by Frank74
Explorer

Has anybody had email from Sam knows about Broadband speeds check

I have received email from Sam Knows suggesting EE are cooperating with project by them to improve Broadband speeds information by use of a white box connected to Wi Fi router. Is this a Scam or has anybody else received such a request to participate

Thanks.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Has anybody had email from Sam knows about Broadband speeds check

@Frank74: Samknows has been giving these Whiteboxes to individual users for years. You can apply for one yourself at Register your interest .

Not aware that EE are involved in their project, but wouldn't be surprised if they have as Samknows says "We've teamed up with hundreds of ISPs around the world to help you find out what's really going on with your Internet.".

Samknows are well-trusted within the BB community at large (outside this microcosm Smiley Wink) & have been for years.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
5 REPLIES 5
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi,

Even if it was legitimately from EE, I would never install a box that could potentially intercept my data to the internet. 

W

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@Frank74: Samknows has been giving these Whiteboxes to individual users for years. You can apply for one yourself at Register your interest .

Not aware that EE are involved in their project, but wouldn't be surprised if they have as Samknows says "We've teamed up with hundreds of ISPs around the world to help you find out what's really going on with your Internet.".

Samknows are well-trusted within the BB community at large (outside this microcosm Smiley Wink) & have been for years.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@winston, I have Samknows and have no problems with it, it just keeps an eye on how your broadband is working and can give feedback, if necessary, to your ISP. If not connected for a while, you will receive an email informing you, that there is no broadband, but only after a while of no connection. If it helps to make sure that broadband is working well in my area, then I see that as a good thing and have had it for several years now.

by Frank74
Explorer

Thsnks for that. Its helpful to know its not a Scam.Being a silver surfer I need all the help I can get. Thanks again. 

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

i've been using sam knows for a while and find it helpful, you get monthly reports on speed and response times. comes in handy when isp's say nothing wrong with line even though you've dropped well below the guaranteed speed (I had this with BT but they refused to do anything, so left and joined another ISP who had issues resolved within 48 hours)

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.