by Nick_D Contributor
Contributor

Had a broadband problem since 9 January

An ongoing sorry saga that culminated in 4 Open Reach Engineer visits to the property, countless Engineer visits to the Exchange and a seemingly constant battle with the Executive Complaints Dept.

My ADSL BB service (previously circa 7MB download) was either non-existent or patchy until a few weeks ago when that seemed to be fixed (download speed of 5.7MB at my PC) , but a problem with my landline then occurred.

That was fixed, and about a week ago I agreed resolution of my complaint with the Exec Complaints person as my download speed had been constant for a week or so.

Later that day, I noticed my BB speed had dropped to 1MB and since then has dropped to 0.1MB.  

Resetting the router puts me back up to 5.7MB. I have a seemingly constant speed to the hub/router of 6.65MB but that is not being reflected in speed tests on my PC. PC has a wireless connection,  and historically drops off between .5MB and .75MB between router and PC. I am worried that having to constantly reset the router will flag up a problem with Openreach's Line Management System, but I am perplexed as to why this situation occurs. I have tried to raise this with my Executive Complaints Contact but to no avail.

Any ideas?

18 REPLIES 18
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Had a broadband problem since 9 January

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Nick_D Contributor
Contributor

Hi XRaySpex,

thanks for the prompt reply. Hopefully below is the info you requested.

DSL Status
This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Fibre/Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.
Status
Configured Current
Line Status -- UP
Link Type -- Interleaved Path
Operation Mode Automatic G.992.5 (ADSL2+)
Data Rate Information
Upstream 446 (Kbps)
Downstream 6650 (Kbps)
Defect/Failure Indication
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 20.8 (dB) 10.1 (dB)
Line Attenuation 20.7 (dB) 41.5 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 11.8 (dBm) 20.3 (dBm)
Fast Path FEC Correction -- --
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 846773389 12
Fast Path CRC Error -- --
Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 1907460
Loss of Signal Defect 0 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR -- --
Interleaved Path HEC Error 12 627285
Error Seconds 71406 16
Statistics
Received Data 26393283 (Kbits)
Transmitted Data 1394463 (Kbits)

Speed Test Results Page:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1552576946835204955

Exchange:
https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMKIRKL

Cheers,

Nick

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The BB is running about 20% slow, It has a lotta FEC Corrections but I can't put them into context without the System Uptime.

The speedtest is v. bad. Was it done wired?

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Nick_D Contributor
Contributor

Hi XRaySpex, thanks for the response.

Just to confirm that the speedtest was run through a wired connection.

BTW if you are in the EE Techy Dept a chap called Chris was handling this (v well I thought) before I was passed on to Exec Complaints Dept.

Telephone Number NNNNNNNNN on Exchange KIRK LANGLEY is served by Cabinet 3

ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date
Left in JumperObserved SpeedsADSLOther Offerings

Availability Date

Premise environmentStatus

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3.5--2 to 6Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 3.5Up to 0.52 to 6Available---- 
ADSL MaxUp to 2.5--1.5 to 5Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate1 ----Available---- 
Fixed Rate1 ----Available---- 
Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps)6.65     
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps)0.45     
Observed Date2019-03-05     
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapU      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date07-03-2019      
by Grand Master
Grand Master

System Uptime please?

BTw say you can get 6 Meg; I say you could get over 8 Meg.

I don't work for EE. I am a user just like you as are most here.

by Nick_D Contributor
Contributor

Hi XRaySpex,

I had to reset the router this am as my service was virtually non-existent, so the uptime is a matter of minutes (16) since the reset (sorry, but I missed the bit about system uptime yesterday).

Is it worth supplying you with all the stats again or do you need a stats over a longer period to enable analysis?

Cheers,

Nick

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, please, just post the full stats & system uptime as of now & we can work forward from there.

by Nick_D Contributor
Contributor

Hi XraySpex,

thanks for the reply and your patience.

