Highlighted
by eros329 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi, its me again. And broadband dropped from 5mB to 0.7mB again.

After 3 weeks working fine, my broadband speed dropped to 70kB/s again from yesterday evening until now. I have the same problem last month for 20days as following link:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-home-phone/speed-limited-for-20days-and-require-cancellation...

How could I asked an EE or BT engineer coming to check my physical device or how can I cancel the contract?

微信截图_20180913202313.png微信截图_20180913202328.png

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1536866417581316055

HammersmithLWHAMLondonLondon
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Hi, its me again. And broadband dropped from 5mB to 0.7mB again.

Oh, I thought you said there were no Near End errors. Now you say there are FEC Corrections on the Near End. If they are high, say millions a day, those are what I am concerned about.They are corrections but only by reducing considerably the effective throughput. (FYI: I've never see a FEC correction on my line ever.) I never worry about errors on the Far End particularly on a 1 Meg upstream ADSL line.

Remember I am saying all this w/out the sight of your latest stats.

Does the cable to your room end in a master phone socket containing a test socket? What is BT's Muliplexer exactly? Is that BT's NTE (Network Termination Equipment) for all the rooms? If so, between there & your room will be yours or the hall's responsibility (I can't speak for the divide between them).

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
18 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Have you bought yourself a cheap corded handset yet to confirm any noise on your line, as I feel there must be, before calling out a BT eng who might end up charging for finding fault with your internal wiring?

I say this before seeing your stats, which are still awaiting Mod approval.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Hi, thanks for your kind advice. But also as I said before, as a customer I think it should be EE's responsibility to ensure the service I paid working. I have done so many checking over phone with their engineers and I just feel weird that I still need to buy device to test the line and report those to BT.  

I am a foreign student here since 2013 but will graduate in half a year, so even the cheapest corded handset just for testing a uncertain problem is just a waste of money and time. I am a phd in electronics, so I understand you maybe right. But my ISP is EE, and it is EE who rents the line from BT not me. EE should ensure the line working, and I have report my problem to EE but they cannot fix it. 

I understand you are not a EE staff, so I just wish anyone works for EE could answer my question: whether they could send any engineer to fix my problem or how I can simply cancel the contract.  

Thank you again, your advise could fix the problem, but I believe testing and fixing the wiring should be EE's responsibility not me.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@eros329 wrote:

I have report my problem to EE but they cannot fix it. 

Suit yourself, but I reckon you'll keep returning here with the same issue till you narrow it down. How do you know that the problem is not in your own internal wiring, for which you are responsible & which EE can't fix, at least not w/out charging you? Better to prove to EE & BT that the problem is on their side. It is a common BB diagnostic by users to carry out a QLT & 1 required by BT.

Established Contributor

I have test the speed with my desktop,laptop and mobile phone. And I have tested the internal ethernet cable in my college. And I just test the telephone 4 pin cable 2 min before in my neighbour's room with his sky router, also working fine.  And also 3weeks ago I had a 2.5 hour telephone call with EE's engineer, I told them I have checked everything but we still did check over a remote camera again to ensure its not caused by some stupid reason. I have a good background knowledge in communication engineering and computer science, and I totally understand in most of time, some stupid problem happens, but It seems my problem not happens in this way.

As you see,  the near-end has no errors, which also indicates the problem happens in the ISP exchanger not my end. Upload works fine but download has so many CRC errors.

And also as I said, Youtube works fine, but all the other website could not be opened, which also indicates my wiring and router works fine. Google buy their own CDN

I wont waste time to keep returningm so I am asking how to leave EE. If their engineering group cannot fix the problem, I hope I could speak to their customer group for a fully refund. I did not get the minimum service they promised.

Thanks for your advice, honestly. And sorry for that I am so angry with EE's service.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@eros329 wrote:

As you see,  the near-end has no errors, which also indicates the problem happens in the ISP exchanger not my end.

In your previous thread the Near End (Downstream) was riddled with errors. If they've gone away over a significant Uptime then it could well be something else in play.

But, no, I can't see them yet.

Oh, I wasn't talking about the Ethernet & RJ11 cables but the internal phone wiring within the fabric of your property.

Established Contributor

In both of these 2 posts (3weeks ago and this) the problem is the same. full of near-end correction and far-end CRC error.. there is no near-end CRC errors. The CRC errors cumulated in DSLAM not my side.

And I am living in a student hall, and 3 years ago, a bt engineer came and installed the cable to my room...I feel comfused that why I should be responsible to that cable, it came with the contract and linked directly to the bt's multiplexer, I cannot test or fix it.

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Oh, I thought you said there were no Near End errors. Now you say there are FEC Corrections on the Near End. If they are high, say millions a day, those are what I am concerned about.They are corrections but only by reducing considerably the effective throughput. (FYI: I've never see a FEC correction on my line ever.) I never worry about errors on the Far End particularly on a 1 Meg upstream ADSL line.

Remember I am saying all this w/out the sight of your latest stats.

