Highlighted
by JessClark78 Investigator
Investigator

How do I connect my HP wifi printer to my new Smart Hub?

Hey

i have a Macbook Air and its been connected to a HP Deskjet 4500 series printer for a long time and been fine.  I just upgraded from an EE Brightbox to an EE Smart Hub and fibre braodband and now it wont find it wirelessley. I have done troubleshooting and turned things on and off in various sequences, deleted and tried to reinstall the printer (i dont have a cd i have just connected with a cable to my computer) but now its on the list but showing offline.  Any idea as to what i can do to make the wireless work?  I read somehere that it possibly may not be compatible with a Smart Hub?

thanks

Jess

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Investigator
Solution

Re: How do I connect my HP wifi printer to my new Smart Hub?

SUCCESS!  I deleted the printer from the list of printers again, turned off.  I had re-googled the problem and came across someone with the same problem who had done the deletion and then found on the wifi list hpsetup and then gone through a re-configutation that was (as apparently now Apple doesnt offer any software install or drivers etc).  Its on this site you then get to add in the new EE router info and then switch back from hpsetup to my home WIFI.  Thanks all for the suggestions.

14 REPLIES 14
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Does the printer have a WPS button? Press the WPS button on the router for 5 sec & then the WPS button on the printer. It should connect.

There is no reason for a WiFi printer not to be compatible with any WiFi router.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Have you tried Setup / Wireless Menu / Setup Wizard & followed its instructions?

It's possible that this is not a network printer & will only connect directly to a PC, not a router

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

The printer has worked fine wirelessly for years...and only stopped once ichanged my router

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, so it probably needs its connection to your PC setting up again. Have you tried my suggestions?

It it meant to be a network printer or just attached to 1 PC?

Investigator

Yes. And it’s not a PC it’s a Mac

Sent from my iPhone
by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @JessClark78.

Can you remember how you connected it last time?

There should be an option called system preferences, then printers and scanners.

It will then give you an option to add a new printer.

Let us know if this helps 🙂

Jon

Investigator

Morning 🙂

I was always a PC person up until last November, but i had simply connected my new Mac to my wifi and the printer was discoverable. The new router went in a couple of days ago and the printer was listed on the Printer and Scanner section (from when i got the Mac) but was listed as offline and the wifi button on the printer just flashes like it cant find the wifi.  As some have suggested, i deleted the printer to try and reinstall (the HP site says you dont need to download driver as the Apple Utitlity does it for you) but now it just cant find it.  Ive tried using a cable to connect the printer to the computer and it worked once but printing wirelessly wont work.  I printed out a wifi report from the printer and it says its still connected to the old Brightbox wifi not the Smart Hub one.

thanks

Jess

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks @JessClark78.

Is there any way on the Mac that you can forget the Brightbox?

I know there is an option for Reset Printing System, have you tried this?

Jon

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Please talk me thro' what happens when you use Setup / Wireless Menu / Setup Wizard & follow its instructions?

I'm not familiar with your setup or that printer. Is it being used as a network printer or just attached to the Mac?

Investigator

just playing catch up on this as ive been away from the printer.  Whereabouts is Reset Printing System?  I cant find it anywhere

Jess

Investigator

Sorry XRaySpeX ive been away from the printer and just getting through messages, losing trail of who wrote what :-/.  Where is Setup/WirelessMenu/Setup Wizard as its nowhere that ive found on my Mac.  Ive literally gone through every function i can find...ive set up my printers on my own for many many years and ive never had this problem.

Investigator
Solution

SUCCESS!  I deleted the printer from the list of printers again, turned off.  I had re-googled the problem and came across someone with the same problem who had done the deletion and then found on the wifi list hpsetup and then gone through a re-configutation that was (as apparently now Apple doesnt offer any software install or drivers etc).  Its on this site you then get to add in the new EE router info and then switch back from hpsetup to my home WIFI.  Thanks all for the suggestions.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's supposed to be on the printer's Control Panel display.

Is it being used as a network printer or just attached to the Mac?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.