by matthewkeogh50
Explorer

External Ip access to ssh server

Hi, 

I have a fiber connection with EE using the brightbox 2 router. Now I've setup a home SSH media/nas server which I will require access to when out of the house (on an external network) I have setup the "port fowarding" in the router setup) however when I try to ping the ip that is displayed on the status page, I'm assuming thats the routers public ip (from an external network) the request times out. Can anyone advise what router setup is needed to be able to access my server from an external network? 

Thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: External Ip access to ssh server

Disable "Discard Ping To WAN Interface" in the Firewall. This will have no bearing on the use of your SSH server.

Beware that EE IPs, whilst v. sticky, are liable to change upon a resync.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
4 REPLIES 4
by
EE Employee

Good Afternoon @matthewkeogh50

Thanks for joining the EE Community! Smiley Happy

I'm not going to lie - I have no idea when it comes to the more technical stuff with routers etc.

@XRaySpeX is there any advice you can offer?

Hopefully our resident BB expert can help.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Disable "Discard Ping To WAN Interface" in the Firewall. This will have no bearing on the use of your SSH server.

Beware that EE IPs, whilst v. sticky, are liable to change upon a resync.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by matthewkeogh50
Explorer

Hi @XRaySpeX,

Thanks for the reply. Could you please advise how I do this in the router or does it just mean disabaling all the routers firewall?

Thanks

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, it's just a single setting under Firewall / Intrusion Detection. 

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.