by Mac_TN Investigator
Investigator

Extremely slow EE Broadband speed - Please help!

When I log into my router it shows a downstream rate of 0.74mb/s, however both wired and wireless speed tests only return a download speed of 0.13 mb/s.

Its been like this for a couple of days now. I have turned the router off and on a few times and also reset the router this morning.

The normal speed I get is 0.47 mb/s. Am I missing something obvious?

STATUS Configured Current Line Status -- UP Link Type -- Interleaved Path Operation Mode Automatic G.992.1 (G.DMT)

DATA RATE INFORMATION Upstream 448 (Kbps) Downstream 736 (Kbps) DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION Operation Data

Upstream Downstream

Noise Margin 13.0 (dB) 7.4 (dB)

Line Attenuation 31.5 (dB) 63.5 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End

Indicator Output Power 12.1 (dBm) 15.1 (dBm)

Fast Path FEC Correction -- --

Interleaved Path FEC Correction 20637 4

Fast Path CRC Error -- --

Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 223

Loss Of Signal Defect 0 0

Fast Path HEC Error STR -- --

Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 44

Error Seconds 110 0

STATISTICS

Received Data 405337 (Kbits) Transmitted Data 64025 (Kbits)

INTERNET Broadband Type ADSL

Broadband State Connected

Internet State Connected

Time Connected 01:15:43

Downstream Rate 0.74 Mbps

Upstream Rate 0.45 Mbps

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Mac_TN Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Re: Extremely slow EE Broadband speed - Please help!

Hi, I have had open reach engineers out and they have found no faults, I can only conclude that the EE router just doesn’t perform as well as the BT router I had before. With such slow speeds anyway any dip in performance is very noticeable. 

Still, I can just scrape a 4g signal so I’ve upgraded my mobile to an X with 100gb of data so I’ll use that instead 😂

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page. Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Mac_TN Investigator
Investigator

Hi, XRayspeX,  

SYSTEM LOG This page shows various system events like administrator login/logout, broadband connection status.

System Uptime is: 05:03:00
Current Time/Date is: 12:11:27 29 May

is that everything you need?

Cheers
by
EE Employee

Hi @Mac_TN

@XRaySpeX will require full router stats, block out any sensitive information.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Mac_TN Investigator
Investigator

Specifically? I have already posted the router status info plus the additional info asked for. If there is anything more can you trell me which tab its on on the router?

Highlighted
by
EE Employee

My apologies, I did not see the stats further up @Mac_TN.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You could be getting a lotta FEC Corrections which would require retransmissions & therefore slow your apparent throughput.

Try plugging your router into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Repost the router stats, uptime & speedtest result when plugged into test socket.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Mac_TN

Please do come back with the stats for @XRaySpeX when you get a second.

Thank you

Richard

🙂

by Mac_TN Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Hi, I have had open reach engineers out and they have found no faults, I can only conclude that the EE router just doesn’t perform as well as the BT router I had before. With such slow speeds anyway any dip in performance is very noticeable. 

Still, I can just scrape a 4g signal so I’ve upgraded my mobile to an X with 100gb of data so I’ll use that instead 😂

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Openreach only care about getting a signal at the test socket.  I would suggest you double check any wired phone extensions you have. Disconnect them at the back of the master socket as they are often a source of interference. The BB router is a good router - I doubt a better one would change things.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.