming to the community. 

When did EE take over your connection?

Have you been able to report this to our technical care team?

Speak soon, 

Katie 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

EE took over my connection yesterday

It won't let me post any images, anything I upload shows in the post but when I press post it brings up a HTML error and they all vanish. BT says the handback threshold is 56Mb, a high of 80Mb (which my router synced at with TalkTalk) and a low of 61Mb

by
EE Community Support Team

What if you save the images and attach them, @Danabi2015?

Chris

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You should be able to upload images by using the Camera icon above your post. Alternatively try just copying & pasting the text of the image.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Already tried multiple times, the images upload and show in my saved photos. I add them to the post and they show, as soon as I click on post it brings up a message saying there is invalid HTML. All the photos then just change into giant X's - I've tried uploading them and providing the URL's too but both yield the same result

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Are you using the Upload / Choose Files option of "Insert Photos" to upload images from your PC?

I've posted your images using that:

adsl.png

Is the above result obtained using your landline phone no?

TTST.png

EE.png

Investigator

Yeah, but it loads into the post fine but when I click on "Post" it brings up a box saying their is a HTML error. I'm assuming the site supports PNG as they upload fine and it looks like you were able to access them.

No, at the time I posted that image it wasn't able to recognise my number but it has now. I have copied the text from DSL checker and also attached a screenshot to see if it works so if the photo doesn't display the details will still be there.

The line has resynced in the night and my router is now showing the following:

Data rate:20.00 Mbps / 68.68 Mbps
Maximum data rate:20.25 Mbps / 68.43 Mbps
Noise margin (up/down):6.1 / 5.8
Line attenuation (up/down):20.2 / 15.3
Signal attenuation (up/down):20.2 / 15.3

Whilst it is faster than it was initially, its still slower than what I used to get from the UK's worst voted ISP! My TalkTalk connection was always 70Mb+ and it never went down once in the entire 2 1/2 years I was with them (I run a server and the uptime was 100%) so I know the line is 100% stable at 80000/20000.

Also, following the cable which runs overhead via a telegraph pole, I'm only just over 100 meters from the cab

I have attached the photo below:

VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 59.6 20 19 54.5 Available Available --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 79.6 55.7 20 18.3 49 Available Available --

Number.png

P.S. Pressed post and got this error and the photo has turned into a white box again

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks. I have approved your image. So you should see it soon but when I post it I don't get any HTML errors: Number.png

Strange that you do!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Your sync speed is well within expected range. I can't see that EE will want to do anything.

You may be experiencing "Crosstalk" at the cab as more users join it.

Investigator

OK, so I've been in touch with EE who have told me that when changing providers the DSLAM resets. Apparently it can take about a week for it to test the line to see if it can handle higher speeds. Does that sound about right?

I do vaguely remember TalkTalk started off being about 50Mb but after about 2 weeks I was getting the full 80Mb. Like I say, I never had VDSL or ADSL before I had TalkTalk so I didn't know what was normal and what wasn't. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.