by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: Fibre plus no faster than Fibre

EE will also try to say that as it is a fibre upgrade then Openreach need to send an engineer to the cabinet and that can take days... this, as you know, is wrong, but EE phone support know nothing and assume a tariff lift is the same as a ADSL to VDSL upgrade and will tell you anything to explain the delay.  You'll complain but you'll be lucky for EE to actually do anything for 2 weeks.

by JaniceHobbs Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks Paul... I do use a "better" router... TP Link Archer VR200         after changing to that i never had one connection drop.  The BB2 was useless.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@JaniceHobbs wrote:

Thanks Paul... I do use a "better" router... TP Link Archer VR200         after changing to that i never had one connection drop.  The BB2 was useless.

Super. Sounds like you are well prepared at your end... you just need EE to do their stuff first!

Established Contributor

Well this fourth guy is admitting that although it SAYS its been done he can see the figures and it doesnt look like anything has changed..... so that is one step forward at least.

I am on hold again!!.........

I told him there wasnt any point checking my line as it was done yesterday and that I did it last night with two different routers using the test socket and the speed was the same.

I said that as there wasnt anything that needed to be done physically with wires or cabinet boxes and that it was just a 40 cap being taken off,... who was the person who actually does that... and why cant it be done straight away if it only takes 2 minutes (using the info I have gleaned from you folk! 🙂  

I dont seem to be getting a particularly straight answer as to who does it and why 3 people hadnt seen that it wasnt done.. but he has gone off to find out.... fingers crossed.

Established Contributor

SH*T         he came back and said it looks like you cant receive Plus!      I said thats stupid because the availablility check says i can... and the BT speed test said we are capable of 63.         he agreed he had seen that speed.   

TBH he really didnt know.  He was agreeing with me that it should but was trying to say what his manager has told him.

He will ring me back after 2 while trying to sort it out today.

Im not holding my breath.  Grrrr

by Profile closed
Not applicable

A fibre speed re-grade is indeed done remotely by BT OpenReach and requires no engineer visit to your home, exchange or fibre cab.

Most other ISP's (apart from EE it seems) can also process a fibre speed regrade order over-night in less than 24 hours as well.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@JaniceHobbs wrote:

SH*T         he came back and said it looks like you cant receive Plus!      I said thats stupid because the availablility check says i can... and the BT speed test said we are capable of 63.         he agreed he had seen that speed.   

Mmm. Sounds like you are still getting "don't know what we are talking about" signals.  He has confirmed the upgrade has not been done. Presumably because they had not processed it properly (same as with me).    If the error was because "you can't get Plus" then surely that would have been communicated back to you last week?     

I don't understand the logic of "can't get plus".   It is a tariff, it is not a technical thing, it is merely a flag to say don't cap this line.   Even if your line could only support 10megs they can still uncap it (but it would have no effect on speed).   

The only other reason may be that they have a marketing rule in their system that won't allow sales people to sell you Plus if it is not going to improve your speed by a significant amount.. a compliance thing.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I think you will get nearer the 50meg mark. I would not focus on the unrealistic 63.

Established Contributor

I agree Paul... im not expecting to get 63 but just that my line can go up to that.  I am expecting about 55ish in reality?

Im getting really confused now.       

EE broadband page says i can get either ADSL 17mb or Fibre 48mb.

yet when I click the info button under the Fibre 48... it says...

WHAT SPEEDS CAN I GET?

Based on your address:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Fibre broadband: 48 Mb/sec download, 10.1 Mb/sec upload.

We estimate that your line can support download speeds of between 31.7 Mb/sec and 63.6 Mb/sec, and upload speeds of between 6 Mb/sec and 15.6 Mb/sec.

If you select a Fibre 38mb package, your broadband speed will be capped to 38Mb/sec

So if my line can support 63.... does that mean that the whole village cant get High Speed?         On the cabinet box is a sticker saying "High Speed Broadband is here".... im assuming thats a marketing ploy?

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

High speed is classed ss 24Megs and above (or 15 megs depending on who is hyping).

These estimates are (in my view) correct - about 50.   And rightly so, if capped at 40, you will in practice get around 38.  When they unlock your cap you will lift to around 50.

