Highlighted
by
Explorer

Is it possible to change 1 single device to connect using 5ghz instead of 2.4ghz

Hi Support,

Is it possible to change 1 single device to connect using 5ghz instead of 2.4ghz?

I know how to change to disable 2.4ghz for the entire Hub using the below link/, but I want to just change 1 device (Oculus quest) so it always connects at 5ghz . 

http://192.168.1.254/wifi.htm

select 'separate bands'

Untick 2.4ghz wifi

I cannot see a way to do this please help

Also, are there any disadvantages to selecting 5ghz only on the hub as I have explained above? like for example, decreased wifi range?

Kind regards

Delcien

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Is it possible to change 1 single device to connect using 5ghz instead of 2.

1. Yes, you should separate the bands so that the SSIDs have different names but not disable either of the 2.4 or 5 GHz SSIDs.

The 5GHz SSID will appear starting with "5GHz-" & the 2.4 GHz SSID not starting with "5GHz-" in the networks list of the Oculus Quest. The 1st time the Oculus Quest tries to connect you will be asked to choose which SSID to connect to. Choose only the 5GHz SSID starting with "5GHz-" & supply its pwd. Thereafter it will auto connect to the 5GHz SSID as long as it's in range.

2. The 5GHz band has shorter range than the 2.4GHz band.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
by
Explorer

Re: How do I switch from 2.4ghz to 5ghz frequency on my smart hub router

Hi Support

I have a couple of questions on this topic

1. Is it possible to change a specific device to use 5ghz instead of 2.4ghz ? rather than changed the enter hub to be either /or with 2.4ghz/5ghz as you have explained?

2.Are there any disadvantages to selecting 5ghz only on the hub as u have explained? like for example, decreased wifi range?

Thanks

Delcien

Highlighted
by Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Re: Is it possible to change 1 single device to connect using 5ghz instead of 2.

5GHz has lower range, but higher speed.

2.4GHz has higher range, but lower speed.

You can have the bands joint - and the device, if capable, will connect to the faster band under the SSID automatically.

Or, you can separate the bands while keeping them enabled (will use different network names, e.g: <hubname>-2.4G and <hubname>-5G)

It's generally best to keep 2.4GHz enabled as a lot of devices, mostly older ones do not support 5GHz, and Apple devices can sometimes be a bit funny with 5GHz. 

You cannot set a single device to use 5GHz only through the hub's settings.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

1. Yes, you should separate the bands so that the SSIDs have different names but not disable either of the 2.4 or 5 GHz SSIDs.

The 5GHz SSID will appear starting with "5GHz-" & the 2.4 GHz SSID not starting with "5GHz-" in the networks list of the Oculus Quest. The 1st time the Oculus Quest tries to connect you will be asked to choose which SSID to connect to. Choose only the 5GHz SSID starting with "5GHz-" & supply its pwd. Thereafter it will auto connect to the 5GHz SSID as long as it's in range.

2. The 5GHz band has shorter range than the 2.4GHz band.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions