by deetap Contributor
Contributor

Extremely slow off/on broadband

Hi all

I've have been with EE for my broadband for just over two weeks. The connection has generally been ok(ish) - maybe a tad slower then i expected. But on friday the connection suddenly went extreamily slow. So slow i would mostly get time out errors when trying to view webages etc. Occasionaly it would load un un-styled version of the page. It was like this for about 12 hours before i called EE.

They couldn't diagnose the problems, saying there was no fault on the line etc. We arranged to have an engineer come around on monday (yesterday). Oh course a few hours later the connection sorted itself out - all seemed ok so i cancelled the engineer visit.

Unfortunetly , the problem has come back again. I can connect to router etc, but anything 'web' is extreamily slow. So slow it's almost not connected at all. Webpages time out, IM messages take 30 or so minutes to go through etc.

Router is connected to master socket with nothing else connected. I've tried connecting dirrectly to different lan ports and get same issue.

Has anybody any tips before i call EE again?

Here's the info i can get:

Time Connected

01:08:35

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 10.02.00.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-07 at 10.01.51.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-07 at 10.01.41.png 

I can't get to any speedtest sites, just get timeout errors. I don't know the exchange i'm on but my postcode is SE4 if that helps.  

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Extremely slow off/on broadband

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Post the router stats & Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by deetap Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the reply, 

No other wire / extensions going into master socket

Tried quiet line test - all ok

Plugged router into test socket, rebooted - at first it wouldn't connect at all. Line status kept switching between 'training' and 'down'. But back up now, so here's stats...

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 11.10.33.png

Uptime : a few minutes (as i rebooted the router)

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 14.20.13.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-07 at 14.19.57.png

by deetap Contributor
Contributor

and this is after an uptime of 15mins

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 14.33.18.png

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Where's the Data Rates in those last stats. They are what this is all about.

Why are you posting the router stats out of order? It's confusing me & making me doubt some of the figures. The Data Rates should be near the top not at the bottom.

Could this be a new Runtime Code Version? What is that as given under System?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by deetap Contributor
Contributor

sorry i had to do a screen grab in mulitple parts (as it wouldn't all fit on the screen).

The data rate is still:

Upstream/Downstream

575 (Kbps)
1179 (Kbps)
by deetap Contributor
Contributor

latest combined stats in right order 🙂

bb_stats.png

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You should be syncing at about 6 Meg instead of the 1179 K that you are. I think (some of the figures don't quite fit) the reason you are not is that the DLM system has put you on a banded profile in response to past errors on your line, near the bottom of the 4th lowest of these ADSL Banded Profiles, altho' you now have no significant errors. You need to call EE to get the DLM reset in order to remove any banding. However should significant errors persist the DLM will reapply banding.

by deetap Contributor
Contributor

ok, thanks for taking the time to take a look. i'll give them a ring again.

by deetap Contributor
Contributor

Quick update: EE have passed it over to bt to take a look.

But i've noticed a possible pattern. The internet seems to be going down between 9:30ish  and 5:30ish every day - could this be a thing or just a coincidence?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What for the whole 8 hours or on & off? How frequently?

by deetap Contributor
Contributor

From Mon it's been on and off (but mostly off) between 9:30 to 5:30 every day. Seems to be fine in the evenings/night etc.

The router says i'm connected, but it's connected extreamily slow, so i just get a load of timeouts when trying to view webpages, IM messages will take 20 or so minutes to get though etc.

i'm leaning towards coincidence at the moment but wondered if anyone had had something similar, or if ee do some sort of throttling during work hours that may be configured wrong?

I'm not at home today, so can't post router status etc,

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @deetap

When @XRaySpeX is available I'm sure he will try to help you further.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

by deetap Contributor
Contributor

No update from BT/EE, i'll ring them tomorrow. Here's my current stats:

Screenshot_20171110-082132.pngIMG_20171110_083242.jpg 

I did get an email from EE though, saying "good news about your broadspeed speeds"  your "Line Speed is 3.1 Mb/sec". Nice to know 😕

by

Hi @deeptap

Please do update us as soon as you speak to customer services.

Thank you

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You are still being put on a banded profile at the top of the 3rd lowest band. This is making more sense as this is typical.

by deetap Contributor
Contributor

Latest update:

While on this lower band my connection was pretty stable, all be in very slow.

They switched my band so it seems im connected quicker again but unfortunately the original problems seem to be back again (web page time outs, etc.)

If I ping an IP address I get about 70%/80% packet loss.

I'm on another 3 day 'leave it to settle' period now so I'll see how things are after that.

Screenshot_20171114-161451.png

by

Hi @deetap

After the three days, please come back and share how you are progressing.

Thank you

Richard

🙂

by deetap Contributor
Contributor

My connection has basically been off (router says connected as in my above pic - but I can't connect to anything) since the change. Should i wait for the 3 days to be up, all call EE again now.

by

Hi @deetap

Thanks for getting back to me 🙂

I know it may not be ideal but I would recommend waiting the 3 days as they have recommended.

Thank you for your patience

Richard

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.