Does the cable to your room end in a master phone socket containing a test socket? What is BT's Muliplexer exactly? Is that BT's NTE (Network Termination Equipment) for all the rooms? If so, between there & your room will be yours or the hall's responsibility (I can't speak for the divide between them).

Established Contributor

Sorry for not knowing the conventional name - NTE, but it should be what I meant. But both the cable into my room and the equipment in the first floor is locked and BT's engineer has the key. I will ask the hall manager about who exactly has the responsiblity. If it is me, I will test that machine by myself.

And please not say never worry abot errors on Far end.  if it happens for 1000 times during 1day, should be fine. But 12887467 errors over 13330733 kbits received data is unacceptable. And not say only near end FEC correction is the main concern, when far end HEC and CRC erros are also extremely high.  (FYI: during the past 2 years my EE broadband also works really stable until signing the new cheaper contract last month).

The main problem of my post is asking whether there is someone working for EE could solve my question on their offical forum. or how can I cancel the contract.

Established Contributor

And if you still believe it should be something wrong with my cables or devices, please tell me why youtube can still and always work fine?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @eros329,

I can see that @XRaySpeX has already given you lots of support and advice so far.

If you give our technical support guys a ring, they will be able to look into this further for you and narrow down where the fault lies and who will be responsible for the fix.

If it is anything EE can resolve, we will complete this for you, and arrange a BT engineer if necessary.

Let us know how you get on once you have been in touch 

Alex

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Alex_S: I am still awaiting for the images in the OP to appear so I can know what the OP is talking about.

by

Hi @XRaySpeX, no worries at all Smiley Happy

Alex

Established Contributor

@Alex_S wrote:

Hi @eros329,

I can see that @XRaySpeX has already given you lots of support and advice so far.

If you give our technical support guys a ring, they will be able to look into this further for you and narrow down where the fault lies and who will be responsible for the fix.

If it is anything EE can resolve, we will complete this for you, and arrange a BT engineer if necessary.

Let us know how you get on once you have been in touch 

Alex

Thanks for your advise, and I have phoned the technical support. And they told me they will send a BT engineer to check the BT's exchanger. I hope the problem could fix or at least I could be eligble to cancel the contract. They will phone me back in Monday.

I hope the technical support could find where the fault lies and who should be responsible to fix, and am also waiting for @XRaySpeX 's response why he thinks I am responsible to buy a corded phone to test the internal cable by myself when youtube could work with estimated speed. 

He says he is a customer not a staff of EE and indeed his advise can provide some helps. But I have also contacted EE's group alot during the past month about this problem, and I had done everything EE's engineer required but "buy a corded phone and report faulted line to BT". The problem remains and I did not get the promised "new router" which should be sent 1 month ago. I am so willing to discuss with him about the area of the responsiblities. What should be done by customers, and what should be done by EE or BT.

Thank you for your reply, and have a nice weekend.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

My comments are merely advisory based on best practice in the BB sphere. It's up to you whether to act on them or not & spend £10. I'm no longer inclined to continue this.

Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

My comments are merely advisory based on best practice in the BB sphere. It's up to you whether to act on them or not & spend £10. I'm no longer inclined to continue this.

Have a nice weekend and thank you for your advise. your comments should be useful and I totally understand it is my bias that I dont wish to do things should be done by ISP.

For the reason that Youtube could works fine, so I dont think act on them to spend 10 pound could fix my problem (although improving the line QoS should provides benefits). And according to my last post 20days ago, when the download speed returned normal, the FEC corrections was still extremly high, but without Far-end erros the BB could work fine. I hope I could get the answer by the next Monday and will post that here.

by

Hi @eros329,

I'm glad our technical support team were able to get things moving for a resolve.

Please come back and let us know how you get on after your update on Monday.

Alex

Established Contributor

@Alex_S wrote:

Hi @eros329,

I'm glad our technical support team were able to get things moving for a resolve.

Please come back and let us know how you get on after your update on Monday.

Alex

Hi Alex,

I received a new router yesterday evening, and just plugged it in and the speed remains slow until the morning today. the speed got normal without any modification when I got up today. I checked the system DSL log there was still a big mount of near end FEC corrections but no more any far end errors. I suppose the line could remain fine for a while but I am not sure whether could stay forever.

And according to the telephone feedback from EE's technical support team, I got some information.

Firstly, 20days ago, the "engineer" who took me 1.5 hours long on phone but did nothing was actually not a engineer but a "remote customer service", thats why he just asked me to check many stupid question and did not send me a new router.

Secondly, EE's external engineer checked my line and confirmed that my problem was caused by congestions in NTE, as there are too many users serviced in my area. 

And at least with the new router and the extenal engineer's work, I could achieve a acceptable speed (4.3mbps) in DL right now. But it still needs to be watched for longer to ensure a long time guarantee.

Thanks for your help, and hope everything goes find.

by

Thanks  for the update @eros329

I hope the speed improvement continues.

James

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.