by Gpb79 Investigator
Investigator

Help... I’m running a second EE router off the LAN port on my second router.

I Just wondering if anyone can help me. 

I had been running two bright boxes version 2 together. One by my main BT socket and the second one connected to the LAN port on the second bright box. I had to alter a few settings on the second one but all was good and signal was much improved. 

Anyway i have today received the new Smart hub, I have connected it up and the second bright box upstairs is still working. If I was to buy an additional smart box, would I be able to configure this one to make it the additional hub upstairs?

Any help greatly appreciated 

gpb

8 REPLIES
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Help... I’m running a second EE router off the LAN port on my second router.

Why bother if the current setup is still working? It won't give you anything extra.

The EE SH is functionally weaker than the Brightbox. It will depend on what changes you had to make to the 2nd Brightbox whether you'll be able to duplicate them on the SH  

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Gpb79 Investigator
Investigator

Re: Help... I’m running a second EE router off the LAN port on my second router.

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping to just use the smart box for the extra features - like the time limit for certain devices. 

I also thought the smart box disterbuted stronger Wi-Fi, which I hoped would clear the odd dead spot I still have. 

But  thanks for your reply. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Are you running the 2nd Brightbox in Routing or Bridging mode? 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

The Brightbox already has time-limited Access Control of devices. As I say the SH is functionally weaker but this is 1 of the few extended functions that it does have, matched by the Brightbox. It may have slightly stronger WiFi but this is its only redeeming feature  

by Gpb79 Investigator
Investigator

Hello, thank you for your reply again. I have the routers in bridging mode - I didn’t appreciate that the BB2 had the time limited function! How do I enable this? 

Just out of curiosity why have EE changed to the Smart box if it isn’t any different really?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, I have run 2 Brightboxes with the Secondary 1 in Bridging mode but I think it even better & easier to have it in Routing mode. You won't get these modes with the SH.

For time-limited control in the Brightbox set up:

1. Some Advanced / Firewall / Schedule Rule(s) followed by
  2. Some Advanced / Firewall / Access Control(s) based on the Schedule Rule(s).

My guess is that it was dictated by their masters, BT. The EE SH is a badge-engineered BT SH 6B.

by Gpb79 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the reply, are you not able to alter the settings on the smart hub?

why is it easier to have it in the routing mode? What advantages are there? 

Thanks 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The SH just doesn't have the equivalent of those settings.

Less to change, spreads the routing load over both routers, better coverage.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.