by paulhs Contributor
Contributor

IP profile changed?

Hi

I recently had some building work done, during which the power to my home was turned off and on a lot. Now the work has finished my fibre broadband has slowed from a consistent 76Mb to around 55Mb, which I assumed might have been due to my line appearing unstable during the work and my profile being automatically lowered due to this (?). I've run a wired test and a DSL checker and attach results of these tests, along with the advanced page from the router login. It appears as though the speed is consistent with my IP profile being lower than it used to be. Will constantly restarting the router give the impression of an unstable line and prevent any increase in my IP profile, or is the IP profile set manually and should I request that this be done?

If anyone can offer any insight or advice, I'd be really grateful. Many thanks in advance.BT speedtest 10-11-19.PNGBT speed test (wired)BT DSL checker.pngBT DSL checkerBrightbox DSL status.pngBrightbox DSL statusDSL status.pngBrightbox 2 advanced status

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: IP profile changed?

Yes, thanks, those are the important images I required :).

It is not your IP Profile that is manipulated directly by the DLM system. The IP Profile always follows your sync speed, not the other way round. For Fibre, IP Profile = 96.8% x Sync Speed & yours is right on the nose (96.8% x 55 =53.24).

The BTw Performance Test is really only useful for confirming the IP Profile. All other figures are often highly suspect. In particular it reports your Download speed as 59.6 Meg. This is impossible as your throughput can never exceed your IP Profile & is usually a few % below that.

For a more realistic speedtest please use http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html over Ethernet. Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

Restarting the router unnecessarily is a bad thing. Never restart the router unless you notice something sticking or untoward in the performance of the work you are doing. Nearly everything you've been told by EE is utter bosh altho' the 14 days (or nearer 10) might be realistic in your case of constant power downs. How long is it since the building work finished & these slow speeds started?

The DLM system has put you on a banded 55 Meg profile in response to the frequent discons on your line, altho' you now have no significant errors. You need to give the DLM time to relent & remove any banding. If your sync speed at the test socket remains stuck at the same speed for 10 days you should ask EE to investigate the underlying fault. If a fault is found and fixed then the OR engineer may request a DLM reset. However should significant errors persist the DLM will reapply banding.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
22 REPLIES 22
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to the EE Home Broadband forum.

I can't see your images yet until they are moderated bur am assuming they are what I usually ask for.

To check your IP Profile, run the BT Wholesale Performance Test (ignoring all the red instructions) and on the initial results page click Further diagnostics at the bottom. The IP Profile is given in the text box. Please post the text parts of that page.

Constantly restarting the router will play havoc with your line & will look to the DLM like an unstable line.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by paulhs Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for such a quick reply XRaySpeX

I think all the images I posted will be what you would have asked for. 

The BT Wholesale performance test results say:

Download speed achieved was 59.6Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40Mbps-53.23 Mbps

Additional information:

IP Profile for your line is 53.23Mbps

Uplooad speed achieved was 13.13Mbps

Additional information:

Upstream Rate IP Profile on your line is 20Mbps.

I just chatted to someone on EE live chat and he said "reset on your router if you haven't if already... and then it would be a potential of 14 days to allow the line to normalize back out". He also said "I recommend to restart your router at least once a month". So, I'm a little confused about whether restarting it is a good thing or a bad thing. Thanks!

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Yes, thanks, those are the important images I required :).

It is not your IP Profile that is manipulated directly by the DLM system. The IP Profile always follows your sync speed, not the other way round. For Fibre, IP Profile = 96.8% x Sync Speed & yours is right on the nose (96.8% x 55 =53.24).

The BTw Performance Test is really only useful for confirming the IP Profile. All other figures are often highly suspect. In particular it reports your Download speed as 59.6 Meg. This is impossible as your throughput can never exceed your IP Profile & is usually a few % below that.

For a more realistic speedtest please use http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html over Ethernet. Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

Restarting the router unnecessarily is a bad thing. Never restart the router unless you notice something sticking or untoward in the performance of the work you are doing. Nearly everything you've been told by EE is utter bosh altho' the 14 days (or nearer 10) might be realistic in your case of constant power downs. How long is it since the building work finished & these slow speeds started?

The DLM system has put you on a banded 55 Meg profile in response to the frequent discons on your line, altho' you now have no significant errors. You need to give the DLM time to relent & remove any banding. If your sync speed at the test socket remains stuck at the same speed for 10 days you should ask EE to investigate the underlying fault. If a fault is found and fixed then the OR engineer may request a DLM reset. However should significant errors persist the DLM will reapply banding.

by paulhs Contributor
Contributor

Hello again

I've now had uninterupted router connection for over 10 days (see attached photos) and run the Thinkbroadband speed test  - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1543229081711241055

Router stats 26-11-18.PNGBasic router stats

Router DSL status 1 26-11-18.PNGAdvanced router stats 1

Router DSL status 2 26-11-18.PNGRouter stats 2

BT speedtest 26-11-18.PNGBT speed test

BT DSL checker 26-11-18.PNGBT DSL checker

I've now rebooted the router and the stats appear the same. I presume now is the time to contact EE?

