by lamray9592
Explorer

How do you set up parental control on the router?

Hi

Is it possible to set up parental control on the router? Currently it seems Norton Family only allows sortware to be installed on each laptop / phone etc. 

I would like to have it blocked at source, preferably at the server end (your end), but if not possible, then at the router. This will help ensure any new pc's / phones / tablets etc are automatically safe.

Thanks

Ray

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: How do you set up parental control on the router?

The answer lies in switching the router from EE's DNS, which as a generic ISP DNS will only block sites prohibited by Court Order. to a child-friendly DNS such as 1 of Configure your router to use Norton ConnectSafe .

I suggest Policy 2 or 3. I tend to use Policy 1 as I have no parental requirements. Note this will also restrict your personal access but is overcomeable by you setting the DNS in your own PC. By the same token your kids could get around it by doing the same if you have allowed them to be admin users.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
14 REPLIES 14
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@lamray9592  Have a look at THIS

you night have the option to change the firewall settings on the router but this could have other effects on other device not working correctly until you allow them the access to.   

Have alook at THIS

by lamray9592
Explorer

Thanks @Chris_B 

I have installed Norton Family but as I said it requires it to be installed at all devices, which isn't always possible.

The router option isn't possible either, as it only allows me to block specific sites, not a category of sites.

So I wonder if EE could centrally block access to inappropriate sites from the server?

Thanks

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@lamray9592   No that’s not possible as your not the only one using it. 

by Profile closed
Not applicable

EE broadband doesn't have any network based content filtering unfortunately.

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

The answer lies in switching the router from EE's DNS, which as a generic ISP DNS will only block sites prohibited by Court Order. to a child-friendly DNS such as 1 of Configure your router to use Norton ConnectSafe .

I suggest Policy 2 or 3. I tend to use Policy 1 as I have no parental requirements. Note this will also restrict your personal access but is overcomeable by you setting the DNS in your own PC. By the same token your kids could get around it by doing the same if you have allowed them to be admin users.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by lamray9592
Explorer

@XRaySpeX That is perfect. It is now working.

I also wonder if it is possible to change the password access to the router? (as it is currently visible on the router)

Thanks!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & that you find it suitable for your needs.

You may change both the WiFi pwd & the admin pwd. Both are covered in Changing Your WiFi Password on a Brightbox .

by
EE Community Support Team

Morning @lamray9592

I am very pleased you got the help you needed from the community.

Come back anytime 🙂

Thanks for helping @XRaySpeX.

by SS_77

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, it works. But Norton Connectsafe is to retire in Nov 2018, any alternatives please?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@SS_77: Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

See the Norton ConnectSafe Announcement . It does mention Neustar UltraRecursive w/out endorsing it.

by AndrewEE1
Explorer

No that won't work.

My children are perfectly capable of DNS switching. This just brings control back to the device level.

This needs to be very easy, not a programming skills contest with your children.

BT do it well (We've justed switched from them).

Apparently Sky offer it all installed by default.

The "Choose Ltd" website also descrbes router level parental controls by Virgin and Talk Talk. A third of Talk Talk customers opt for it.

EE should accept their social responsibility to help parents block unsuitable material even if they have kids cleverer than them.

Andre

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@AndrewEE1   Then you change the admin password of the router and don’t tell the kids what it is.   

by AndrewEE1
Explorer

If I understand @XRaySpeX correctly, changing the DNS on their own device will disable the controls in place from the safe DNS on the router.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@AndrewEE1 : Yes, that is correct. If they have mobile devices I don't think you can change DNS on them; only on computers.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.