by ukgebe Contributor
Contributor

Fibre broadband speed help

Hi there, hoping someone can help me see if I should be getting better speeds on my fibre broadband. When I signed up the below were the estimates and at the moment I get around 19 down and 2 up, but it's the 2 up that I would love to improve as my wife is a photographer and when she uploads photos internet feels pretty close to dial up speed and it takes forever to upload her stuff.

Your Estimated Download Speeds: 25 - 50.5 Mb/sec

Your Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 18 Mb/sec

Your Estimated Upload Speeds: 5.2 - 11.7 Mb/sec

I've followed XRaySpeX's very helpful "Need help with your home broadband speed or connection?" post

My master socket is split with two sockets and the similar to the middle one in this pic borrowed from BT's site.

Here is my Full router stats -https://www.dropbox.com/s/8utcbys3tpjxjj1/BB_DSL_Status.JPG?dl=0

DSL Status
Status   Configured Current Line Status -- UP Link Type -- Fast Path Operation Mode Automatic G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Data Rate Information Upstream 2070 (Kbps) Downstream 19408 (Kbps)
Defect/Failure Indication Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 6.1 (dB) 6.3 (dB) Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 30.4 (dB)
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator Output Power 0.1 (dBm) 12.6 (dBm) Fast Path FEC Correction 1958 81 Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- -- Fast Path CRC Error 0 0 Interleaved Path CRC Error -- -- Loss of Signal Defect 2 0 Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 0 Interleaved Path HEC Error -- -- Error Seconds 26 1097
Statistics Received Data 11901864 (Kbits) Transmitted Data 690678 (Kbits)

Here is my system uptime details

System Uptime is: 50:43:11
Current Time/Date is: 12:50:43 06 May

Here is a wired speedtest, this was done with wireless disabled and only a laptop connected via ethernet, so no other devices could be skewing the results

I am connected to the Woolwich exchange - https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LSWOO

I also checked my details on www.dslchecker.bt.com and below is what I get and what makes me thing that maybe I should be getting a bit more in both download and upload speed.
BT Broadband Telephone Number xxxxxxxxx on Exchange WOOLWICH is served by Cabinet 3

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low         VDSL Range A (Clean) 50 35.6 11.4 7.5 33.9 Available -- Yes Yes -- VDSL Range B (Impacted) 40.9 25 9.9 5 20 Available -- Yes Yes --

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- -- -- --

ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1.5 to 3.5 Available -- -- -- -- WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 2.5 Up to 0.5 1.5 to 3.5 Available -- -- -- -- ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1 to 3 Available -- -- -- -- WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- -- -- -- Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Appreciate anyones time in looking at this and letting me know what they think.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Fibre broadband speed help

As you are not getting any dial-tone at the test socket, it is likely you have a "one-leg broken" fault (technically "HR Dis"). A landline consists of 2 wires, both of which are need for voice, but only any 1 for BB. Usually when this happens the BB runs slower than usual.

It is likely that the break occurs between you & the exchange, but it needs EE to call out BT Openreach to fix it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
15 REPLIES 15
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Strange! You're not even getting BT's Impacted range estimate, neither Down nor Up.

Are those stats from the text socket?

Which picture on BT site?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by ukgebe Contributor
Contributor

Oops, hadn't realised it stripped out the picture. My socket is like the one in the middle of the pic found here - http://bt.custhelp.com/rnt/rnw/img/enduser/new_setup_3.png and I plug in to the top part for the Brightbox 2 and don't use a microfilter.

That pic is also very small, so here's a quick picture I took showing my master socket - https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvlu7gbsia92tx3/Master_socket.jpg?dl=0

I did unscrew the bottom part to try the test socket there but the brighbox failed to recognise it and the broadband light on the front just remained red. From what I read on BT's site that is correct as it should only work in the top plug.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

To use the test socket you need to also remove the Interstitial plate - see How to access test socket on Openreach master socket

by ukgebe Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help so far XRaySpeX, not sure how I couldn't find that article.

I removed the interstitial plate and connected the brightbox via a microfilter and did the checks again. Sadly it appears to have made no difference. After doing the checks I also rebooted the bright box, and also replaced the microfilter and cable with spare ones and still the same

This is the view of the connection on the master socket - https://www.dropbox.com/s/qt500hoy7y6u37e/Test_socket-Master_socket.jpg?dl=0

DSL Status - https://www.dropbox.com/s/haa1azcct19vpqq/Test_socket-BB_DSL_Status.JPG?dl=0

DSL Status

This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.