Thanks for your help.

by paulhs Contributor
Contributor

One question of yours @XRaySpeX I didn't answer was how long ago did my building work finish and the slow speeds begin. The buiding work finished about 3 weeks ago, but the slow speeds began a few weeks before that, during the frequent power interuptions.

Thanks for your help

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, the DLM is stuck on a Banded Profile of up to 55 Meg. Ask EE to reset the DLM.

by paulhs Contributor
Contributor

After 2 conversations, one with Daniel in Plymouth, who said he would look into getting the line reset as it looked like I was on a banded profile, I've now spoken to Katie in Plymouth who told me that fibre lines cannot be on a banded profile, not possible at all and that since I'm getting speed above advertised, they can't invoke any fault invesitagion as Openreach will not even look into it as I'm getting above minimum.

So my questions is, which is true - I can be on a banded profile of up to 55Meg, or I can't?

When I asked can the DLM be reset, she implied it can't as there is no "reset" possible on a fibre line.

I'm more confused (and disappointed) now.

Katie did concede that I had 79Mb back in June, but now stuck on about 54.9 and said it's above minimum, so it looks like I'm stuck with that.

by paulhs Contributor
Contributor

Hi again

is anyone able to confirm if I was told correct information by EE technical support that you CANNOT be on a banded profile on fibre?

Many thanks 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, quite the contrary! I can dispute that & here you will find a table of slightly out-of-date VDSL Banded Profiles as well as a detailed description of how the DLM operates.

by paulhs Contributor
Contributor

Thank you @XRaySpeX, I thought I was given incorrect info. I told her about the info I’d be given on here and she said that EE community members don’t always have the necessary training. To be honest, I had to stifle my laughter at that one. What to do now is the question, phone them back and get into a spat where I say yes you can be on a banded profile and be told, no you can’t. I can’t see a way forward to get back to my very good 79Mb. My ip profile is most definitely stuck on 55Mb. Sigh!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

"EE phone CS agents nearly always don’t have any training"! We, the EE community members, aren't trained. We just have the technical knowledge & experience :). 

A recent poster was told by EE phone CS that he can get EE's "Up to 300 Meg" Fibre Max (G.Fast) at his place. Even BTw showed he can't & a quick check of EE BB Availability would only offer him EE's "Up to 40 Meg" Standard Fibre (capped VDSL). How much training is required for that, I ask you? A soupçon! QED!

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

by paulhs Contributor
Contributor

Cheers, thought so. Can you suggest what I do now then?

by paulhs Contributor
Contributor

After a new EE Smart hub delivery a few months back (which they suggested might help), I have now just got off the line to EE where I was told that I was not on a banded profile, but when she looked at the Openreach details on her screen, she could see that my line was capped at 60Mb. They have raised this with Openreach to see why and to see if the cap can be removed.

It's incredibly frustrating, as the Openreach Engineer said, after visiting twice, once to my house and once to the cabinet, that my line is capable of around 79Mb.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What are your router stats now from the new SH?

by paulhs Contributor
Contributor

SH stats.png

by paulhs Contributor
Contributor

It's a little odd that the ADSL speed check has dropped since last year December though. 2 pics from the BT line check, one before Christmas (top) and one a couple of days ago (bottom). Still way above what I am getting on my "capped" line.BT DSL checker 4-12-18.PNGBT DSL checker 29-05-19.png

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Post your full router stats.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

by paulhs Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, posted the screen grab from Home > Advanced settings > Technical log, Information tab. I presumed you didn't want a screenshot of the Event Log?

There was nothing underneath what I posted apart from my username, wireless channel name and MAC address and boot loader version.

Anyway, in case you did want Event log details, this was the last sync

DSL Link Up: Down Rate=59201kbps, Up Rate=17170kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.0dB, Up=6.0dB

Not sure where I get the additional info you wanted?

by paulhs Contributor
Contributor

In case you couldn't see the pic:

Product name:Smart Hub
Serial number:+EEH001+1843003498
Firmware version:v0.00.24.06190-EE
Firmware updated:Your Firmware has not been updated.
Board version:01
DSL uptime:7 Days, 0 Hours, 43 Mins, 6 Secs
Data rate:17.17 Mbps / 59.20 Mbps
Maximum data rate:17.76 Mbps / 59.12 Mbps
Noise margin (up/down):6.3 / 5.9
Line attenuation (up/down):19.2 / 17.3
Signal attenuation (up/down):19.1 / 17.3

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.