by TheHurf Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Re: Fibre Plus

The one underlined in red - that's the router being crap, yeah?

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/7293bp.jpg[/IMG]

by
EE Employee

Hi @TheHurf 

I'm sure @XRaySpeX will be able to point you in the right direction on his return.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, that doesn't look right.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

I got home, did a factory reset of the router and within 2 minutes of being up (when it let me back in) there were over 37000 FEC connection errors on the Fast Path.

Established Contributor

Managed to source a TP-Link W9980 VDSL router for some testing. Plugged it in and ran the setup. Generated about 23000 errors in the first 5 minutes up; been running for 20 minutes now and the errors stopped occurring after the initial first 5 minutes.

Router is detecting the line can provide up to about 55Mb, so guess it's a waiting game now to see if any more error packets are generated and if the line retrains itself to providing full speed. Hopefully a new BB2 router coming in the next couple days behaves better.

Otherwise I'll be investing in a better router!

Established Contributor

20 hours up on the TP-Link router and I'm getting very few errors:

Upstream Downstream Current Rate (Kbps) 13713 35000 Max Rate (Kbps) 13838 45260 SNR Margin (dB) 6.2 9 Line Attenuation (dB) 24.6 19.7 Errors (Pkts) 35 23654

Though my max rate on downstream has dropped to 45Mb from 54Mb on initial startup.

by
EE Employee

Do keep us up to date on how you get on @TheHurf

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

Not great, sadly. 

Spoke to an EE guy called Dylan yesterday who assured me I was in the queue to recieve a visit from an OpenReach engineer - as his test from yesterday reported a line fault - and he would call me back to book me in. That never happened, so I called EE again.

Another technical support agent had me plug the BB2 back in to run diagnostics, which is fair enough, but when it generated 1.9 million FEC errors in 15 minutes, they had me change the WiFi settings on both 2.4 and 5 GHz channels to 'N' only - claiming it would make things 'go faster'. 

And they ran another line test which yielded no faults. Though the positive is the replacement BB2 has been dispatched and OpenReach are coming tomorrow now. (And I put the TP-Link router back on and after an hour its generated precisely zero fault packets)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The Max Rate is purely theoretical & assumes the line is not profiled at all, mainly that the NM = 0 dB at which point it becomes v. unstable. It will increase as the NM decreases. I bet the NM was lower than 9 dB  on initial startup.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

LOL! WiFi connection influencing router sync speed & error counts! Indeed!

Established Contributor

SNR is currently at 9.9. Last night it dropped to around 8

And yeah, although I followed her instructions, I snorted with disbelief when she said that. And when I countered with the 5GHz band being kinda designed for AC (which the BB2 of course provides) and why would I limit it to N when AC is much faster, she didn't really have a comeback.

Established Contributor

OpenReach engineer came out this very morning, prompt at 8 a.m. Ran a battery of tests on the line - no fault with the line. His diagnostics confirmed the line was delivering 58211 Kbps but was capped at 34998Kbps - and also detected no FEC errors for the duration of time he was here.

He suggested I phoned EE to get them to remove the cap, who're now sending ANOTHER engineer out this coming Monday to do some fiddling - this person presumably has the power to the phone the OR Diagnostic Centre of Excellence to remove the cap on line, assuming no other errors are generated by my TP router or the new BB2 coming today.

It's all very vexing.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @TheHurf

Hope you manage to get to the bottom of this.

Let's see what the other engineer says.

Have a great weekend and I look forward to seeing what happens on Monday.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

Established Contributor

I'd love to get to the bottom of it too - Qube engineer came out on Monday morning to have a poke about. Disconnected an internal slave point (3 feet from the master - new build - don't ask!)

FEC errors seemed to die down, not to zero, but enough for him to be happy and disappear again. Phoned through to EE to get a DLM reset, but was told the fault was still with OR so someone would be in touch. 

After the Qube engineer left, I went away for a few days with the fam, came back today and found the FEC count at roughly half a mllion - and that was from a reset this morning as we'd had a power cut! System had been up roughly 6 hours

Interestingly though, the downstream count had increased from 34998 to 49000 (Kbps) and NM had dropped from 11-point-something to about 6 while I'd been away.

Plugged in the TP Link router (again) left it whirring away while I unpacked and after 20 minutes wandered back and found it had generated about 3 error packets. 

And so the saga continues - the line is perfect, yet the new BB2 is spamming FEC errors

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What are your router stats now?

Established Contributor

Had to put the BB2 back on as I'd only borrowed the TP and I'm going to be phoning EE again tonight - you must have posted as I was making the swap!

System Uptime is: 00:07:59

STATUS   Configured Current Line Status -- UP Link Type -- Fast Path Operation Mode Automatic G.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATION Upstream 15721 (Kbps) Downstream 48992 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 6.1 (dB) 6.4 (dB) Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 19.4 (dB)
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator Output Power 6.8 (dBm) 6.8 (dBm) Fast Path FEC Correction 3160 5 Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- -- Fast Path CRC Error 0 731 Interleaved Path CRC Error -- -- Loss Of Signal Defect 0 0 Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 140 Interleaved Path HEC Error -- -- Error Seconds 2 2

Established Contributor

And after 67 minutes:

STATUS   Configured Current Line Status -- UP Link Type -- Fast Path Operation Mode Automatic G.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATION Upstream 15721 (Kbps) Downstream 48992 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 6.1 (dB) 6.4 (dB) Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 19.4 (dB)
Indicator Name                      Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power                         6.8 (dBm)                 6.8 (dBm)
Fast Path FEC Correction    325933                     60
Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- --
Fast Path CRC Error              0                                 36930
Interleaved Path CRC Error -- --
Loss Of Signal Defect 0 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR      0                                 9381
Interleaved Path HEC Error -- --
Error Seconds                          12                                10
Established Contributor

And after 13 hours, 3.3 million FEC errors 

Established Contributor

Router reconnected itself at about 9.45 this morning, downstream has dropped from 49k to what's below - DLM doing what it's supposed to. Probably on account of the ridiculous amount errors:

DATA RATE INFORMATION Upstream 13922 (Kbps) Downstream 42173 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 6.1 (dB) 6.1 (dB)
Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 19.4 (dB)
Indicator Name
Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 6.8 (dBm) 6.8 (dBm)
Fast Path FEC Correction 1762583         2059
Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- --
Fast Path CRC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path CRC Error -- --
Loss Of Signal Defect 1 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error -- --
Error Seconds 43 84
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.