by Lptucker
Visitor

Equipment support new smart hub router

Hello, I recently spoke to broadband tech as I get dead spots in my house with the brightbox2 and this is causing problems with some wireless devices in my house , we tried changing the channel etc but it was no good.

The agent spoke to her TL who authorized to send out a new smart hub router, however another brightbox2 was sent out, I've been back in touch with the same agent but they say they are unable to get in touch with the department that sends out the smart hub. 

Please can someone solve this issue for me ?

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Equipment support new smart hub router

Hi @Lptucker

Wifi dead spots are common especially in older houses. This is one of the reasons there are two frequencies (2.4, 5) as both have different qualities. 

If you just want to extend your wifi then look at extenders on Amazon as they are reasonably inexpensive. 

It would seem from your call to EE that they assume your brightbox 2 is defective and sent you another one out. If this doesn't solve the problem then you will need extenders as mentioned above. 

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @Lptucker

Thanks for coming to see us 🙂

Please let us know how you get on with the brightbox 2 replacement.

I can see that @Northerner has offered some ideas and support to you.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

WiFi dead spots are a common problem and a wifi extender would be a better solution than a new router.  Yes there are better routers out there, but they will possibly only extend the range by 20% or so.

I had a BB2 with dead spots upstairs in a 1920's 3 bed house.  I bought a Netgear N6400 router to replace and that gave me a little bit more range than the BB2. (it also had dual Bands 2.4 and 5GHz although that choice to offer 5GHz did not give better range, merely better throughput at close ranges for some devices).  I then added a cheap Netgear wifi extender and that re-broadcasts both Bands to the dead spots.   (there is no reason to think wifi extender will not give benefits to the BB2).

I would think that is a better solution than a Smart Hub with a vague marketing promise of being "better" wifi.  There are no posts on the forum yet about how much better SmartHubs are as they have only been given to new customers who have not had a BB2 to compare with.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Far better to be looking at wireless range extenders than at changing routers, particularly 1 with an unproven track record.

The SH is only a fraction faster over WiFi than the BB2 & a little faster than the BB1.

The SH syncs about the same speed as the BB2 and about 10% slower than the BB1.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.