by TheHurf Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Fibre Plus

Anybody else noticed a reset to their Fibre Plus connection overnight? I was tinkering with my new PC this morning and noticed D/L was a bit slower than normal.

Logged into the router and found my Downstream speed had mysteriously reset itself from 55.14MB to 35.00MB - called up EE Tech Support and they helpfully informed me it had reset itself yesterday?

38 REPLIES 38
by Maestro
Maestro

Re: Fibre Plus

Your fibre connection can and will reset at any time as the DLM (dynamic line management) system runs all the time constantly monitoring your line.  If it starts to detect errors, it will slow your line down to try to reduce those errors.  It will always try and give you the fastest speed it thinks your line is capable of.

Often ISP's also update their router's firmware over-night.  There can also be maintenance on the network over-night as well.  Either the ISP or BT OpenReach will sometimes take parts of their network down for several hours over-night to perform upgrades or other work etc.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

BB can resync itself anytime, particularly on a line that has experienced errors like yours.

If you would like help with your speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the steps and provide the data as requested in the Need Help with Your Home Broadband Speed or Connection? sticky. This will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

STATUS
Configured Current
Line Status -- UP
Link Type -- Fast Path
Operation Mode Automatic G.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATION
Upstream 14325 (Kbps)
Downstream 34998 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 6.1 (dB) 10.9 (dB)
Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 19.5 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 6.8 (dBm) 6.8 (dBm)
Fast Path FEC Correction 3482951 206
Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- --
Fast Path CRC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path CRC Error -- --
Loss Of Signal Defect 0 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error -- --
Error Seconds 0 34

System Uptime is: 05:54:43
Current Time/Date is: 13:56:03 18 Apr

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You're still being affected by millions of FEC errors in a short period, as you were.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Just checking the system log and it's saying that @ 02.12 this morning: PPP:

PPP connection down (FIBRE)

IPCP down

LCP down

Also got the same message(s) from 07.00 this morning as well, with associated resets and restarts on the connection a few seconds later. It's genuinely been fine since the OpenReach engineer installed a filtered front plate.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@TheHurf wrote:

It's genuinely been fine since the OpenReach engineer installed a filtered front plate.

Did you keep an eye on the build-up of FEC errors since then as I believe I suggested you do & did they go away?

Established Contributor

I kept a beady eye on it and they did settle down. I was running speed tests and checks through the weekend and was rampaging through at least 50Mb and getting close to the maximum downstream available at the time. Very pleasing. 

Is it possible the line is stabilising itself again after the two mysterious outages overnight?

EE are calling me back tomorrow to check the speed and whatnot, with a view to sending OpenReach out again. Or cancelling the whole ruddy thing and going back to standard Fibre 😞

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re-syncs aren't mysterious; they're normal as long as they don't occur too often. Basically you have a noisy line.

Time to go round the property with a radio looking for the source of the noise? GIYF.

Established Contributor

First thing I can think of is a business line that comes into the property. Set up years ago by my wife's employers. That had both voice and BB, but in a recent cost-cutting move the LA she works for has terminated the BB contract and only left the voice. 

Established Contributor

Took the filtered frontplate off on my lunch break and just plugged straight into the test socket. Checked it again about 5 hours later, when I got home. No difference - still 35. (I know 5 hours isn`t a massive window of time, but with a 3-year old running around, leaving the telephone circuit exposed/dangling off the wall, is not advisable!)

The problem I had before was the line delivering 55Mb on the downstream but stalling at the socket and going no faster than 35Mb. This time, the line just thinks its 35Mb and won`t budge

by Grand Master
Grand Master

But what about the build-up of FEC errors while at the test socket? I keep telling you that's what you've got to keep your eye on, not the speed, until they go away. The speed won't return until the DLM sees your line is relatively error-free.

Just forget the speed for now & get rid of the errors.

Established Contributor

Without the front plate, they were significantly less. Like, in the same period of time, 60% less. Which does suggest the front plate is buggered?

EE are phoning in the morning, to arrange an engineer. Hopefully the OpenReach fellow will provide a fully-functioning front plate to help get this bloody issue sorted and also check the noise issue - my configuration at home hasn`t changed since Fibre Plus went active, bar a new PC.

But, when I get 5 minutes peace I`ll do the radio check as well.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, I've gone back to an ordinary single-socket phone NTE5 + dangly filter since BT OR fitted a duff filtered faceplate.

Established Contributor

Out of curiosity, should Fast Path FEC correction be zero, or would you expect something, however small the figure?

Established Contributor

Interesting you say that about the front plate. Thinking about what you said, I just switched back to the original socket, putting the OR plate to one side and straight away my upstream dropped to less than 10Mb.

Very interesting - also the noise on the downstream dropped to 8.8 dB as opposed to around 11.6 with the plate on. 

Seems like with my line here I just can`t win!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Out of curiosity, how many routers have you had since we started discussing this about 3 weeks ago? Just the 1?

Established Contributor

Yup - just the one. No changes. Bright Box 2.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@TheHurf: Sorry, I fear I've been misleading you throughout this investigation :(.

I was so bogged down in seeing the high count of FEC Corrections that I overlooked the fact that this was on Fast Path. Forward Error Correction techniques are just not employed on Fast Path & so the count should always be 0, They come in with Interleaved Path & part of the reason why Interleaved is a bit slower than Fast Path.

That must mean your router is faulty as it should never show any FEC Corrections whilst on Fast Path.

What you could do to check this is to reboot the router & immediately it syncs up to take and post the router stats, checking that it's on Fast Path & whether the FEC Corrections are > 0.

You will need to ask EE for a replacement router.

Established Contributor

Just waiting for Remote Desktop to come up and I'll check the stats for you - trying to get a screen grab.

But, from memory last night, when I rebooted the BB2 after farting about with something - I noticed the Fast Path FEC Errors as being 20,000-something straight away as soon as it booted up.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.