by anniesk Investigator
Investigator

How to disable Internet disconnect status lights on Smart Hub

Hi All,

I have an ADSL connection plugged into the EE wireless hub.

I wish to migrate the ADSL connection to another 3rd party device. However I still want to use the EE hub simply as a wireless AP while my 3rd party device handles the Internet.

However, when I disconnect the Internet from the hub, the lights start flashing in error, even when I disable the status lights in the GUI. This is obvously annoying to me but also my family as they see a constamt flicking light.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

anniek

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: How to disable Internet disconnect status lights on Smart Hub

The SH cannot be used as a pure router, You cannot turn the modem off. Therefore when the modem is receiving no BB signal the warning lights will flash.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

The SH cannot be used as a pure router, You cannot turn the modem off. Therefore when the modem is receiving no BB signal the warning lights will flash.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by anniesk Investigator
Investigator

Thats a shame. I just want to use the WiFi without the routing or the modem. Maybe 'gaffa' tape over the LEDs is the answer 🙂

Thanks.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You still won't be able to use it as a WAP. It can't be used as a router or bridge only.

by anniesk Investigator
Investigator

I've managed to do it. Topology is:

Wall Socket <-----> 3rd party device <----> SmartHub <---->  Hosts (laptops/mobiles etc)

Essentially the built in switch/wireless domain are all 1 big broadcast segment. I've moved DHCP/DNS lookup to the 3rd party device also.

So basicically, the hub is working in Layer 2 of OSI (I will use to electrical tape to cover flashing lights).

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@anniesk wrote:

Wall Socket <-----> 3rd party device <----> SmartHub <---->  Hosts (laptops/mobiles etc)

^

|

What is this connection? Wired or Wifi?

Ah, of course, you are connecting it by the Ethernet (Red) WAN. I would have thought that would take out the modem & the lights wouldn't flash.

by anniesk Investigator
Investigator

That connection is wired into standard LAN port 1 of the Hub. The 3rd party device is non wireless (hence why I want to borrow the hub's wifi features).

I think i could solve the light issue by turning the 3rd party device into a mock ppp server and then plug it into the RJ45 WAN port 4 of the hub, then enter custom credentials to trick the hub into thinking its authenticating with the POP, but seems a lot of effort for a cosmetic issue. I might try it for fun sometime 🙂

Thanks for the advice XRAY

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I would have thought it'll work & the lights go out if you simply move the SH's Ethernet connection from port 1 to red port 4. The other router will have already authenticated to EE's network.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.