Highlighted
by
Established Contributor

Fibre plus no faster than Fibre

[ Edited ]

I have been on EE Fibre for 18 months and router says max of the line is 48mbps...I have always been getting 35ish so that was fine.

Upgraded to Fibre Plus 2 weeks ago and today's the day!  Email said it is ready for use and has gone live.    I've rung twice and they said yes it definitely is.

Restarted router which now says max of the line is 58mbps which is what I expected but actual current speed is still around 35ish.  

If it it has been changed at the cabinet box and is now showing in the router settings as being able to handle up to 58 now.......why isn't it?      I expected around 45 or so at least.

is there a reason why the speed hasn't changed if the work has been done?.

PS...I'm not using brghtbox2 router as had trouble with it dropping connections....been using TP Link Archer VR200 for months with no drops.       Do I need to change any settings now in Fibre Plus?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
Grand Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author JaniceHobbs
‎23-05-2017 08:07 AM

Re: Fibre plus no faster than Fibre

Previously we've talked about the downstream & its 40 Meg cap. Whatever we said about that applies equally to the upstream & its 10 Meg cap. You were getting 8.5 Meg on ordinary Fibre. Remove the non-constraining 10 Meg cap & you will still get 8.5 Meg on Fibre Plus.

You could well be on an Impacted line; speeds fit well with that.

Forget Max Rates. You wouldn't want to be on them even if you could. You'd be falling all over the place,

The upshot is that you haven't been on Fibre Plus from last Weds till today & only by keeping on at EE have you now got it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
107 REPLIES
by
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you were on ordinary fibre the router cannot say that the max. speed is 48 Meg. It's capped at 40 Meg.

What router have you?

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats. For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page. Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

4. What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
Grand Master

You need not change any settings when moving from Fibre to Fibre Plus on any router.

by
Established Contributor

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 63.6 48 15.6 10.1 40.3 Available -- -- -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 50.6 31.7 13.1 6 25 Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 10 to 19.5 Available -- -- -- --
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17 Up to 1.5 10 to 19.5 Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available -- -- -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --
Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --
Premise environment

Status

• Bridge Tap N
by
Established Contributor

[ Edited ]

this was from when I was on Fibre.... 2 weeks ago. ... its shows max downstream as 47.3

now today it reads 51..  but the current is still 39998

Annex Type:

Upstream

Downstream

Current Rate(kbps)

Max Rate(kbps)

SNR Margin(dB)

Line Attenuation(dB)

Errors(pkts    )6    53955

by
Established Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hmmm   Fibre said 47351 max... Fibre Plus says 51721 max.  not a lot of difference really.  Hardly seems it was worth upgrading.

Line Status:
DSL Modulation Type:
Annex Type:

Upstream Downstream Current Rate(kbps) 8496 39998

Max Rate(kbps) 10597 51721

SNR Margin(dB) 7.1 10.6

Line Attenuation(dB) 25.9 19.2

Errors(pkts) 0 55005

by
Established Contributor

connected to Hatfield Broad Oak exchange.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1495029858873487955

by
EE Community Support Team

[ Edited ]

Any ideas on this one @XRaySpeX?

Cheers

Lee

by
Grand Master

The Max Rate shown by all routers is a theoretical max. & not achievable in practice. It would be the speed when the connection is teetering on the edge of instability & would be unusable at that speed. I tend to ignore it & I suggest you do. Concentrate on the actual sync speeds.

As you were getting 40 Meg on Fibre you should get more on Fibre Plus & the BT Checker suggests you're likely to get up to 63 Meg Down & 15 Meg up.

Your current stats show that you haven't yet been switched to Fibre Plus. You need to chase EE to fix it.

by

Thanks @XRaySpeX

Cheers

Lee

by
Established Contributor

Thank you so much for your help.     When I rung EE they told me to leave it a couple of days and then ring again.  

Thanks again.

Janice 

by

Let us know the outcome @JaniceHobbs

Many thanks,

Lee

by
Grand Master

Umm! Is all I can say.

by
Established Contributor

Still 37mbps  this morning so I rung them again.    He did tests and said it has def been enabled.  My line is working fine etc.      I'm to give it the ten day stablilization period.

i thought it important that I told him the initial Brightbox2 had been dropping connections 81 months ago so I bought a TP Link Archer VR200 which has never dropped connection since I got it.

Obviously he said there are some tests they can't complete unless I have the BB2 on, so to give it two days with TP Link....then try BB2....if no joy then ring back with BB2 connected.

Watch this space!

by
Grand Master

[ Edited ]

Yes, it'll be interesting to see the stats from a BB2.

Try plugging your router into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Post the router stats when plugged into test socket.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

by
Established Contributor

I gave the BB2 a quick try earlier just to see if there was a miraculous change!    It still gave around 36 with upload of 8.  

When they did the tests this morning they said my landline tested fine.    I would think that is true or I wouldn't have had such relatively good speeds with the ordinary Fibre....although I will do what you suggested this evening.    

Im expecting somewhere around 55mbps ....is that realistic?  

by

Hi @JaniceHobbs

If you could pop the stats on that @XRaySpeX has mentioned he may be able to check your line out.

Many thanks,

Lee

by
Skilled Contributor

The important setting mentioned above are :

Upstream Downstream Current Rate(kbps) 8496 39998

Until the Downstreem rate changes you are still on the normal fibre.

If this has changed, then it may be the devices you are testing speeds that could be a problem.

by
Grand Master

@Mustrum: The OP is reading the router sync speeds & that has already been pointed out to her.

by
Established Contributor

Thank you.     Yes, that figure is what I am waiting to see change.     

I am checking on an iMac joined to the router by a short Ethernet cable.  

3998 is what the router says... and 3600/3700 is what I'm getting on the iMac with

Ookla. 

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.