Status

Configured

Current

Line Status

--

UP

Link Type

--

Fast Path

Operation Mode

Automatic

G.993.2 (VDSL2)

Data Rate Information

Upstream

1797 (Kbps)

Downstream

18949 (Kbps)

Defect/Failure Indication

Operation Data

Upstream

Downstream

Noise Margin

5.7 (dB)

6.4 (dB)

Line Attenuation

0.0 (dB)

30.4 (dB)

Indicator Name

Near End Indicator

Far End Indicator

Output Power

-0.8 (dBm)

12.6 (dBm)

Fast Path FEC Correction

Interleaved Path FEC Correction

--

--

Fast Path CRC Error

Interleaved Path CRC Error

--

--

Loss of Signal Defect

Fast Path HEC Error STR

Interleaved Path HEC Error

--

--

Error Seconds

Statistics

Received Data

283371 (Kbits)

Transmitted Data

168611 (Kbits)

Thinkbroadband speed test - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1494108143557536855

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Looks like there are wires connected to the back of the removed faceplates. You must have extension phone sockets somewhere in the house, even if not being used. Are they all dead when tested with a handset with those faceplates removed?

by ukgebe Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

So I tested the phones in the extension sockets when the faceplate was removed and itdidn't work. BUT, I'm not sure the phone is working correctly even in the test socket. We haven't used our home phone in year or three, I plugged it out due to the fact we only ever received nuisance calls. I tried both a wireless phone handset and an old cabled phone in the test socket using the micro filter, and I don't get any dial tone. The weird thing is, even though I don't get dial tone, and I can't ring out, when I ring my home number, the wireless handset rings, but I'm never able to answer it. If I answer it I just get the ringing(not dialtone) sound in the handset but it doesn't answer and the call from my mobile still appears to be ringing

Now I am not fussed at all about a working land line or not, but could this be part of why I'm not getting better speeds ? Would it help if I tried removing the cables to the phone extensions ?

by
EE Employee

Hi @ukgebe and welcome to the Community.

It sounds like you may need to give our technical support team a quick call to have this one investigated.

Do let us know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You could remove the cables from the faceplate to the extensions (not at the extension end else you just leave an aerial effect) , but I wonder whether your home is partly starred-wired with some connections going behind the master socket. This would cause issues with the BB.

As you don't seem to have a working handset I would get a cheap corded handset & use it at all extensions to confirm they are absolutely dead when both master faceplates are removed. You don't need filters.

Also check that the phone works properly at the test socket. A non-working landline also causes BB issues.

by ukgebe Contributor
Contributor

Thanks XRaySpeX. I brought a working corded phone with me from work, tested in the test socket and not getting any dial tone on it. I've tried it in all the extensions when the faceplates are off and no dial tone on there either.

I'll give the support team a call and see if they can help with this

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

As you are not getting any dial-tone at the test socket, it is likely you have a "one-leg broken" fault (technically "HR Dis"). A landline consists of 2 wires, both of which are need for voice, but only any 1 for BB. Usually when this happens the BB runs slower than usual.

It is likely that the break occurs between you & the exchange, but it needs EE to call out BT Openreach to fix it.

by ukgebe Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

I rang the EE broadband support team yesterday, they ran a line test and confirmed a fault on the line and they've logged it with openreach to fix.

Hopefully you are right and that it's been running slower due to this.

by
EE Community Support Team

Morning @ukgebe.

Thank you for raising this with us!

Let us know how you get on with this 🙂

Thanks, Leanne.

by ukgebe Contributor
Contributor

Thanks XRaySpeX for the help and guidance, phone line now working again and Brightbox is showing 40down and 10up and I'm getting around that on the thinkbroadband speed test - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1494433128178047555

That's much better than I expected so I am happy !

And thanks EE, I have been impressed with the support I received on this on both the forum and the support line.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & glad it'sorted & back to expected speeds.

by
EE Community Support Team

Great news @ukgebe

Thanks surprise.png

Thank you for the feedback for the community and customer service as this could help other users get the best support!

Because I loved your feedback, I’d love to treat you to dinner on us.

You will have a private message from me on here, I will require some details!

Hope to see you around in the future 🙂

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.