by LoudSpy Investigator
Investigator

High Latency Spikes - DL / UL Semi Consistent - Lag Spikes Random and Often

My EE connection has been an absolute nightmare recently. My main use for my connection is gaming, and streaming games. Random high pings over 2,000 ms basically make it worthless to me. I hope someone can help.

I'm getting these spikes regardless of what I'm playing, and other players on the same servers do not experience the same problem.

Router is already connected to the master socket, pc connected via ethernet. Two Android phones connected to the router wirelessly (the problem remains even if they are not connected), we don't use a home phone as it's not 1997.

DSL status

System uptime

Wired speedtest link

Think Broadband Download / Upload F ratings 930ms

Meter ping test, showing 2330ms ping spike

My local exchange

Can we not attach images here?

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: High Latency Spikes - DL / UL Semi Consistent - Lag Spikes Random and Often

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

Well done with all that info. Your BB connection is fine. There's nowt there to account for it.

Now please post your tracert to your game server. Also the pathping to it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by LoudSpy Investigator
Investigator

I have no idea how to do that, it's happening on multiple games, and I don't have the IP addresses. Is there a thread with info on that? I didn't see any mention of that in the other one?

How do I do a traceroute / pathping the following games?

Paladins

Player Unknown's Battlegrounds

Dirty Bomb

Last Man Standing

I'm getting the problems outside of games too. Both the attached ping tests were from different websites, and they both show the giant spikes in latency, so it's clearly not my connection to the individual games, it's happening gaming, and browsing.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If you don't know the IP of any of your game servers you can't do my tests :(.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@LoudSpy: I think I have found the likely reason for your packet loss issue in Experiencing random packet loss .

There is nowt we can do here about this but I suggest you petition the BB Team, using the so-called "email" form that you can use for BB: https://explore.ee.co.uk/broadband/email-us , to look into this & check out what its peering partners are doing to cause this.

by LoudSpy Investigator
Investigator

Can't I just traceroute something else? The lag isn't just when gaming, I don't understand why I have to ping the games, when it's my connection that's the problem, not their servers.

Is there any benefit to using that form over just calling?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

There's nowt wrong with your BB connection. It's the route taken from you to your game server that is the issue if you read the link I gave you. So only you can test that from your end.

What something else do you know gives this issue? Then tracert & pathping that.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.