Parts of the village will get better or worse than that depending on location relative to cab. This all seems fine.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Sounds like they are still mesing you around. Its a shame that none of the EE reps on here can't step in and sort this out for you.

The fact that your line is capable of up to 63Mbps means that there is no reason for you not to get the upgrade, that said, I suspect you won't see much improvement in real life usage, but only you can say if its worth the extra £5. Then again, I guess you can also move back after a month, though after this experience, would you want to go through this level of incompetance again.

As has already been said, this is a simpleupgrade, no need for an engineer to the cabinet, EE need to put an order into their suppliers, BT Wholesale, who in turn change the product thereby removing the 40Mbps cap.

When you look at your My EE page, what does it say in your orders section?

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

PS, your router has already said what the max speeds you will get, your max attainable speeds in your earlier pots, 51Mbps download and 10 upload.

Established Contributor

@Mustrum    my orders say  Ready to use... as it has said since the 17th... D DAY!

I have just checked all my neighbours' houses on the EE availablity and apart from one which is 17mb they all say 65mb. 

SOME of them say they will need a new line... but not all.

I tried to put my house name in to see if I would need a new line but it says  "Sorry, Your order is already in the registration system"  

They didnt mention anything about a new line when I ordered ... just to watch my speeds after the connection date.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

The estimated speeds are dependant on the distance from the cabinet, and the state of your internal wiring. When Fiber was first installed, Openreach engineers would come out and fit a filtered master socket and openreach modem. This ensured your internal wiring would not ipact your speeds. More recently providers have just sent out a new router and got people to self install. 

The fact that your router is saying your max attainable speed is 51Mbps suggests that either your line, or your internal wiring could be improved if you wants to get the 63/65Mbps.

Established Contributor

Thank you.  Id be happy with 50 something.   but it shows that we are capable of fibre plus then.  Im really not thinking of achieving 60 something... just to see whether Fibre Plus is around the area  which it obviously is.  The cabinet box is only at the top of the hill... about 100 yards away.   

We are private tennants so wont bother having the line upgraded.. but at least I know we are still in the running for Fibre and I must persist at EE to get it sorted.

thanks again.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The maximum estimated speed is rarely attainable and that wide variance in the BT estimate is to cover issues from DP/pole/manhole to the home, and the state of the copper to the cabinet.  At speeds above 40megs you are not going to see practical differences of +or- 10megs.   Your films will download well and you won't see a difference.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@JaniceHobbs wrote:

Thank you.  Id be happy with 50 something.   but it shows that we are capable of fibre plus then.  Im really not thinking of achieving 60 something... just to see whether Fibre Plus is around the area  which it obviously is.  The cabinet box is only at the top of the hill... about 100 yards away.   

We are private tennants so wont bother having the line upgraded.. but at least I know we are still in the running for Fibre and I must persist at EE to get it sorted.

thanks again.

I'm not sure what line upgrading is. Can you explain?  BT never put in new copper.  Maybe they are offering new fibre to the Home - but that usually costs you a lot of money and BT don't offer it in practice.  100 yards distance will mean you should get >65megs... depending on state of the copper... I think looking at your stats you are possibly further than 100 yards.

Just to clarify - you will be currently on Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) which is actually copper from cab. to home (so a marketing lie in calling it fibre).     

Established Contributor

@Paulosb wrote:

I'm not sure what line upgrading is. Can you explain? 

Neither am I Paul!   Just that when I hceck my neighbouring houses availability some of them say they may need a new line.

my Fibre deal has now expired bringing it back up go the full amount.  FIbre Plus with deal takes it lower for another 18 months so I will be happy with an extra 10 Mbps at the lower price!

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

OK... ignore the line upgrading info. That is merely small print for those 0.1% of people in a home without a line.  In your neighbourhood everyone can get superfast within 2km of that cabinet.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

BT currently have a special offer (which runs out next week) where they are offering a free speed boost on their standard fibre package to their fastest fibre speeds:

BT.jpeg

(those prices include line rental and standard weekend calls)

Even if you don't want to switch to BT, you can still use this as leverage with other fibre providers to negotiate a discount.  I've just done this with my exisitng fibre package with Sky.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.