by lord_lordy Investigator
Investigator

How do I use my EE Smart hub as a router only

I have just got a new Smart Hub and want to use it to extend my network at home. This means I don't want it to be my access to the internet but instead just act as a router within my network and provide a wifi at a far part of the house.

Is this possible ?

I have managed to set it up so it all works correctly when wired (by switching off it's DNS server). But it's wireless network doesn't connect to the internet. Now I can't log on to the box to try adn change things - i believe because it's got a different IP now BUT I can't see it when I go to my main routers status page. I've tried factory reset on it to start again but that doesn't work. I then disconnected from my network but then when I try to login as admin it tells me  I can't because it's not online.

I'm now very confused so any help much appreciated

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: How do I use my EE Smart hub as a router only

@lord_lordy wrote:

I don't want it to be my access to the internet

You mean you don't want to use it as the modem connecting to the BB?

Are you feeding it thro' its WAN port 4 from the main router?

How are you setting up IP ranges of it & the main router?

DNS has nowt to do with routing..

Factory reset will always put it back to what it was. Have you tested it on its own?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

I tried the WAN 4 Port but didn't seem to work (but that clearly shoudl have been something else).

DNS - may have used wrong term - what I (think I) did was switch off the IP generation on that router

Have not set IP Range - didn't think I needed to if it got it's IP from main router and used main router to allocate IPs

Not sure I did factory reset correctly as I just couldn't get to log back in to the smart hub as admin. I had it disconnected from the main router thinking htat would sort the problem.

From your response I'm assuming that I should be able to do what I'm trying to do.

Investigator

forgot to say in previous post. You are correct I don't wnat to use it as the modem connecting to BB. My connection is all ok so didn't plan to mess with it - instead I want to place this is in a far part of the house (with a wired connection) and create a wifi network there.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

OIC! You have disabled the DHCP, the bit that allocates IPs. You are not trying to turn it into a router but into a bridge.

Here's one I did earlier with Brightboxes: To make a second Brightbox as a WAP on your LAN to the main Brightbox . I do have a more advanced version where both act as routers (DHCP & NAT enabled).

I still believe you should be using WAN Port 4. That is where the Net is coming from/going to & it should be bypassing the modem.

Have you made the wireless SSIDs identical on both routers?

My feeling is that it can't be done with SHs as they are considerably dumbed-down by BT & don't have the controllability of Brightboxes.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Thanks for the link. I am struggling to find where I make even the first change it suggests:

Set Broadband Type of Secondary BB = Fibre/Ethernet for a BB1 or Ethernet for a BB2 (untick the "Enable ADSL/Fibre auto sensing" 1st), under Basic Settings

I can't find basic settings after I've logged in as admin - can you tell me where to find it ?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You can't! That's where the SH is dumbed down.

Those instructions are for a Brightbox not a SH. I only showed you that as an example of using a router as a Bridge which it appears you are trying to do.

Investigator

argh, So you're telling me this is not possible ? I was confused as I thought you were saying it could be done.

I was getting so frustrated - since i've done this with other routers and was cursing how bad this one was.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No. I said it can be done with other routers (as you yourself have found) but I felt that it can't be done with the SH cuz of its dumbing down & lack of controllability that other routers have.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.