by samyfam Contributor
Contributor

How to re-allocate an IP address

Hi everybody,

Does anybody know how to get the EE Smart Hub to either re-allocate a reserved IP address or release an already allocated IP address so it can be allocated again ?

Scenario:-

I had allocated an IP address to a PC that then suffered a failure on its wireless network adapter, so I swapped it out for another adapter.

When it then connected to the Smart Hub, it was given a different IP address from the DHCP pool - I assume because it had a different MAC address it treats it as a new device.

I then tried to allocate it the old IP address it had been using, but the Smart Hub wont let me saying something along the lines "IP address already allocated".

If I look in the "My network" pages of the Smart Hub interface, there is nothing listed as using the old IP address - both in the "My devices" and "Address table".

I cant just re-connect the old adapter and delete it out of these settings as it is faulty.

I imagine a factory reset and then re-allocation of all IP addresses would "fix" this but I'd rather avoid the pain of having to go through all my setting changes again.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by samyfam Contributor
Contributor
Solution

Re: How to re-allocate an IP address

Just to keep things tidy:

After doing all the "standard" tests EE support have to get you to run through, and a lengthy discussion with them about why I believed my Hub was faulty, a New Hub was agreed as the way forward and arrived 2 days later.

As I suspected, this cured all 3 issues I was having.

I had wondered whether the recent firmware update had anything to do with my issues, but I now very much it doubt - when the new Hub arrived, it had the earlier firmware and updated itself within 48 hours of connecting it.  Hub still working just fine !

Well done to EE support for listening to their customer rather than fobbing them off with the usual "well there's nothing wrong with our tests so it must be your home wiring" that other ISPs have given me before.

9 REPLIES 9
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @samyfam.

@XRaySpeX is the community's resident broadband expert, I'm sure he'll be along shortly to offer some help.

Otherwise, I recommend speaking to our broadband technical support team.

Chris 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Look at all the devices under My Network / Devices for the "old" PC. It remembers all devices ever connected even if now not connected. Delete that device. You may now change the IP of the "new" PC & set "Always use this IP addy".

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by samyfam Contributor
Contributor

Hi XRaySpeX,

Thanks for replying.

This is the strange thing, the "old" PC doesnt show in the Devices or Addresses list at all !

I have used the "Show All", "Show Connected" and "Show Disconnected" filters but all I can find listed is the "new" PC which when I then try to set the IP address I want, it wont let me even though the "Show All" list has no device using that IP address.

I recently submitted a question about a firmware update that was installed overnight.  I was trying to find out what it was for but I was also wondering whether it had any bearing on problems I had been experiencing with my Smart Hub.

Is it possible I do in fact have a faulty Hub and that this is just another fault symptom ?

by samyfam Contributor
Contributor

Hello again,

I'm coming to the conclusion my Smart Hub is flaky and getting more flaky as time goes on.

So far I've had the following issues:

1. Complete lock-up and needing many goes to initiate a factory reset.

2. Unable to allocate an IP address that isnt allocated to anything else but the Hub says it is - what this post was originally about.

3. My desktop PC that is connected by ethernet now takes forever to establish a connection - on boot-up by the time the PC got to the log on page the ethernet icon was showing connection made and internet available.  Now the PC has fully booted but the icon shows it is still connecting, and minutes go by before internet is available.

Can somebody explain how I go about getting a replacement Hub ?

Thanks.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

By phoning EE for a replacement.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by samyfam Contributor
Contributor

Contacted EE who, once they've gone through their standard scripts/tests/etc/etc, will hopefully send me a replacement.

Thanks to all who responded.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You could factory reset the existing router which I would think would put it in the same state as the coming router. That should should get rid of the (false) memory of the used, but can't be found, IP.

Hope it works :).

by samyfam Contributor
Contributor
Solution

Just to keep things tidy:

After doing all the "standard" tests EE support have to get you to run through, and a lengthy discussion with them about why I believed my Hub was faulty, a New Hub was agreed as the way forward and arrived 2 days later.

As I suspected, this cured all 3 issues I was having.

I had wondered whether the recent firmware update had anything to do with my issues, but I now very much it doubt - when the new Hub arrived, it had the earlier firmware and updated itself within 48 hours of connecting it.  Hub still working just fine !

Well done to EE support for listening to their customer rather than fobbing them off with the usual "well there's nothing wrong with our tests so it must be your home wiring" that other ISPs have given me before.

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for the update @samyfam

I'm glad the replacement router fixed the issue.

James

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.