by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: How do I connect a second Bright Box 2 to a first BB2 in order to extend wit

What did you set the Protocol of the secondary BB to? This is not covered in the solution to this thread which you say you followed but is in the solution I gave you.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by kurtph1969 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Re: How do I connect a second Bright Box 2 to a first BB2 in order to extend wit

Thanks for the replies. I actually figured it out with a bit of reading. 1) I hadn't enabled 'bridging mode' on the secondary router and also I hadn't put the correct internet username from in (from the primary router -  the password was the same). Sat in the garden now with excellent download speed!

This forum/thread has been invaluable in setting up my secondary router which I was about to consign to recycling! It also means that, not only do I have a range extender solution, but I also have my printer and Ext USB Drive sitting on my home network, accessible wirelessly. Thanks again!! Smiley Very Happy

by
EE Employee

I'm glad you are now all sorted 🙂

Cheers

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@kurtph1969: Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Chunky100 Contributor
Contributor

Hi, did you ever resolve this, I have my secondary router attached through power lines and can connect to the internet through Ethernet cable, but not picking up wireless even though the wireless light is on. Hope you can shed some light on this for me.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Chunky100: Have you tried following https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-home-phone/How-do-I-connect-a-second-Bright-Box-2-to-a-first... ?

It is simpler than the Solution of this thread which in particular omits Bridging Mode for the secondary router.

by Chunky100 Contributor
Contributor

Hi X-ray. I thin I’ve covered everything described here. Just a couple of things I’m not too sure about. Firstly, what type of broadband connection should be set in the primary router, I’m on fibre but I have read somewhere that it should be Ethernet, I’m confused and concerned that if change this I will lose my fibre connection to the internet. Secondly, when reserving the gateway address of the secondary router on the primary, I have to enter the MAC address of the secondary manually. I have picked this up from the system page of the secondary router, but there are two addresses one for LAN and one for wireless. Both are the same except for the last letter. LAN ends in the letter e and WiFi in f. What should I use here? I used the LAN address.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Chunky100:

1. I presume your primary router is a Brightbox 2 & that you don't have separate OR Fibre modem. Normally set it to "Enable ADSL/Fibre auto sensing" but if it isn't set it to "Fibre".
  2. If you can't see the secondary router in the primary router's DHCP's Current DHCP Client list then manually reserve it by its Ethernet LAN MAC addy as the 2 routers are connected by Ethernet even if it is via Powerlines.

by Chunky100 Contributor
Contributor

Hi x-ray, you're right. My primary is BB2 & secondary BB 1. The primary is
set to auto sensing & fibre is selected but greyed out. I've just checked
everything out and it seems to be as it should be. I connect my laptop to
the secondary using ethernet cable and powerline and it works fine although
it reports that I'm connected to beagle 3 although the ssid is just
beagle. However when I disconnect the cable and turn on wifi it just picks
up a weak wifi signal from the primary router downstairs & seems to ignore
the secondary even though I'm stood next to it.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Windows has a habit of adding a no. to network names in some of its displays. It probably means this is the 3rd or 4th time you've tried to connect to that network & have then ceased that connection.

The methods given in this thread require the 2 routers to be connected by Ethernet. I know of no way yet to do it wirelessly. Even these modern Mesh / Whole Home WiFi systems require the 1st Mesh node to be connected to the BB router or modem by Ethernet.

Aside from that you seem to have got it working.

by Chunky100 Contributor
Contributor

Okay, thanks very much for your assistance.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Chunky100: Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

by Suggsy Investigator
Investigator

@XRaySpeX

Apologies to bring up this old thread but I'm struggling a little. I believe my issue is as per Chunky100, although I think his/her query was possibly misread?

I've read this whole thread and believe I've got it all set up correctly. For information, both my routers are BB2's.

When I connect my laptop to the secondary via an ethernet cable into one of the ethernet ports, I get internet no problem. When I unplug the ethernet cable, my laptop won't get internet via wifi. I think this is the problem Chunk100 was referring to. In summary, my wifi connection is not being extended as it will only let me connect via an ethernet cable. Hope that makes sense!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Suggsy: Did you follow post 6 or post 37 of this thread to set it up?

by Suggsy Investigator
Investigator

@XRaySpeX post 37

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Suggsy: Good!

Try giving the 2nd BB a diff SSID name from the 1st & see if you can connect your lappy over WiFi to that.

by Suggsy Investigator
Investigator

@XRaySpeX I'll try that tomorrow and get back to you. If I'm changing the SSID name of the secondary, should I also create a different password or does that make no difference?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Suggsy: I wouldn't bother. It's up to you. All you're trying to do is get the WiFi connection to the 2nd BB to work. It'll be easier to remember how to log in to either if the pwds are the same & you'll know which BB your devices are connected to.

by kurtph1969 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Did  you enable "bridging" mode on the secondary router?

ee_bridging.jpg

@Suggsy wrote:

@XRaySpeX

Apologies to bring up this old thread but I'm struggling a little. I believe my issue is as per Chunky100, although I think his/her query was possibly misread?

I've read this whole thread and believe I've got it all set up correctly. For information, both my routers are BB2's.

When I connect my laptop to the secondary via an ethernet cable into one of the ethernet ports, I get internet no problem. When I unplug the ethernet cable, my laptop won't get internet via wifi. I think this is the problem Chunk100 was referring to. In summary, my wifi connection is not being extended as it will only let me connect via an ethernet cable. Hope that makes sense!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@kurtph1969: It's Step 3 of my method (post 37) which @Suggsy said he followed & missing from this thread's original Solution.

For that reason, I have changed post 37 to be the Solution of this thread for clarity & for the sake of future users coming to this thread.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.