by Ky-haggis Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

EE smart hub restarting

Upgraded from BT broadband to EE fibre two week ago and it’s been great,but the smart hub keeps restarting itself randomly it could be 20 mins/2 hours or 5 hours there’s no predicting it, we have had an engineer come and test the line and put new parts in the cabinet do all necessary troubleshooting the engineer assured us that there is no fault on Openreach’s end,  I’m  at a loss with the constant drop out while trying to stream tv apps or play games online please help.

48 REPLIES 48
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: EE smart hub restarting

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

What do you mean by "restarting"? Does it switch itself OFF/ON? Does the BB disconnect or is it just the WiFi drops? What is the sequence of the light colours?

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

Basically it switches it’s self off and on again, with loss of bb the lights go green to yellow then teal, but the lights on the modem for internet and ADSL stay on, in the event log it says the power button was pressed also in event log before “power button press” there’s  an event “hub activated against drive management system” 

Valued Contributor

Just had an email to say EE are sending a new smart hub, so hopefully it will be sorted, I’ll keep you updated with any news 

thanks 

Valued Contributor

New EE smart hub arrived today was very hopeful given the fact that all other possibilities had been explored, but it was short lived as the same problem has persisted and after just 20 mins, then again an hour later, Also turned off Wi-Fi with old SH and it was less Frequent but did still happen, will the event log hold any insight as to what is happening ? Hopefully there is a solution to this.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Ky-haggis.

Are you able to try the router in another plug socket?

It could be a problem with the socket since two routers have had the same issue.

Jon

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's advisible for the router to be kept connected to the master phone socket.

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

We have 4 sockets 2 doubles I’ve tried the hub in all, same thing happens in all, only thing I could try is else where in the room, if the wires will go that far.

Valued Contributor

Done all that same thing happens, as for quiet line test, there was very minimal noise I was only just able to hear it.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Then there is a fault on your line. The QLT should be silent. Report it as a voice fault only.

Valued Contributor

I’ll give them a call tomorrow, thanks 

by

Let us know how you get on @Ky-haggis

Leanne 🙂

Valued Contributor

So we have reported a voice fault and are awaiting an engineer appointment. 

by

Thanks for reporting this @Ky-haggis

Keep us updated if you can 🙂

Valued Contributor

Engineer has been, tests on line came back “clean as a whistle” his words, modem was changed and so far the network has been up for an hour and a half, when he left our house did go to the cabinet to run test so don’t know what the out come was. But if it continues to happen after all test coming back great and two different routers and now two modems, I give up so fingers crossed. 

by

Hi there @Ky-haggis

Thanks for the update 🙂

Fingers crossed for you that it's now sorted.

Leanne.

Valued Contributor

Its the same every 3 hours or so the smart hub is losing connection and rebooting but the modem doesn’t, it don’t make no sense to me.

by

Hi @Ky-haggis

Has this happened again today?

Leanne 🙂

Valued Contributor

Yes, with all line tests and our second router and our second modem. 

by

I see @Ky-haggis

Have you reported this to our Broadband Gurus?

They will be able to get this looked into further for you.

Leanne.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.