by Jackarii Investigator
Investigator

Fibre Optic speed is very slow.

We upgraded to the fibre optic package months ago but we are experiencing extremely slow speeds - Download/Upload speed is roughly 2MP/s - Can anyone help please?

Backstory - the home is question is my partners mothers - she upgraded it months ago and got a new EE-BrightBox. Partners mother does not know how it all works and has never questioned the speed of the connection.

I have finally plugged my computer in the room next door to the router and I am experincing this terrible speed.

6 REPLIES 6
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Fibre Optic speed is very slow.

Hello @Jackarii,

Welcome to the community,

Could you please look at this thread and give the information that is asked for in the thread please?:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-home-phone/Need-Help-with-Your-Home-Broadband-Speed-or-Conne...

by Jackarii Investigator
Investigator

DSL Status:

TATUS Configured Current Line Status -- UP Link Type -- Fast Path Operation Mode Automatic G.993.2 (VDSL2) DATA RATE INFORMATION Upstream 9999 (Kbps) Downstream 40000 (Kbps) DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 13.6 (dB) 16.1 (dB) Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 10.8 (dB) Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator Output Power -10.3 (dBm) 12.9 (dBm) Fast Path FEC Correction 255902356 556522 Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- -- Fast Path CRC Error 0 0 Interleaved Path CRC Error -- -- Loss Of Signal Defect 4 0 Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 0 Interleaved Path HEC Error -- -- Error Seconds 123 37671 STATISTICS Received Data 27160789 (Kbits) Transmitted Data 20632954 (Kbits)

Speed Test - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1497203327178996355

System Log - 

System Uptime is: 1682:52:30
Current Time/Date is: 18:50:45 11 Jun
by Grand Master
Grand Master

You are getting the top speeds, but you seem to have a lotta FEC Corrections which trigger retransmissions & therefore reduce your effective speed.

Try plugging your router into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Post the router stats speedtest when plugged into test socket.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Jackarii Investigator
Investigator

I don't have a split-face socket. I have a ADSL Modem converter plugged into that wall where the lead will plug into the router - Would changing the ADSL Modem converter thing work? I have a spare one 

by Jackarii Investigator
Investigator

I've done the quiet line test and it was fine.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's worth a try.

The cause could be your old socket or wiring. You never said if the house had any extension sockets, even if unused.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.