Highlighted
by djd
Explorer

Guest Network on EE Smart Hun

There seems to be no means to create a Guest Wifi network on my new EE Smart Hub. I used one on my previous BrightBox 1 router, to give visitors internet access without access to other devices in the home. They used a separate SSID and password, and were allocated a different IP private network to the primary network by the router.

I raised this with EE's Helpdesk, but the agent I spoke to did not even know what a Guest network was, and was not able assist.

Does anyone else have this requirement ? It surely can be done in a Firmware update.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Guest Network on EE Smart Hun

That's right! There is no facility for Guests networks on the EE SH unlike the Brightboxes with their VLANs & multiple SSIDs. The EE SH is functionally much weaker than the Brightboxes in nearly every way.

I use a Guest network & I satisfy it by using a Brightbox 2.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
2 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

That's right! There is no facility for Guests networks on the EE SH unlike the Brightboxes with their VLANs & multiple SSIDs. The EE SH is functionally much weaker than the Brightboxes in nearly every way.

I use a Guest network & I satisfy it by using a Brightbox 2.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by djd
Explorer

Appreciate the quick response, thanks. It's a sad omission from the SH firmware.

I could reintroduce a Fibre modem to my setup and revert to using Brightbox 1, modified for Fibre operation, or use both routers to provide a private network behind the SH, but I'd prefer to have just one box to provide broadband.

Come on EE, improve it !

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.