by JackieCou Investigator
Investigator

How do I know I’d my router supports UPnP

I’ve got a home network system that I’ve always been to access away from home.  It’s suddenly stopped working - I can access it at home but not away from home.  I’ve been asked to check if my router supports UPnP which I assume it must as I’ve not had any problems until the last few weeks.   Do I need to change anything on the router - I can’t see what or how unless it means plugging in to one of other ports on the router....  As I’ve changed nothing and it’s stopped working I’m at a loss to know what else to do.  Can anyone help please. 

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: How do I know I’d my router supports UPnP

Which router? Both EE's Brightboxes & Smart Hubs support uPnP.

However I doubt your issue has anything to do with uPnP but is to do with the fact that you have a dynamic public IP liable to change at any time. Are you employing a Dynamic DNS (DDNS) to overcome this?

Have you opened the ports of this home server you have?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Thanks, it’s a Brightbox2 .   I have no idea what a DDNS is (I am not technically minded but managed to sort things out one way or another).  Just had an email from Panasonic re the home system and it says to assign a static ip address to the hub or configure your wireless routers port forwarding feature to forward ports 6200 to 6300 whatever that means !   I’ve got some links to look at but have no idea really!  

Have no idea about whether I’ve opened ports or not.   What’s irritating is it all worked fine for 2 years and has now suddenly changed.

Thanks for your prompt help and I’d be glad of any other you can give !

Investigator

Thanks, it’s a Brightbox2 .   I have no idea what a DDNS is (I am not technically minded but managed to sort things out one way or another).  Just had an email from Panasonic re the home system and it says to assign a static ip address to the hub or configure your wireless routers port forwarding feature to forward ports 6200 to 6300 whatever that means !   I’ve got some links to look at but have no idea really!  

Have no idea about whether I’ve opened ports or not.   What’s irritating is it all worked fine for 2 years and has now suddenly changed.

Thanks for your prompt help and I’d be glad of any other you can give !  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah, port forwarding is opening ports as I suggested.

Login to the BB2 & go to Advanced / NAT / Port Forwarding & add the setting:

Enable No. LAN IP Address Protocol Type Private Ports Public Ports Delete
1 192.168.1.x
TCP&UDP

6200-6300 ~ 6200-6300 ~

where x is the static IP you chose.

It's hard to imagine it ever worked w/out this. I still think you will need a DDNS as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Thanks but where/how do I log in to the BB2 ?   

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Login to your BB2 at http://192.168.1.1 as "admin" with the admin password on the label on the back of the router.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.