by TommyAwesome Investigator
Investigator

Internet Speed dies when uploading.

I've been with EE broadband for a couple of months now. When I'm not uploading, everything is fine and I'm getting a quicker download speed than I did with BT.

However, when I start uploading to Onedrive, it kills the download speed for everyone else. The upload speed is rubbish as well, but I could live with that if the download speed wasn't affected.

My average download speed is around 7mb... but when I start uploading, (upload speed rarely goes about 500kbps), my download speed is less than 0.5mbps.

WHY IS THIS! It never happened with BT!

I've tried limiting the upload to 50kbps via the router, but it doesn't make a difference.

If this continues, I'll be looking for ways of cancelling my EE contract as ths really isn't good enough.

20 REPLIES 20
by
EE Community Team

Re: Internet Speed dies when uploading.

Hi @TommyAwesome,

Welcome to the community 🙂

I would suggest speaking to our technical team about your speeds.

They will be able to view your account and are in the best position to be able to resolve this for you.

Alex 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

1 / DSL STATUS (with upload paused)
This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Fibre/Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.
STATUS  Configured CurrentLine StatusLink TypeOperation Mode
--UP
--Interleaved Path
AutomaticG.992.5 (ADSL2+)
DATA RATE INFORMATIONUpstreamDownstream
770 (Kbps)
9405 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATIONOperation Data Upstream DownstreamNoise MarginLine Attenuation
5.6 (dB)4.8 (dB)
19.9 (dB)42.0 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End IndicatorOutput PowerFast Path FEC CorrectionInterleaved Path FEC CorrectionFast Path CRC ErrorInterleaved Path CRC ErrorLoss Of Signal DefectFast Path HEC Error STRInterleaved Path HEC ErrorError Seconds
12.2 (dBm)20.6 (dBm)
----
----
----
STATISTICSReceived DataTransmitted Data
30733609 (Kbits)

30863294 (Kbits)

DSL STATUS (With Upload running)

I get an "ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT"

2 /

7.7 download, 0.5 upload (my upload task is paused.)

When I start the upload, the speed test page becomes unresponsive.

3 / 

My exchange is Kingston St Mary, Somerset, (WWKSTM).

This never happened when I was with BT... all internet access shouldn't stop when I'm uploading!!! I'd accept a little slowness, but i may as well not have internet now!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

System Uptime please.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

System Uptime is: 107:48:42

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @TommyAwesome 

Have you spoken to our Broadband Tech team to get your speeds looked into?

They will be able to help you get this looked into further.

Leanne.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Investigator

I don't think I have a test plug... I have a filter built into my BT socket and the router is plugged direcntly into that.

Re. the quiet test... I ran that and all was quiet.

When I'm uploading, I can't even get on to the router to get the details... I've rebooted the router in the past and it's made no difference.

I will try speaking to the technical support when I get a chance before they close... but I'm willing to try things as well.

I have a friend in the village I live in (so same exchange) and he has the same issue... 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If you have a filtered BT master socket you can remove the faceplate & get to the test socket. Maybe like Linebox NTE5C User instructions - Openreach

Investigator

OK, I'll give it a go later when I don't need internet access.

Investigator

Although... When I was with BT... it didn't do this... I will still try the test line though.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Where you with BT at the same premises or somewhere else that didn't have such a narrow Up bandwidth?

Investigator

Same place. Haven't moved. Changed to EE as they were cheaper.

I get quicker download and upload speeds with EE, just not at the same time.

As a friend in the village has the same issue, I'm wondering if it's a router issue?

I only get 7-8mb downloand on a good day. But turn on upload and that disapears and I can't even get to a google page on ANY device. turn uploads off, and it all comes back, almost instantly.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

On the Basic BB Settings page what is the Protocol & MTU?

Highlighted
Investigator

Protocol = PPPOA

MTU = 1492

I don't know what either of those mean...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Try changing MTU to 1500. It's a valid value for PPPoA. I don't expect it to have much effect but you never know.

Investigator

Tried that... didn't make a difference, (thanks anyway).

It's almost like my DNS stops working.... as it says it cannot resolve the web address.

Could that be something?

Saying that, even when I try to browse to the router using the IP address, it still doesn't work... so that may rule out DNS?

Investigator

When browsing - this message shows up:

This site can’t be reached www.google.co.uk unexpectedly closed the connection.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's worth a try to get round this issue by switching the DNS in the router away from EE's ones to Manual with 1 of these public DNS:

OpenDNS   :	208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220
Google DNS:	8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 
Cloudflare DNS 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1 Norton DNS: 198.153.192.40 & 198.153.194.40 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.