by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Home broadband minimum line speed

Hi All, 

A strange one really I am with sky and virgin for my broadband I only pay for one.

I was looking at Ee broadband I called up to find the latest deals the guy started to go through it and then said your guaranteed minimum line speed is 35 this is for the 76mbps service I stopped him there and said that’s no good to me and he said that’s what Openreach say not us. So that’s what we have to quote.

now bt Sky and Vodafone are all quoting 71 or above why the difference anyone any idea?

i should add I’m on 76 with sky and always get over 70 so the line is more than capable 

thanks 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
14 REPLIES 14
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Home broadband minimum line speed

Hi, @Damienw1, what does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

What do you mean that you are with Sky & Virgin for your BB? Virgin is another kettle of fish.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hi @XRaySpeX Thanks for taking an interest it didn’t recognise phone number so I put in full address like you said this is what it says IMG_0018.PNG

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

I mean I have 2 different broadband services currently sky and virgin the Tv is with virgin and at the time it was cheaper to have the broadband with it but I’ve had issues with it so decided to get fibre elsewhere as well (the sky is a completely separate line) 

thanks 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What's it say against "Bridge Tap" near the bottom of the table or isn't it showing it? Table seems to end early before the text. Maybe it only shows it on a PC & you're using a tablet.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hi @XRaySpeX I’ve tried it on a Pc as well and I can’t see bridge tap anywhere?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

OK, we'll have to do w/out it.

That table is the same info. that EE sees. There's no way from it that they can be quoting a "guaranteed minimum line speed" of 35 Meg. When you ask ISPs for a quote they should quote to you an Estimated download speed. In your case this will be at least 57.6 Meg or more likely 77.7 Meg (the VDSL Lows of that table).

If you go to https://broadband.ee.co.uk & ask to Check Availability you should get an estimate of 77.7 Meg.

Note: All estimates by ISPs of speed are the sync speeds reported by the router. I'm guessing that the speeds that you say you are getting are speedtests, which will be about 10% lower due to TCP/IP overheads. Hence the difference.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Thanks @XRaySpeX As you can see here it says 74.5 but then it says minimum speed 35 underneath that’s no good to me as when I don’t get anywhere near it they will say well we only promised you 35 IMG_0020.PNG

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Duh, I never noticed that small print. Dunno where they dreamt up that figure. Still, I'd just go by the BT Checker as the best estimate available of your line's capability but, contractually, it could be as you say if it comes down to it. I daresay other ISPs could have similar min. speeds once you've signed up.

I ignore EE's estimates of my speeds when I know from my actual router stats that they are vastly underestimated.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Thanks very much for your help I’m not going to chance it If the other major providers can all state a minimum speed of 70 or over and are prepared to advertise that straight up I really don’t see why Ee can’t I think it is a get out clause for when they don’t provide.

Quite disappointing really but you live and learn 

Thanks 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

It's all the same Fibre from whoever you get it from. except Virgin.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Damienw1: See how BT, https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-packages/ , compares as your minimum guaranteed speed (MGS). I tried it:

• It gives a ridiculously low MGS of 4 Meg for my ADSL BB compared with EE's 13 Meg, for my 20 Meg line.
  • However on Fibre it's much better with a realistic MGS of 56 Meg (same as the BT Checker's Downstream Handback Threshold) compared with EE's 27 Meg.

I would expect any ISP quoting a MGS for Fibre to be only using the BT Checker's Downstream Handback Threshold, as BT does & EE doesn't.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hi @XRaySpeX mine shows this I just don't see where Ee get 35mbps from! 

Screenshot_20170808-233500.png

by Profile closed
Not applicable

You will probably see a difference in peak speeds during the evenings though with EE compared to what you get now with Sky.

Sky fibre and broadband speeds remain pretty consistent during the day and night, EE and BT are not so consistent unfortunately.  Whilst the fibre cab to your home bit is the same for every provider, that’s where the similarities end between Sky and EE or BT etc as Sky use their own equipment in the exchanges and also use their own separate backhaul network.

My next door neighbour was with EE for fibre for some time and he had endless issues during the evenings at peak times.  Since he switched to Sky, those peak times speed drops disappeared.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Me neither! It's ridiculous. It's even lower than the Impacted Line Downstream Handback Threshold. It can only be a bug!

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.