Stats:

Status  Configured CurrentLine StatusLink TypeOperation Mode
--UP
--Interleaved Path
AutomaticG.992.5 (ADSL2+)
Data Rate InformationUpstreamDownstream
448 (Kbps)
6653 (Kbps)
Defect/Failure IndicationOperation Data Upstream DownstreamNoise MarginLine Attenuation
17.5 (dB)11.7 (dB)
20.8 (dB)41.5 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End IndicatorOutput PowerFast Path FEC CorrectionInterleaved Path FEC CorrectionFast Path CRC ErrorInterleaved Path CRC ErrorLoss of Signal DefectFast Path HEC Error STRInterleaved Path HEC ErrorError Seconds
12.0 (dBm)20.4 (dBm)
----
----
----
StatisticsReceived DataTransmitted Data
29035567 (Kbits)
658047 (Kbits)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wired Speed Test Page:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1552656175805506855

NB speed test results are good for about 12 hrs after a router/hub reset when they fall rapidly to 0.1MB - 0.3MB.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number NNNNNNNNNN on Exchange KIRK LANGLEY is served by Cabinet 3

ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date
Left in JumperObserved SpeedsADSLOther Offerings

Availability Date

Premise environmentStatus
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3.5--2 to 6Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 3.5Up to 0.52 to 6Available---- 
ADSL MaxUp to 2.5--1.5 to 5Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate1 ----Available---- 
Fixed Rate1 ----Available---- 
Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps)6.65     
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps)0.45     
Observed Date2019-03-05     
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapU      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date07-03-2019      

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Uptime is: 03:06:09.

KInd Regards,
Nick

by Nick_D Contributor
Contributor

XRaySpex,

that first set of stats came out a bit wonky - plain text version:

Status
Configured Current
Line Status -- UP
Data Rate Information
Upstream 448 (Kbps)
Downstream 6653 (Kbps)
Noise Margin 17.5 (dB) 11.6 (dB)
Line Attenuation 20.8 (dB) 41.5 (dB)

Output Power 12.0 (dBm) 20.4 (dBm)
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 53120658 11
Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 4971
Loss of Signal Defect 0 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error 5 1687
Error Seconds 3801 12
Statistics
Received Data 29188932 (Kbits)
Transmitted Data 686150 (Kbits)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Much better speedtest. Probably falling off due to high FEC Corrections on line.

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

by Nick_D Contributor
Contributor

Hi XRaySpex,

thanks for the reply.

I don'y have that typer of master socket,  have an OpenReach 5c MasterSocket as below:

MasterSocket_opt.jpg

How would I carry out the tests using this socket type?

No extensions in house or any other wires coming from Master Socket. 

Cheers,

Nick

by Nick_D Contributor
Contributor

MasterSocket_opt.jpgMaster Socket

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Follow Linebox NTE5C User instructions - Openreach

by Nick_D Contributor
Contributor

Quiet Test was clear as a bell, no noise whatsoever.

Plugged inti test socket via filter shows the following:

System Uptime is: 00:40:28

Status
Configured Current
Line Status -- UP
Data Rate Information
Upstream 448 (Kbps)
Downstream 6653 (Kbps)
Noise Margin 20.7 (dB) 11.6 (dB)
Line Attenuation 20.8 (dB) 41.5 (dB)

Output Power 12.0 (dBm) 20.3 (dBm)
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 333404 0
Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 6
Loss of Signal Defect 2 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 2
Error Seconds 314 1
Statistics
Received Data 7636 (Kbits)
Transmitted Data 511 (Kbits)

Speed Test Page
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1552732151423185355

Not being a comms techie could you give me an idea as to why, after a reset of the router my line is fine but after 12 hrs speed tests (such as Google's BB speed test facility) show a  deterioration to <.5MB while my router is showing as receiving 6.65MB?

Cheers,

Nick

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, something's causing those high FEC Corrections & I would have expected as a result to hear noise from the QLT. But no!

Is it only speedtests that exhibit this deterioration? What about ordinary browsing & other activities? When the Google speedtest shows slow does the TBB speedtest confirm this?

Run it from the test socket for a coupla days w/out touching it & then report back full router stats, Uptime and a wired & wireless TBB speedtest.

by Nick_D Contributor
Contributor

Thanks XRaySpex,

I'll try that.

Cheers,

Nick

by Nick_D Contributor
Contributor

XRaySpex,

I think either EE or OpenReach have pressed the right button as my speed has gone back to normal since last weekend.

So thankyou very much for your time, patience and expertise, it's reassuring to know that there are experts out there willing to help.

Cheers,

Nick 

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.