by Chunky100 Contributor
Contributor

Hi, has anyone had issHues with the new smart hub losing its connection to the i

Hi, has anyone had issues with the new smart hub losing its connection to the internet. It happens to me several times every day, although it is very brief, it is really annoying. EE support have not been able to offer any solutions. Open Reach have been around twice and say the line is okay. The hub has been swapped for a new one, but same problem. I have done a quiet line test, no issues there. There is no pattern to the loss, it seems to be completely random. It only started when i changed from smart router 2 to the new hub.

i get the following message in the technical log at every instance.

WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected {ERROR_NO_CARRIER}

I have tried disconnecting my phone, using a different power outlet, changed DSL cable, i have the latest open reach sockets.

i am totally baffled. I can see that other people have had similar issues when looking on line, but no answers.

i am really happy with EE and do not want to leave, only to end up with the same issue with another provider.

so please, if anyone has the answer.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Chunky100 Contributor
Contributor
Solution

Re: Hi, has anyone had issHues with the new smart hub losing its connection to t

Hi xray & anyone else following this thread, just to say I have been up and running now for nearly two days without any dropout, so I think it was safe to say that the cable to the master socket had degraded over time. It has now been replaced and I also have a slight increase in speed from 43mbs to 50mbs.

So got there in the end.

Hope this post proves helpful to someone else with similar issues.

Chunky

12 REPLIES 12
by Chunky100 Contributor
Contributor

Anyone have problems with the new smart hub keep dropping internet connection.

Hi, has anyone had issues with the new smart hub losing its connection to the internet. It happens to me several times every day, although it is very brief, it is really annoying. EE support have not been able to offer any solutions. Open Reach have been around twice and say the line is okay. The hub has been swapped for a new one, but same problem. I have done a quiet line test, no issues there. There is no pattern to the loss, it seems to be completely random. It only started when i changed from smart router 2 to the new hub.

i get the following message in the technical log at every instance.

WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected {ERROR_NO_CARRIER}

I have tried disconnecting my phone, using a different power outlet, changed DSL cable, i have the latest open reach sockets.

i am totally baffled. I can see that other people have had similar issues when looking on line, but no answers.

i am really happy with EE and do not want to leave, only to end up with the same issue with another provider.

so please, if anyone has the answer.

by Chunky100 Contributor
Contributor

Re: Anyone have problems with the new smart hub keep dropping internet connectio

The message is also preceded by.

PPP: stopped PPP daemon (0,1,5)

PPP LCP Receive Termination ACK

PPP LCP Send Termination Request (user request)

PPP IPCP down

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Hi, has anyone had issHues with the new smart hub losing its connection to t

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

What is "smart router 2"? Do you mean the Brightbox 2?

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

4. What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Chunky100

Could you come back to us following the steps that @XRaySpeX has laid out above?

We'll do our best to help.

Chris

by Chunky100 Contributor
Contributor

Hi Xray, yes it was a brightbox2, sorry couldn't remember the proper name.

I have the following links for you as requested.

https://www.availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LCLYT

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1560672023581514755

If there is anything else you need please let me know.

many thanks, 

Chunky

2019-06-16.png2019-06-16 (2).png2019-06-16 (3).png2019-06-16.png2019-06-17.png

by Chunky100 Contributor
Contributor

Yes, will do Chris. I've just posted the information that xray specs requested, so just waiting for him to get back to me now.

Thanks,

Chunky

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Other than your BB is a bit on the slow side your connection looks OK.

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Wrong URL! Corrected:

@Chunky100 wrote:

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LCLYT

by Chunky100 Contributor
Contributor

Hi xray, I've tried rebooting the router & plugging into  the test socket, but the dropout is still occurring as seen in the screenshots i've posted. The only real change I noticed is that the speed went up from about 43mbps to about 50mbps when the telephone wasn't connected, but dropped back to 43mbps when connected.

I have done a quiet line test using a corded phone & using the test socket, but all seems to be okay there.

2019-06-19 (1).png2019-06-19 (2).png2019-06-19 (3).png2019-06-19.png

by Chunky100 Contributor
Contributor

Hi xray, just to keep you updated.

I noticed that the issue was getting worse so I kept a closer I on the tech log.

There were very few incidents during the night, but several when we got up in the morning,  so looked like something we were doing. Anyway to cut a long story short, the open reach cable to the master socket goes through my garage and under the floor & I soon realised that nearly everytime we walked over the flooring there was drop out, so perhaps there has been some movement & wear/degradation of the cable. Open reach are attending tomorrow so I report back on their conclusions.

Chunky

20190624_103110.jpgCable coming through wall & under the flooring20190624_103110.jpg

20190624_103110.jpg

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for the update @Chunky100

Let us know what Openreach advise tomorrow 🙂

Leanne.

by Chunky100 Contributor
Contributor
Solution

Hi xray & anyone else following this thread, just to say I have been up and running now for nearly two days without any dropout, so I think it was safe to say that the cable to the master socket had degraded over time. It has now been replaced and I also have a slight increase in speed from 43mbs to 50mbs.

So got there in the end.

Hope this post proves helpful to someone else with similar issues.

Chunky

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.