by DarenG Investigator
Investigator

Help: New EE SmartHub won't connect to any of my wired connections.

I have just moved over to EE broadband with an EE Smart Hub router.

Broadband internet is connected fine. I can connect with wi-fi on any device and have internet connection without issue.

However, none of my wired connections can get identified on the network. They all identify as "unidentified". My Sky Q box and main PC report that they can obtain an IP address. When I look in the router web manager, it reports that for all my many wired connections the IP address is 0.0.0.0 (static).

In a device page, if I try to turn "always use this IP address" from off to on so that I can set an IP address myself, it doesn't let me turn it on. I have tried this with a wi-fi connected device and no issues with changing and saving this setting.

I have DHCP enabled and authoritative DHCP on.

I attach some photos below. 

Effectively it seems that the wired devices are stuck on IP 0.0.0.0 and I can't find any way to change this. 

Help please!!!!

thank you 

Dareng

2019-12-12 (1).png2019-12-12.png

If I try to change the Hub setting for assigning IP addresses from 

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Help: New EE SmartHub won't connect to any of my wired connections.

The router believes that all your wired devices for some reason are setting their own IPs as 0.0.0.0, hence Static.

Take your PC. Please show me Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections / Ethernet / Properties / IPv4 Properties.

Also the ipconfig /all output.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by DarenG Investigator
Investigator

Hi

Thanks for your response.

Yes, all wired connections are on 0.0.0.0 static. Therefore presume problem is with my router, rather than every wired device!

I will attach photos from my main pc in next post...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I eagerly await them.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by DarenG Investigator
Investigator

WIN_20191213_20_06_44_Pro.jpg

by DarenG Investigator
Investigator

Photos won't upload!

So:

Troubleshooting reveals:

Ethernet does not have a valid IP address - Not fixed

Ethernet properties:

Physical Address: BC-5F-F4-35-6A-73

DHCP Enabled: Yes

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address: 169.254.169.3

IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

IPv4 Default Gateway: [blank]

IPv4 DNS Server: [blank]

IPv4 WINS Server: [blank]

Connection: Ethernet

Access Type: No internet access 

IPv4 Connectivity: No Network Access

IPv6 Connectivity: No internet Access 

Media State: Enabled 

Speed: 100.0 Mbps 

by DarenG Investigator
Investigator

ipconfig /all

Host Name,...…………… DG-Main-PC

Primary Dns Suffix...…………….:

IP Routing Enabled...…………:No

WINS Proxy Enabled...………:No

Ethernet adaptor Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix.:

[other info confirms details provided]  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Not quite the Network Connections I was after. It shows what's wrong but not why. Can you get to this IPv4 Properties?

Capture.JPG

I gave you 1 route to it earlier. Another might be:

From Internet icon in Notificarion bar/ Network & Internet Settings/ Change Adapter Options/ Ethernet/ Properties /IPv4 Properties.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

This is how a non-static PC connecting to the EE SH over Ethernet should look:

Capture2.JPG

Did you check your cables & connectors as the Troubleshooter you used advised?

by DarenG Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for your help.

Ultimately, as every wired device in my home was stuck on 0.0.0.0 I decided the hub must be the problem. I have reset the router and started again with setting everything up and it is now behaving itself. Very bizarre.

Thanks again for responding and your efforts to assist.

Kind regards

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.