by rogera1 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

In data usage what type of usage does "peer to peer usage" refer to?

Looking at my data usage stats, I see I have quite a high "peer to peer" usage recorded. What type of usage does "peer to peer" refer to?  Thanks. 

11 REPLIES 11
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: In data usage what type of usage does "peer to peer usage" refer to?

Hi @rogera1

Peer to peer (P2P) is a network connection from one computer/internet device to another.

In a P2P network, the "peers" are devices which are connected to each other over the Internet to share resources and help computers and devices work collaboratively, to deliver a specific service or perform a particular task.

Examples of everyday activities that use P2P network connections: Music sharing applications, online gaming, peercasting.

Chris

Established Contributor

Re: In data usage what type of usage does "peer to peer usage" refer t

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for your reply.

I cannot link this usage (as per your definition) to anything that I do online which is why I'm looking into this. The only thing it could be is my use of Facebook Messenger for Video calls - would this come under P2P data usage?

Thanks, Roger.

by
EE Community Support Team

Some video calling/sharing services use P2P networks, @rogera1.

May be worth having a chat with our technical support team. They may be able to help narrow down your usage specifically.

Chris

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@rogera1 wrote:

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for your reply.

I cannot link this usage (as per your definition) to anything that I do online which is why I'm looking into this. The only thing it could be is my use of Facebook Messenger for Video calls - would this come under P2P data usage?

Thanks, Roger.

Hi @rogera1

Yes it could, it also could be Windows updates, malware, someone else using P2P services to download, IPTV, 

EE won't be able to tell you exactly. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

It won't be Windows updates. I have reams of Windows updates but never have P2P activity.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@XRaySpeX

Windows Settings - Update & Security - Advanced Options - Delivery Optimisation 

p2p.jpg

P2P, it all depends on your settings and just because your don't see it doesn't necessarily mean its not logged on other peoples bills. 

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

Established Contributor

Thanks Chris, So I think this is what it is unless I've got some malware linking to my computer running incognito. My Windows Defender Security Centre can't find anything so fingers crossed there's nothing there?

Established Contributor

Hi Northerner,

Thanks for this. Have checked and I am set OFF to allow downloads from other pc's so it's not this one. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Northerner wrote:

Capture.JPG

That might be P2P but only between PCs on your own LAN. The whole point of it is not to download data over the BB, esp. when it might be metered.

It is not P2P over the EE BB network & therefore won't appear in any EE usage reports (not bills BTW).

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@XRaySpeX wrote:

@Northerner wrote:

Capture.JPG

That might be P2P but only between PCs on your own LAN. The whole point of it is not to download data over the BB, esp. when it might be metered.

It is not P2P over the EE BB network & therefore won't appear in any EE usage reports (not bills BTW).

@XRaySpeX 

The point I'm making in my post is the option is there if you look at my image " PCs on my local network, and PCs on the internet" this is P2P updates.

My setting in the image are my works network settings. If the OP had the settings I mentioned above, then it would be P2P updates. 

This is the Microsoft web page guide on the topic which confirms my point. 

Windows Update Delivery Optimization works by letting you get Windows updates and Microsoft Store apps from sources in addition to Microsoft, like other PCs on your local network, or PCs on the Internet that are downloading the same files. Delivery Optimization also sends updates and apps from your PC to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the Internet, based on your settings. Sharing this data between PCs helps reduce the Internet bandwidth that’s needed to keep more than one device up to date or can make downloads more successful if you have a limited or unreliable Internet connection.

I have no idea what's reported on EE bills as I'm on Sky.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Not a mention by MS that this is using P2P. That's pure supposition & anyway OP is not making use of this feature. This is turning into a brick wall.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.