Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI: EE's New Smart WiFi Router UI Admin Interface

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

EE Smart WiFi Router UI 

Compliments @GlossyWhite @ TBB Forums.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
8 REPLIES 8
Pippincp
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Very useful. It should be made sticky.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks. Will do! 

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Skewiff
Visitor

Hi, I have just joined EE broadband (FTTC). Been an EE user since my mobile was 0345 number. I have had a smart hub one delivered, not one of these smart wifi routers. Should i have had one of these new routers?

@Skewiff : No, EE only supplies them with its Full Fibre BB (FTTP). You also get 1 if you order the EE Smart WiFi add-on.

TMaskell
Contributor
Contributor

The only negative I have is that you can no longer split wifi frequencies which used be helpful with certain devices. Hopefully they might add this as a feature soon!

I was pondering this myself, and brought it up in a conversation with broadband tech support this morning. We both sort of concluded that if you have that massive amount of broadband, as compared to the 50-76 Mbps on FTTC, you probably wont suffer congestion or slowdown on 5Ghz as there is more than enough "lanes" if you will for all those devices to travel on. This might be why it is no longer there. However, I am wondering if my 2.4Ghz devices such as WiFi bulbs might struggle to get connected to the new hub, as we had to split them for the bulb to connect at all.

IT-4BusyPeople
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

" you probably wont suffer congestion or slowdown on 5Ghz as there is more than enough "lanes" if you will for all those devices to travel on."

Not sure about this, the EE SmartHub only supports a very limited subset (basically 4) of the 5Ghz channels licenced for usage in the UK, which are the same as those used by BT and other major residential ISP providers... So it has remained in its box and I use something which fully supports ALL the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels licenced for usage in the UK. I'm a little surprised that EE (and other UK ISPs) seem think it is okay to ship routers that are not fully WiFi Alliance compliant.

pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

@TMaskell  Never going to happen. It would break their Home WiFi disc capability. Don't forget, ISP's use the "0ne size fits all" model.

@Spitfire400The answer is to turn off 5ghz, connect the 2.4 devices then turn 5Ghz back on.