Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Flashing Orange Internet Light

Hi,

We've just been automatically upgraded to Bright Box as our old one blew up in the middle of a thunderstorm. The new one arrived, we had the email to say we were live, so I've set it up and all lights are been receipt for a flashing orange next to Internet. I've been fishing round these forums for a solution but it's all double Dutch to me.

One person said this is a problem between EE and BT at the green box up the road. Anyone else have any idea?

Thanks!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Flashing Orange Internet Light

You are fully connected to BB but you have not passed authentication by EE to go onto the Net. You should be seeing "PPP: CHAP authentication failed" msgs in the System Log.

Are you sure you have your BB Username & pwd correct?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
by Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Sorry this not much help have you checked the wires as before the plug you use to go into router to get the internet I accidentally put it in an ethernet port before and waited an hour and unplugged and re plugged it and it started working lol of done all that might be best to call ee 

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the help, but yeah, checked all the cables. Phone line works. Log in to the ee admin screen and everything looks good except 'internet state' which is disconnected. 

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Dont have clue then could you try the reset button with a pin to see if that would help think best to call but others on here may be more help

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

It could well have the makings of a problem between EE and BT but much further afield than the cab up the road.

What does it say after you log into the router:

• For a BrightBox: in the Internet section on the initial Status page or
  • For a Smart Hub: on the Advanced Settings / Broadband / Internet page?

Obscure your names & numbers in the BB Username but post the 1st 2 parts of the IP addy. This will tell us at which stage EE have got to.

Does the phone work? Do you get a dial tone? Does it announce your correct no. when you dial 1470 17070?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the reply. Phone gives correct number when dialling 1470 17070. Here's the rest of it:

Broadband TypeADSL
Broadband StateConnected
Internet StateDisconnected
Time Connected00:00:00
Downstream Rate8.51 Mbps
Upstream Rate1.28 Mbps
IP Address0.0
Broadband Username *******@fs

Thanks!

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

You are fully connected to BB but you have not passed authentication by EE to go onto the Net. You should be seeing "PPP: CHAP authentication failed" msgs in the System Log.

Are you sure you have your BB Username & pwd correct?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

That was it! Not sure what password we had in there but it wasn't the right one. Easy when you know how, I guess. Stunning work, thank you so much!!!

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Glad it got fixed for you

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hi folks,

7 weeks after setting up our new BB2 router (as documented above), we started getting a flashing orange light again. Nothing physical had changed in the set up, and we hadnt touched any settings. Switched the router on/off, checked all the cables. No joy. Went back over this post and it turned out to be the same problem as we originally had - the BB password was wrong (despite its not charging anything). Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else ever has this trouble.

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for sharing your solution @Garth3 🙂

James

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

The same thing happened again. For some reason every couple of weeks we get a flashing orange internet light and we need to log in to the admin screen to re-enter the password. It's an instant fix, bit no clue why it keeps happening.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Try factory resetting the router & putting your BB Username & pwd in manually.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.