Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Gfast speed / wifi

Hello,

I'm about 5 months into my agreement and have recently switched from a 3rd party router (to link vr900 v2) back to the EE smart hub. Reason for doing so is that tp link don't seem to be providing firmware updates or security patches for the router any more.

Since doing so after about a week I've started having wifi issues on 5ghz - speeds are slow and not steady - I'm getting anywhere from 150mb to 260mb - previously I was getting about 290mb and am on an up to 300mb line (was syncing at 330mb). In relation to the minimum speed guarantee 303.3 is this based on sync or throughput? 

I've done a speed test wired 294mb and have tried changing the wifi channel and ensuring that no other devices are connecting. Still getting the slower and unsteady wifi with an increased ping from c5 to c8.

Is there anything else i can try? Is it possible that one or more of the antennas is playing up? 

Cheers 

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Gfast speed / wifi

All speeds quoted by ISPs & BT are sync speeds, not speedtests results. Trouble is that they can't be seen from the locked G.Fast modem. Yet you seem to be able to?

It's the sync speed that EE/OR are supplying you with, but they have no control of the rest of the Net.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hello, thanks for the reply - I can't see the specs that's just from when openreach ran their set up tests and said I was syncing at 330/50 

Cheers 

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I’m on fibre max 2 as well. I’ve got full sync speeds but the max speeds I can ever get is 294 😭 you can the sync speeds by ringing up CS 

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Mainly the wifi issue which is causing problems - on multiple devices and with only 1 connected - usual fixes - trying to work out if the router is broken as there are other threads with some of the antennas breaking. Thought CS might be able to help on here - it's not exactly the cheapest service (even though they have put the price down since I signed up)

Highlighted
by Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Is there any different between 2.4 g& 5g?

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Yeah slower on 2.4ghz - max out at c95mb - think that's just the limitations of the band. Faster but inconsistent in 5ghz anywhere from 150mb to 230mb - drastically slowed in the last week or so - used to be c290 (so only about 5mb slower than wired) - also getting a higher ping and more jitter - feels like something wrong with the router 

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

As we can't see your sync speeds let's see a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

sorry about the delay - please see the link below; 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1582802519880094255

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Doesn't seem close to a 330 Meg sync speed from which I'd expect at least 310 Meg throughput.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.