by david759 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

How long for full speed after fixing a line problem

I had a line problem which caused no dial tone and slow broadband speeds. This was fixed by an OpenReach engineer 7 days ago but my download speed is still only 8Mbps. It used to be 40. When will the speed return to normal?

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: How long for full speed after fixing a line problem

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats. For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page. Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

System Uptime is: 164:45:48
Current Time/Date is: 10:31:32 16 Oct

Status
                                Configured     Current
Line Status             --                      UP
Link Type                --                      Fast Path
Operation Mode     Automatic     G.993.2 (VDSL2)

Data Rate Information
Upstream                8653 (Kbps)
Downstream           8800 (Kbps)

Defect/Failure Indication
Operation Data       Upstream     Downstream
Noise Margin          5.2 (dB)         25.9 (dB)
Line Attenuation    0.0 (dB)        22.6 (dB)

Indicator Name                                  Near End Indicator     Far End Indicator
Output Power                                    5.8 (dBm)                     11.5 (dBm)
Fast Path FEC Correction                 1051                              5008
Interleaved Path FEC Correction     --                                    --
Fast Path CRC Error                          0                                    0
Interleaved Path CRC Error              --                                    --
Loss of Signal Defect                        2                                    0
Fast Path HEC Error STR                  0                                    0
Interleaved Path HEC Error              --                                    --
Error Seconds                                    21                                   36

Statistics
Received Data                                    28499245 (Kbits)
Transmitted Data                               24556113 (Kbits)
Established Contributor

Have I missed any information? Original fault number is 219627674.

Also, it isn't just the drop in raw speed from 40Mbps to 8Mbps, latency for point to point connectsions seems much worse as well.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

BT Broadband Availability Checker ?

We know nowt about your fault no. This user discussion forum can have no access to your a/c.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

BT Broadband Availability Checker ?

We know nowt about your fault no. This user discussion forum can have no access to your a/c.

Copy and paste doesn't work well, so attached as a picture.

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 17.23.09.png

I had a 40Mbps connection before, when will it be restored?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I think that the DLM system has put you on a banded profile in response to past errors on your line. You need to call EE to reset the DLM in order to remove any banding. However should significant errors persist the DLM will reapply banding.

Established Contributor

This is not what I was told by EE support - wait 10 days and it will all magically sort itself out, they said.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah, ha, the mythical 10 days training!

Established Contributor

I called EE this morning. They did a line check and found another fault, this time at the exchange end. So I guess a few more days running at 20%.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.