by MakeDanSure Investigator
Investigator

Intermittent broadband connection

I have been suffering with an intermittent connection with my broadband since February. Several times a day and at completely random times the Internet light on my Bright Box 1 (R) will turn red, before flashing amber and eventually back to green again. It is common for it to do this several times in succession.

EE have sent out Openreach engineers who have been unable to find any fault on the line. Indeed when it works it works perfectly with no speed issues. They have changed the faceplate on the master socket and EE have sent out a replacement router but neither has made a difference.

The date the problem began roughly corresponds with the installation of a Smart Meter by our previous energy supplier. I contacted them about it and they said:

"Your smart meter uses the GPRS mobile signal to communicate with our systems. This should not affect your Wi-Fi signal at all.

To communicate with each other, the gas meter and electricity meter use a system similar to Bluetooth known as Zigbee. This operates at a frequency of 2.4GHz, also used by some Wi-Fi routers. Use of similar channel frequencies by both smart and Wi-Fi systems is normally trouble free but interference could be experienced on rare occasions. The solution in this instance is to change the Wi-Fi channel, which is configurable at the router."

The wifi channel has been changed, and I also raised this with an Openreach engineer and EE tech support but neither of them were convinced this could be the source of the problem. We've also recently switched supplier and our meter has reverted to a "dumb" meter and yet the problem persists.

Beyond that we haven't changed anything in our home that could have caused it and to our knowledge neither have our meoghbours or BT.

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Intermittent broadband connection

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

Do you see "PPP: CHAP authentication failed" msgs in the system Log?

If you would like help with your speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the steps and provide the data as requested in the Need Help with Your Home Broadband Speed or Connection? sticky. This will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The wifi channel may have changed but the 2.4MHz frequency is still the same as the Smart meter... I doubt channel swapping would make a difference, and anyhow, the wifi won't cause the internet to drop out at the router and flash lights.

However the best test is to switch off WiFi and use the ethernet cable from Router to PC- if the problem persists then that rules out WiFi interference.

So the next test would be to see if there are old telephone extensions around the house.. even ones long ago redundant. They may still be in circuit connected at the back of your master socket. Replacing the faceplate doesn't cure that.  You must remove the faceplate and check the wiring at the back... the socket must only have one set cable coming into the socket back.   Old wiring will act as an antenna and pick up interference from all sorts of gizmos... maybe smart meters.

by
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @MakeDanSure

Thank you for joining us in community 🙂

I can see you have been asked some questions from @XRaySpeX and some support and suggestions from @Paulosb

When you get a second, if you can come back to the guys and they may be able to help you further.

Have a great day.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

Investigator

My broadband test results are here.

My exchange is here.

DSL Status is here.

System log is here.

by

Great @MakeDanSure

Thanks for posting these for @XRaySpeX

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Your BB connection is fine but has only been running for an hour. Would you let it run for a coupla days & then repost full router stats & Uptime?

Was that speedtest wired or wireless? It's a bit slow. Can you now do a speedtest the other way?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Wired speed test here

Wireless speed test here

DSL Status here

Uptime here

I find that I have to reset the router every couple of days as the internet light becomes solid green, but doesn't work. The only way to fix it is to turn it off and on again.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Eh? There's something wrong those router stats. They are incomplete.

Where's the "Loss of Signal Defect" & the 2 lines either side of it?

Investigator

Oops, copy and paste failure. They are here

by

Hi @MakeDanSure

I am re-tagging @XRaySpeX in this one to see if any additional support can be given with the information you have provided.

Thanks  

Richard

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.